1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor 708A, UDMA 2, and 80 connector IDE cable

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by schlar01, Feb 4, 2005.

1. schlar01

schlar01 Member

OK, question here....I've been using my Plextor 708A for some time now but after searching some threads, it sounds like you can increase performance by using a 80 connector 40 pin IDE cable. Well, of course I didn't read the instructions before, but the manual says it supports UDMA mode 2....does this mean that it will only support up to 2 or can I go higher?

I connected the cable but my BIOS automatically sets it to level 2 and when I modify it, it changes it back....XP also loads the secondary IDE channel at UDMA 2. Is there any around this? Am I stuck at this level until I buy a new drive that supports a higher level? If I did get a new drive, about how much better performance would I get?

Also, I have the latest firmware upgrades, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Thanks!!!

2. schlar01

schlar01 Member

Forgot to add....Decrypter is taking about 15 minutes for me right now. Does anyone get significantly less?