1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by MIchad, Dec 2, 2004.

1. MIchad

MIchad Guest

I bought a WD 120GB hard drive which came with a new EIDE 40 pin 80 conductor cable and it said I must install with the new hard drive. Do I need to use this cable and will it be all right with my dvd rom?
    thanks!!

2. big_g-man

big_g-man Regular member

i got a WD 120 Gig, too. you do not need to use the IDE that came with the hdd as far as i know, i didn't. after all, they are the same cable. just hook up the new one to the old ide in place of the old hdd.

3. forkndave

forkndave Member

You don't need to use this cable as long as your old cable is 80 conductor. If your old cable is a 40 conductor cable you should use the new one. Most all hard drives made lately need an 80 conductor cable for best performance. Your DVD ROM doesn't care if it is 40 or 80.

4. MIchad

MIchad Guest

Thanx,
    My old one was a 40 conductor, so I will install the new one.

5. big_g-man

big_g-man Regular member

is 40 or 80 the number of pins in the cable?

6. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

They both have 40 Pins, just one has one wire per pin and the other has 2 wires per pin.

CJC

7. MIchad

MIchad Guest

the xbox is 40 pin/40 conductor and the new cable with the hard drive is 40 pin/80 conductor.

8. CJC

CJC Regular member

Yep, older drives only needed to 40 wire cables, but newer, larger drives need to 80 wire cable for best performance.

Basically i put a 80 wire cable on any hard drive over 40G on PC's i do, which im sure an Xbox is basically the same.

CJC

9. MIchad

MIchad Guest

I was putting my xbox together and discovered the new cable is not the same length as the xbox cable. The new one says to plug the blue end into the mobo, then the slave, then the master. Does it make a difference which end goes into the mobo? Because if I reverse it, it will then be long enough(due to the spaceing between slave and master).
    thanx again!

10. forkndave

forkndave Member

It shouldn't matter. I've turned cables around so they would reach reach the hard drives better with no problems. Also, as long as the hard drive jumpers are set to master or slave as appropriate you can plug the hard drive into either connector. I think the master has to go on the end for cable select systems, but I've connected the master to the center connector and the slave to the end connector and it didn't cause any problems. I've always connected the cable however it would fit best. If it doesn't work right you can always turn it back around. Some cables have clips on the M.B. end which might interfere with plugging into a hard drive, but I don't see a problem otherwise.