1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor DVD Drives Bad News

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by PlextorS, Nov 8, 2004.

1. PlextorS

PlextorS Guest

I purchased a a DVD recorder from Plextor about a month ago and have had nothing but grief ever since. The drive has benn back for replacement already because it wouldn't open. And now the replacement is playing up. The only DVD recorder that can`t. Any one else had trouble with these over-priced drives??
    I`ve done most things to try to solve the problem. Even their own (so called Professional) software crashes when it is used.

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

3. PlextorS

PlextorS Guest

Mine was a SATA version of the same. But a can't get it to run. Can't even enable DMA on it :(, Plextor Tools crashes when I select the drive. OS is 2000 and i upgraded the ASPI layer also - still nothing...

4. PlextorS

PlextorS Guest

Well I centainly wish I had read this and the CDfreaks forum before I purchased from Plextor...
    Looks like their trying to blame Nvida from there bad programming in Plextor tools which causes it to crash.. funny i removed the Nvida drivers.. and guess what ? ..still crashes.. NVida 1 Plextor 0 .
    ..and the link on the Plextor site regarding the problem doesn't work either...
    Any way i`m going back to my supplier and asking for a refund .. wish me luck :)

5. PlextorS

PlextorS Guest

BTW many thanks for the link DogBomb.

6. rbmj

rbmj Member

Just bought my umteenth plextor, 716A. Have had no problems with any of them before, and I love the way they overspeed burn slower blanks. I'm not sure that DMA is an option on a SATA drive, only with the PATA on the regular IDE controllers. If you have one that won't open, if you have a voltmeter, check that you do indeed have +12 volts to the power connector. I had a bad adapter last time and mine wouldnt open either, just sat there and blinked. Don't know about Plextor tools, the only computer I installed it on worked OK (no NVidia)

7. Dvdc0pier

Dvdc0pier Member

Buy a Sony DRu170-A, burner is awesome! I bought it the other day. It does 2.4x Dual-Layer. I came home upgraded the firmware and it does 4x Dual-Layer now. Good investment.You should check out the article on toms hardware.