1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help with putting Subtitles IN the movie file.

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by xHaydenx, Feb 13, 2007.

1. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I've got some movies but they're not in English; however, they came with subtitles: a .SUB file and an IDX file.

I can use VOBSUB and get them to play on my PC, but I don't think it'll work if I burn the movie to a disc and play it on my DVD player, which plays DIVX.

My question: is it possible for me to add the subs into the movie and then burn it so it'll play on my DIVX player? i don't care if I can't turn them off or not. Is there a way to re-encode them on or something?

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Some players support VOBsubs. If your player is DivX certified then you could mux them as xsubs and they should definatly work. Otherwise you could OCR them to an srt. Most MPEG-4/AVI capable SAP's support external srt subs. OCR'ing can take some time, but still no where near the time required to re-encode, plus re-encoding reduces quality (lossy recompression + the fact that subs aren't easy to compress).

3. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Yeah, I didn't think re-encoding would be the way to go.

My player is DIVX certified, but how do I mux the subs as xsubs?