1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plextor 716A +blue screen of death

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mpower611, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mpower611

mpower611 Guest

ive searched google and this fourum and have found no solutions to my problem....I have a Dell 4600 with SATA that has a 120 maxtor harddrive in SATA slot one and the plextor 716A in SATA slot 2. The problem is when ever i insert a DVD to rip to the hard drive, such as dodge ball, the shinnig and many others(i cant remember all of them but its not the DVDS i buy) i get the dreaded blue screen of death with all the numbers and errors and then i restart(i can post them in a bit if needed). It burns cd's fine but just has a problem with reading DVD's. This is really anoying cause i want to watch DVDs on my computer and once it reads the disc is a DVD it goes to hell.

*It is also reconignized by the BIOS.

*i cant update my BIOS either because its a Dell and they dont allow updated bois's cause then u can upgrade ur processer :(

is it the SATA controller? any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. bud710

bud710 Member

You say you installed it into sata slot 2, are you sure its a PX-716A because i have one & mine is ATA. I know plextor do a PX-712SA because i was going to buy that one then changed my mind to 716.

3. mpower611

mpower611 Guest

yes positive i jsut checked again in device manager.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You have the Plextor 716SA, then, not the 716A.

5. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

I agree 100%. If you can't even identify the hardware on your system, let alone what came with it, but what you installed yourself, then you should be in a forum for PC newbies, not DVD Burning newbies.

Now to try to help with your problem. If it is 716SA drive I can't help, because I haven't yet had a MB that supports SATA.

If it is a 716A then you may want to check your Master/Slave jumper setttings and cabling, although this doesn't sound like the problem since you can burn CD's. Maybe you have a bad Plextor drive. I have seen this listed as an issue on this site before. Although I have a 716A and have never had a problem, and many others will swear by them, there are also many who say that their drives were "bad" right out of the box.

Also, if Dell won't let you update your BIOS to match new technology then maybe you should start looking for other technology than Dell. Just my opinion.

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You cannot update your BIOS? It will NEVER cease to amaze me that people spend an absolute fortune on stuff & never do research on it! Why, oh why do people hand over such large amounts money to be told that you are not allowed to modify. If you bought car & you were told you could not change the make of tyres or exhaust etc you could fit, would you buy it? I think not!

This is typical of manufacturers. Amazing, absolutely amazing. I knew absolutely nothing about PCs, so I built my own. It was the best decision ever! Dell, Time, all these people truly suck ass.

Pulsar