1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help! Xbox crashed after installing XBMC

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by treblig83, Mar 17, 2007.

1. treblig83

treblig83 Member

First off, I don't really know what I'm doing and just soft modded my xbox following a tutorial on these forums. The soft mod went fine and I installed evolution X, everything was working fine and dandy. Then tonight I followed another tutorial to install XBMC. It said to replace the evolX files with the XBMC files. I did this, and now when I start up my xbox I get a message saying "Service required. Call Customer Support" with a 14 in the upper left corner. I backed up my c and e drives after softmodding, but now I am unable to ftp into my xbox. It also won't load any dvds or anything like that. The only thing I can think that I may have done wrong is that I accidentally installed evolX in the c drive and not the e drive. Am I totally screwed or is there something I can do? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. treblig83

treblig83 Member

OK, sorry, scratch that last post. I DID read through all the relevant forums on the topic but none of the suggestions seemed to help. I tried booting up the xbox with the original game used to mod it before and nothing happened. Then magically it worked for some reason, so I reinstalled evolX and everything is go again. However, it would be killer if someone could tell me how to correctly install XBMC without having this problem occur again.

3. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

instead of changing evox files you need to change your dashboard files to be more specific. there is a couple different methods of this, sometimes the e:\ dashboard is either located in a folder called e:\dashboard and files are in there but the default.xbe is located in the e:\ itself, so you that way you could download an "xbe shortcut maker" that way you can make a default.xbe pointing at xbmc and just swtich the default.xbe or if the dashboard files are all in e:\ ,most of the time this way they are the files in the drive that are not in folders, i am pretty sure with evox there is a skins folder and a default.xbe so that way you would delete the skins and default.xbe files and switch them with xbmc, but don't copy the xbmc folder to the e:\ copy the contents of the xbmc folder.

if you want you can pm me and maybe i can meet you on msn messenger or something and guide you through, i kind of wrote this quick so i hope it kinda makes some sense.

4. CoolHero

CoolHero Guest

I DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO DOWNLOAD XBMC AND WHAT TO COMPILE AND WHATS DXK OR SOMETHING...I AM COMPLETLEY LOST AND WOULD BE ETERNALLY THANKFUL IF SOME COULD WRITE A TUTORIAL OR SOMETHING OF THAT SORT TO TRY TO HELP ME. AND IF ANYBODY DOES USE SIMPLE TERMS, IM A SIMPLE MEXICAN WHO GETS CONFUSED VERY EASILY! HELP PLZ OR I WILL HAVE TO KILL MYSELF. IVE TRIED EVERYTHING....!!!

5. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

How about you: don't type in all caps, use google to find a download and/or tutorial, and don't sound like an idiot. You don't have to be suicidal over this.

6. CoolHero

CoolHero Guest

WOW I CANT BELIEVE YOU JUST CALLED ME AN IDIOT! IF I WAS NEAR YOU I WOULD FIND YOU AND BEAT YOU TO A SENSELESS PULP...IM SORRY BUT ITS THE TRUTH AND FOR TYPING IN ALL CAPS I DO WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT!!!!

7. handsom

handsom Regular member

@Coolhero

If you'd just used the search function, or even checked the first page of this section, you'd find TONS of tutorials already posted, all of which are in depth, and designed for people who've never done this.

Instead, you hijacked someone else's thread, which is generally considered rude when their problem hasn't yet been solved. Not to mention you did it in all caps, which is generally considered yelling in most forums, you're unlikely to get a positive response from this in any forum...

The answer to your question, is try the search function, there's no point in reposting something that already exists here literally dozens of times. I'm sure you'll find many helpful ones if you search, and I wish you luck with it.

@xxteakxx
    I'm kind of surprised you just went off on him like that, be careful on that, I speak from experience when I say that getting banned sucks a lot.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

CoolHero, lightning struck because i can when i want to!!!

9. handsom

handsom Regular member

ROFL, that was the funniest ban EVER!!!

I almost want to put that as my sig! :D

10. ddp

go ahead but remember where it came from.

11. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

Yeah but I make sure I know who I'm talking to. I only go off on the people that run in screaming with the most obvious question ever, and telling people to give them links and make them tutorials. It just surprises me on how desperate people can be.

12. Blasterjk

Blasterjk Guest

MMMMKKKK, first off, with your xbox off turn it on using the "open tray" button only. Alot of mods use this as a safety to fix stuff. If you installed one that did it will give you a "revert to backup" option. If not, read on painfully.

IF you did the tut successful to softmod your xbox then that means you backed up your 2 partitions which is where the important stuff is. In fact the "a" drive is all you really need to get your box up and running again. Find and download a program called xbox hardrive maker. It will have folders labeled a,e, and eeprom inside.(f and g if you have a massive hd installed like i do). These are the "partitions" of your harddrive. They are similar to having many linux partitions. The "a" folder is where your original xbox boot is located. You said you backed up the drive, then just place the files into the "a" folder for boot, the "e" folder is where most apps are stored like game saves and such, also make sure your eeprom is in your eeprom folder which will be the 3rd folder. If you dont have your eeprom backed then quit reading now and cry, or hope a master password was set. If you did an entire hd backup you should have those too. put those in. Now read the instructions for the xbox maker program and it will tell you to click the bat file if i remember right, which will create a bootable iso. Burn the iso. next is the fun part, install your xbox hd into your pc and boot it. make sure the hd is connected as the primary master drive (end of cable with jumper set to master)
    when you boot your pc it will read disk, if it doesnt than your bios needs to be set to to disk read before hd. In the program you will be given i think 5 options (been a few years for me) they are all self explanatory such as 1.build a new hd from scratch, 2. re-build one, blahblahblah, anyway, you need to find the option to "unlock hd" read through that and unlock your hd. it will ask to reboot. do that. then "rebuild hd using disk" do that. The whole program is quite easy and will walk you through every step. the end step being relocking your hd so the xbox will be able to read it.

Sorry im in a hurry so this is a very fast and to someone whom doesnt know what they are doing, confusing tut but if by magic you actually can follow it and do it, when your modded box is up and running again...ftp it and copy ALL files to your hd of your pc for a fast easy way to mod, play around, change things as long as it is not drive "A" you can boot and ftp. I have installed entirely new mods using ftp as long as your box stays on you can delete everything and replace.

ps..dont edited by ddp around if you dont know what your doing because it is easy to messup but time consuming to fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  13. ddp

Blasterjk, watch the language, post edited