1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by plmr3p, Feb 22, 2005.

1. plmr3p

plmr3p Guest

HI ALL, I'M NEW TO THE TO THE WORLD OF COMPUTERS. I'VE BEEN LEARNING MAINLY THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR TO DATE. THROUGH THIS METHOD I HAVE DOWNLOADED 1CLICKDVD4.1 AND DVD43FREE TO AID BACKING UP MY DVD LIBRARY BUT FEEL I MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG BECAUSE I CAN NEVER RETRIEVE THE COPIES FROM THE HARD DRIVE.I'M PROBABLY SETTING THE OPTIONS INCORRECTLY IN THE OPTIONS MENU.
    COULD YOU PLEASE INFORM ME OF HOW I SHOULD GO ABOUT COPYING TO HD UNTIL I COPY AT A LATER DATE.( I ALSO HAVE COPYTODVD3SE)
    UR HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED GREATLY

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Let's avoid posting in all caps in the future - it's considered shouting.

It sounds as if your software is set to delete the image after a successful burn. You may want to look around the options to save the image.

You can use DVD Decrypter to rip a disc to your hard drive for copying at a later date :)

3. plmr3p

plmr3p Guest

Nephilim, my apologies. I will avoid posting in caps in future, I really wasn't aware of that.

Thanks for the info about DVD Decrypter. I will certainly give that a go.

I will search the options, is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for?

Thankyou for your advice.

4. hursty

hursty Active member

if you have problems finding the file,why dont you create one and put it on your desktop?

i dont use the app' you are talking about,but are you saying once you have copied it to your hardrive,you burn it?
    then when it comes to finding it again,you cant?
    like suggested,have a flick through the options menu and look for something like "delete image once done"(by that,i mean after it has been burnt)

try using the search option also
    the one on your start menu,
    start>search>files or folders>all files or folders>"the name of the film"

with regards hursty

5. plmr3p

plmr3p Guest

I've been trying DVDDecrypter this evening but still no joy. I've tried making a new folder and that works fine, when the decrypter has finished I am able to go into the folder, open it and see that there are a number of different files there. The problem is the files are shown in a format that is not recognised by my computer. At the end of decryption I get the success message. I really want to crack this but i could really do with the help from you guys in the know.Please can you talk me through what I need to do. Please understand that I am new to this and starting to get a little confused with all the different terms you use. Please explain, if you will, in stupid terms. I appreciate everyones help very much

6. diverj

diverj Regular member

Plmrp3,
    Scuba Pete gives an excellent tutorial in setting up DVDShrink and DVDDycrypter in this thread : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/133106

It helped me out a good bit. Also talks about the best blank media to purchase that is really cheaper price wise than what I use to get at Wal-Mart. Solved all of my problems.

Dennis

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  7. plmr3p

plmr3p Guest

Thanks for your help Dennis, I'll be following that up.I must admit a tutorial sounds like a really good idea.

Thanks again.

8. hursty

hursty Active member

when you use decrypter,what "MODE" are you using?
    file or iso?

can i ask why are you using decrypter to put the dvd onto your hardrive?
    why dont you use dvd shrink from the start?,unless of course you are having problems with protection issues.

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

=======DVD-5 -> DVD±R, Single layer DVD discs only (*Inc PS2*)=========

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-5 / PS2 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-5 / PS2 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

Note: You NEED a chipped PS2 to play these disks. Try http://www.gameworlddirect.co.uk or http://www.modchip.com

-------------------------------------------

========DVD-9 -> DVD±R, using only free software========

This is one good path to follow if you don't have any DVD software utilities at all.

Updated: 8th August 2004 (based on hembo's guide)
    Scope of this guide: To copy any DVD9 to one DVD±R(W) with all the contents or the 'main movie' only.
    Hard disc space needed: 20 Gbyte when backing up a movie on 1 DVD9.

Tools used:
    DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0
    DVD Shink 3.2 (note: if your drive is not NTFS you must use 3.2 or later)
    Download and install both of the above.
    Setting up DVD Shrink:
    Click on the Edit menu and then on Preferences...
    In the DVD Shrink Preferences window which opens, click on the File I/O tab
    As this guide only uses freeware, make sure that the Enable burning with Nero option is UNCHECKED

[​IMG]

Click the OK button

Ripping:
    Start DVD Decrypter
    Ensure you're in 'File' mode by pressing the 'F' key or selecting it via the 'Mode' option in the menu at the top
    If, for some reason, all files are not selected, press <Ctrl-A> to select ALL the files
    Make a note of the destination folder, for example 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS'

[​IMG]

Click the [DVD-image] button to start DVD Decrypter, this will take anything from 10 minutes and up, depending on your computer and DVD drive speed

[​IMG]

When it is finished, close DVD Decrypter

Re-authoring / Shrinking:
    Start DVD Shrink
    Click the [OPEN FILES] button on the main toolbar
    Navigate to C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS and click [Ok], this will take a few minutes while DVD shrink analyzes the DVD.

[​IMG]

When the analysis has finished, you will see the entire structure of the decrypted DVD files.

Jump to step 16 to backup the entire DVD, (like an episodic or series DVD like Friends or Simpsons), instead of just the 'main movie', and then adjust the compression for the extras and menus in order to leave more room for the main title.

Click the [RE-AUTHOR] button on the main toolbar and the DVD Browser tab should be active; if not, click on it
    Click and hold on 'Title 1' and drag it to the left-hand pane, under DVD

[​IMG]

If your movie is greater than 4.35GB then the movie is automatically compressed as you can see if you click on the 'Compression Settings' tab. Here you can deselect audio tracks and subtitles you don't want in order to minimize the compression of the video.

[​IMG]

Insert a blank DVD±R(W) into your DVD-burner
    Click the [BACKUP] button on the main toolbar
    Select ISO Image file and burn with DVD Decrypter as your target device

[​IMG]

Select an appropriate target file/folder for DVD Shrink to output to, for example 'C:\NEW_DVD.ISO'
    If your movie is greater than 4.35GB, then you can CHECK the 'Perform deep analysis' option on the Quality Settings tab to enhance the video quality. If it's not, there's no need to compress and you can't select that option.

[​IMG]

Click [OK]. If your movie is greater than 4.35GB it will take about 20 - 40 minutes depending on the length of the movie, and the complexity of the mpeg. Otherwise it will only take a few minutes.
    Once DVD Shrink has finished reauthoring and/or compressing, DVD Decrypter will automatically launch and burn the image to DVD without any user intervention
    When you have checked and are happy with the new DVD, you can delete the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD' folder, the 'C:\NEW_DVD' folder (if it exists) and the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD.ISO' file

========DVD-9 -> DVD+R DL, Double layer to Double layer! (1:1)==========

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-9 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-9 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank double layer disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

USE THE .MDS FILE IT CONTAINS THE LAYER BREAK INFO FOR BURNING!

Note: If your drive supports booktype / bit setting, remember to tell it to burn DVD+R DL discs as DVDROM. This will make them more compatible with players. The booktype / bit setting utility is accessed by clicking on the little 'book' icon when in ISO Write mode.

10. plmr3p

plmr3p Guest

a very big thanks to all. I havent had chance to try again yet but I did want to let you know that I appreciate your help very much. Fingers crossed

Thanks again