1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please how to make my "old" Nero 6 work with my new burner?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by ammscray, May 16, 2007.

1. ammscray

ammscray Member

I've searched all around, I hope someone could maybe answer this question for me:

I've been using the OEM Nero 6.6.0.18 version that came with my sony DRU-710A burner for the past 3 years with no problems, and my sony just died, so I bought a lite-on LH-201H (funny since the sony is just a rebadged lite-on anyways)

and it came with Nero 7 but there's no way I wanna use that, BUT as you prolly know, my current Nero prog is the sony nero 6 version so it won't work with the new burner...

What do I need to do to make Nero work with my new burner, and still keep 6.6.0.18? I found a site that still sells Nero 6 ultra edition for a good price, do I just need to buy that and then run the 6.6.0.18 update?

I don't mind buying it, unless somoeone knows another way I can get out of my sony OEM version and into the full version (not 7)

thanks for your time!
    Ammscray

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

did you upgrade your Nero to Nero 7....... other wise if you didn't Nero 6.6.0.18 should recognize your new burner...... why not? Just because a new burner came with new software doesn't mean you have to use it. You should be able to use your Nero 6 version with any burner, provided that your drive was installed correctly!

If you upgraded Nero to version 7 and you want to get back to version 6.6.0.18 then all you have to do is uninstall Nero 7 (save your serial # first!) and then using cleaning tools and reinstall Nero 6:

Before udating to 6.6.0.18 I would save the serial #, uninstall Nero, then use the cleaning tools : http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero7_CleanTool.html
    then do a registry clean up(free registry cleaner, CClean: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloadpage.aspx?1) and defrag...... then reboot!

install package one:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_nero_burning_rom/?539

then install package two:
    http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/Patch_for_NVE3.html
    reboot and you're good to go!

3. ammscray

ammscray Member

hi thanks for the reply!

No, unfortunately the nero express 6 sony version will only work with sony burners, it says so when I try to open nero burning rom...

and no, I haven't and will not install nero 7, too many problems for my system, I want to stay with the stable system I have...

so should I buy that nero 6 full ultra version?

thanks again
    AM

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I never heard that a burner will only burn with one software! that's ridiculous. Any burner will work with any burning software so long as it's made for a DVD/CD burner! I've had computers since 1989 and I have many burning software that will work with ANY burner! Unless it's a Windows Vista DRM problem that stops the program from working at all! And I never heard of Sony having Nero make it's over version just for their burners! LOL I know that when you buy a burner they give you an OEM Nero version! But I never ever heard of Nero making a Nero version just for SONY BURNERS! And I know for a fact that your Lite-On will work with Nero 6.6.0.18! I'm going to contact Binkie who has Lite-On burners and she will advise you!

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

It's been a long time since a used an oem version of Nero so can't really remember if I had any problems with it recognizing a new drive or not.
    Have a few oem versions laying around though but could only find 1 right off. It only has 'for dvd rewriters only'
    If on the install cd it says something like 'For Use w/ (Insert Drive name Here' then yeah you can probably only use it with that drive.

Here's what Nero says about oem versions for a single recorder - FAQ #1

So looks like if you want to stick with 6 you'll need to buy a full version. Just deleting & adding the new serial may do the trick since the serial 'controls' what options you have.

What problems have you had with 7?

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I learned something today, Binkie! I also have an OEM version of Nero 6 when I bought my BenQ drive..... but I udated to 66018 and used my serial #, got all the features and it worked fine. I guess I'm lucky.... My Nero 6.6.0.18 works fine with my other drive, too!

7. binkie7

Yeah the serial # is the key - it's what 'unlocks' what you can and can't do with Nero.

If I could get my kid away from WoW for a bit I'll install one of the oem's on her pc - it's still a 'virgin' :)

8. ammscray

ammscray Member

ok thanks I'll buy that nero 6 full version then...do I have to uninstall current nero and use the clean tools and all that?
    thanks

9. binkie7

No you might not have to do a new install.

Entering the new serial # in product center (right hand bottom corner of smartstart - click on the icon w/ a flame in it) should give you the full version - non burner specific.

But can't hurt just to do a clean install. If you do the clean install even running the clean tool probably won't remove your current serial # from the registry.
    So when installing and you get the part with the serial # - if one is already population - delete it and enter the one you just bought.

10. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

yeah i would suggest that, use the clean tool, plus i would use a registry cleaner(after clean tool) just to make sure nothing of nero is left behind, ccleaner is a good free one if you dont have any already.

DL Ccleaner Here

then install the new version

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  11. ammscray

ammscray Member

thank you!