1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEXTOR 716SA VS SONY DRU 710A

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by c56136, Dec 5, 2004.

1. c56136

c56136 Member

i have the plextor now and am getting the sony dual layer as well. my objective is to burn from one dvd burner to the other. rather than burning on to the computer and then extracting the image from there. will there be any potential problems for this? will this accomplish my objective? if problems, how can i avoid them? thank you in advance...to anyone.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can certainly expect problems as burning DVDs on the fly is a dicey game at best for 95% of those who try it.

What software and methods are you plannning on using to achieve this?

Any reason you need a second burner when a $30 DVD-ROM would serve this purpose just as well?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  3. c56136

c56136 Member

i will be using shrink and decrypter. only reason i want to do this is convenience--nothing else. never thought about the dvd rom would do the same thing...see, as my name user status indicates..."newbie".anyhow, cant i use the sony-say as the dvd rom and the plextor as the burner...or vice versa? thank you so much for replying.

4. Nephilim

Burning a DVD on the fly is an invitation for problems in most cases. The data process has to go on perfectly with no interruptions (lossless linking will trash a video disc) and is especially difficult to achieve at high speeds. The safest and most reliable method for OTF copying is to set the write speed to something low such a 2X or 4X so the ROM can keep up with the write process in order too ensure uninterrupted data transfer. Writing to a temp image doesn't take all that much longer and you'll be assured of a perfect copy every time :)

You can try it if you want but don't expect smooth sailing. In any case a Second burner, in my opinion, is unnecessary unless you plan to burn two DVDs simultaneously which is another task that requires a healthy amount of uninterrupted data flow.

An inexpensive DVD-ROM such as a Lite-On 166S or 167T will rip discs at full speed as opposed to most burners that are locked to a 2X read speed (you're Plextor is an exception, look in the manual for SpeedRead). Plus they save alot of wear and tear on your expensive burner :)

5. c56136

c56136 Member

i looked under this topic "to manually enable speedread and spped up dvd playback"
    here is what it says when you change the speedread--i can do this manually. it says "the plextor 716a normally plays at a slow speed witha a max of 2x clv speed to reduce drive noise. you can speed up dvd playback by turning on speedread."
    -then the instructions how to do it

-says [after this] "speed read changes the defaul dvd read speed to 6x-16x CAV for sinle layer dvd discs or 3x-to 8x cav for dual layer dvd disc."

in the front it says "reads stamped dvd discs up to 16x"
    also "reads dvd video discs with css at up to 2x"

Is this correct info that you are looking for? thank you again for the reply

6. Nephilim

That's the correct information - my Plextor PX-708A is the same. Even though drives are rated for 16X they rarely if ever reach that speed. Here's a link to some speed tests I did with both my Plextor PX-708A and my Lite-On 166S :)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/107206

7. c56136

c56136 Member

so...what do you think? cant i just used one of them as a dvd rom and the other as the burner? or should i just put in my old dvd burner. if i do the latter, will i be able to put a video in one and burn with the plextor at the same time? and, can i accomplish this with the sony as well? thank you for the reply

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

C56136,
    It sounds like your not trying to actually burn on the fly (Disk To Disk) If what you are trying to achieve is puting the original DVD in a drive and Then a blank in your writer, run Shrink as you normally would, but you select ISO Image file and burn or burn with Nero which ever you prefer. Then you can walk away from your computer and come back later and presto! you have a copied back up of your movie! Then yes you can do what you are wanting to do with 100% sucess because it is still not actually copying on the fly because shrink is putting the files or image on your HD first anyway. All this really does is save you from going threw all the hard work of inserting a blank disk when prompted. Now if on the other hand your goal is to just copy a already copied disk from one to another then the answer is still yes, and it works fine if you don't over do the speed keep it around x4. I would recommend Copy2DVD to do this as it is a little more stable than Nero and uses less resources. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

9. c56136

c56136 Member

thank you for the reply. i use shrink and or decrypter. so, keeping it at 4x for the write or read? is there really an advantage of having two burners? the "moderator" suggested that i just use a simple dvd rom(not burner) and i can (i think) he said i could do it on the fly?

is shrink and or decrypter better than copy2dvd?