1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please insert a recordable media into drive Error

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jeradkays, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jeradkays

jeradkays Member

So I am using CloneDVD and I have AnyDVD.

The media I am using is: Sony DVD-R Ver 2.1/1x-16x

The type of DVD Drive I have is a Phillips SPD2410L1

I have burned my movies with verbatim DVD-R's most the time but I recently bought these sony's and they worked for about the first 5 or so. Then One day, I was writing to the disc and we got a power surge and it shut off my computer. Now, so far I have tried to burn 2 different discs with CloneDVD and now I get the error "Please insert a recordable media into drive G:"

any ideas?

2. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

First don't use sony to burn movies big mistake switch back to Verbatim 16x DVDR- the sony disc are, well, ok for pics or music but are not ANY good for movies, I think they do that so you can't make a backup, their burners are the same way at least that is what has happen to me but for sure for movies use Verbatim !

3. jeradkays

jeradkays Member

understood. i guess my question here though is: Is it the media I am using or did I screw something up because it was working with this brand earlier?

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

To find out what your true DVD manufacturer is. Just get this program called DVD Identifier and it will tell you that and then post the info on this thread and we can tell you if its your burner or the DVD you are burning with or something else.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Good Luck...

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The power surge is probably the cause of the problem. Go into device manager and uninstall the drive, reboot, and install it again manually if the computer does not do it automatically. That's assuming the power surge did not damage the drive.

Data are data and pits are pits. Sony 1-16X are perfectly good for movies if you have the right combination of drive that is compatible and DVD player that is compatible. Sony drives (now either from Lite-on or Optiarc) are somewhat restrictive in their support of media, but Sony does nothing special to prevent copying of movies. I suspect the problem you have is a driver corrupted by the power surge or maybe even damage to the drive.

6. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

I disagree on the Sony Blanks I've made to many Sony coasters. I made the switch to Verbatim now no Lego's,freeze ups and skips they work in all my stand alone players even the $29.99

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

A Sony drive or other drive set up to record Sony discs with the proper write strategy determined by the Sony MID code ought to give a good recording. A drive that lacks the Sony MID recognition code may apply default settings that are inadequate for a good recording. Sony has done some amazingly dumb things (root kits; screwed up files as DRM protection; insisting on complete distribution rights to chrome tape pigment), but they are not so evil/clever as to develop a disc that distinguishes data files from video files.

8. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

That sounds good, for each his own,I'm going own with may past experience happy coasters

9. jeradkays

jeradkays Member

so i uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted, i tried to update drivers which were up to date, I went tophilips website and got some stupid philips agent software that updates the drive...and still get the same problem.

something i did not notice before is my drive can not read anything. I put a CD and a Movie in and it does not read either of them...needless to say i still cant burn anything.

anymore ideas?

10. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

I hate to say this but you may have a bad drive for 40 bucks you can get a good burner

11. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I tend to agree its time for a new burner this one has its time up :)