1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with OS problem.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Ksan01, May 7, 2007.

1. Ksan01

Ksan01 Member

Hello guys, I am having a problem with my dell computer OS system. It is XP pro and the hard drive went out in my computer and I replaced it. When I tried to reinstall my OS it only gives me a 30 day trial and then cuts off, so I now have reinstalled it. I called dell and they told me they could not help and that it was a microsoft problem to contact them. When I tried to register the OS on-line it gives a phone number to call and when I call the phone number they told me to buy a new OS system.

Why? Is this right? I have a OS system already and I have the regestry number for the OS on the side of my computer so why would i have to buy another OS? Is there any way you guys know of to get this thing to work? I thought when you owned the OS and had the serial number with it that it would work why in the world do i need to buy a new OS. It is not on any other computer at all and came on this one. Thank you for your time and help on this.

2. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

So your CD-KEY works and you can successfully install Windows XP, but you're having problems activating it?

There are programs you can download that will bypass the "Windows XP Activation." I used to have one I'll see if I can find it.

3. Ksan01

Ksan01 Member

That would help me a GREAT deal, thank you VERY much.

I do not understand what is going on here. I have a LEGAL version of windows XP Pro. It came with my computer. I have my ID key code for it and everything. I can install it and use it for 30 days and then I have to re-install it or activate it but when i try to activate it, it won't work. I don't understand why. I have called Dell and Microsoft and they will not help. So I really did not want to buy another copy of windows when I have already bought one and it won't work. What is to say that I go buy another one with the key code and the same thing happens, why is it doing this?

4. Ksan01

Ksan01 Member

Well, I want to thank you for your reply to my problem. Out of anger I just called Microsoft again and explained this was a legal copy of windows and that I had just finished up-grading my system with more ram a new harddrive and a new GFX card. They gave me a number that activated the OS so now I am happy after being VERY mad at Dell and Microsoft for a whole weekend.

P.S. NEVER, EVER........buy a Dell computer. That is all.....well almost all......thank you......now, that is all.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't blame dell on this as they just build & bundle the system with software, microsoft is the 1 responsible for windows.

6. Ksan01

Ksan01 Member

Sorry I should have made myself more clear. Dell computers are JUNK. My harddrive has went out, my GPU went out just 3 months after getting the computer and it was a $300.00 dollar card, the psu has went out twice and I can't even change the motherboard or CPU because Dell makes it to where their stuff only works with other Dell stuff and will fry if you try it with other stuff. Dell computers are made cheap and sold high.

The customer support is BAD. They sold my Nephew a small computer that over heats like crazy because it is so small and they didn't put any fans in it. The only way he can keep it from locking up is to take the side off the case and blow a fan into it. He is 18 and knew nothing about computers and ordered this junk, when i called them and talked to them about returning his computer and getting something better they said no way and that the over-heating was not from them, which it IS from them because their design is AWFUL. Way to small and no fans. It would take a moding master to change the case too and you would have to order a Dell PSU or fry the motherboard when you changed cases. So yea Dell is JUNK I say again J U N K. Never ever buy a Dell. If my harddrive had not went out I would have never had this problem to start with and yes I know they all have trouble but I have a very old HP I bought like in 1994 and it has NEVER had any trouble and the Dell is like two years old and stays down. IMO Dell is the worst system you can get. I am going to build my own from now on and i would tell everyone never buy a Dell

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i agree on that & with other name brand computers as they are harder to upgrade or repair. had a customer pick up his computer this past saturday as his motherboard or psu went. was a compaq low height desktop that used a propriatory psu & motherboard. was able to salvage his cpu, ram, hd, rom drive & videocard into a standard motherboard but an ibm netvista case. altogether cost him $100 which included fresh install of xp.