1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mjp1531, Oct 12, 2007.

1. mjp1531

mjp1531 Member

Ok I am really new to all of this burning stuff, but I had learned how to successfully burn with Nero 7 I think it was. Everything was perfect until recently. Now it freezes while transcoding. I tried clean tool and reinstall but it keeps freezing. I've tried letting it run overnight, even tried different movies. Nothing works. Someone told me to try converting with WinAvi then using Nero to burn. I've gotten as far as the conversion, but have no idea how to use Nero to burn that new file. I was also told that Nero sucks and I should use something else, but I really like Nero because i like the menu templates. So if there is any help you could give, it would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Please post your NeroVision log.

Nero saves a log every time you use it, whether you click save or not.
    It should be located here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision

We can look this over and see what the problem might be. Try to copy/paste just one log, you may have several in there. We only need one. :)

3. mjp1531

mjp1531 Member

ok well I just used clean tool again so I am going to try to burn again, then I will post log file asap :)

4. mjp1531

mjp1531 Member

ok now a new problem....clean tool won't do anything...it gets to the clean part and has been sitting there for a couple hours

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It usually takes just a minute or two. Close it and lets try something else.

If you have your install .exe, you can try to do a repair by reinstalling the program. The install.exe for Nero 7 also gives you the option to repair, modify or remove the program.

If you have tried this then here is another method...

First, off to filehippo.com for a couple of programs (if you don't have them already).

CCleaner:
    http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

The Nero Burning Rom 7.10.1.0 install .exe:
    http://filehippo.com/download_nero_7_premium/?2893

Download and install CCleaner.
    Download and save the Nero .exe

OK, seeing how the CleanTool won't remove Nero properly, let's try doing it the old fashoned way.... The Add/Remove programs feature.

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs

Remove Nero 7

Once that's done open CCleaner and click on the registry cleaning tool on the left.
    With all the boxes checked, run the cleaner. When asked if you want to backup your registry first, do so.... just in case.

OK, now that Nero is removed as much as possible and the left-over registry entries removed by CCleaner, install Nero again. You can try the program again or try running the CleanTool and reinstalling to be extra sure it's a clean install. Also don't forget that you can use the Nero install .exe to remove, repair or change your Nero settings.

A bit more about Nero settings duuring the install...

Installing Nero...
    I highly recommend that anyone installing Nero do a custom install. Do not allow Nero to install:
    1. The Ask toolbar
    Or....
    2. Nero Home or Nero MediaHome
    3. InCD (already deselected)

When the install is almost completed a tabbed menu will appear. This is the Nero file associations menu. It is here that Nero attempts to take control of every media file type on your PC.
    Note there are four tabs!
    This is what I do:
    Photos tab, click "Remove All".
    Video tab, click "Remove All".
    Music tab, click "Remove All"
    Options tab:, uncheck all but "Create desktop icon for Nero Startsmart".
    Now when I open a file or folder, I can always choose to "Open With Nero. The choice becomes mine and not Nero's.

That bit is just my opinion. If you like Nero to be all over your PC then do the normal full install.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  6. mjp1531

mjp1531 Member

ok I have restored my computer...used the clean tool.....used the registry cleaner....defragged....and still freezes in transcode. And I can't find the log file section either.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try a search.
    Start > Search > All files and folders.
    Copy/paste this into the Search "All or part of the file name":
    NeroVisionLog.txt
    Click on "More Advanced Options" and check the "search hidden files and folders".
    Click "Search".

Freezing during transcoding could be a symptom of an overheating CPU. Transcoding is CPU intensive.
    Turn off, unplug then open up your PC. Using canned air, gently blow out any accumulated dust and dirt from the CPU heatsink and fan. Make sure you don't spin the fans while doing this, it's not good for them. Check your case fans and any air inlets and make sure you are getting good airflow.

You could try a temperature monitoring program and see what the temps actually are, I have not had any luck getting people to do this but I thought I'd ask.

Download the free trial of Everest Ultimate:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/EVEREST-Ultimate-Edition.shtml

Install and open.

On the left, click "Computer" to expand, click "Sensor".
    On the left find your CPU temperature.
    With Everest running, start transcoding something and see what the CPU temp does.
    I don't know what processor you are using so I can't tell you exactly what you should be getting. If it's running more than 65C then you may have a problem though.

[​IMG]