1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor 708A Vs Sony DRU530?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Florida, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Florida

Florida Guest

I want to get an 8x drive to use with DVDXcopy Platinum and the Plextor 708A looks good to me now. Are there any good reasons to wait for the Sony DRU530? Is the Sony drive likely to have a bigger buffer, does that really matter?

I plan to use a DVD ROM drive to rip and a DVD write drive to write.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2003
  2. Telstar

Telstar Member

If the current firmwares of Sony DRU-500AX/510A models are any indications of that of the DRU-530A, then don't hold your breath for any technical breakthrough over the competition, BTW, the 530A has only a 2MB buffer although it is a non-issue with buffer underrun prevention in every modern day burner.

Unlike Plextor, Sony never bothered to seriously address its DVD burners' inability to deal with cheap DVD media. If you only use Taiyo Yuden, Maxell, and TDK DVD media for burning and don't mind paying a premium for the same or lesser performance, then the Sony is definitely your choice. The Sony DRU-530A probably will be sold around $250-$270 when it is introduced later. The Plextor PX-708A currently can purchased around $220-$250.