1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor PX-716A

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Metallo, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Metallo

Metallo Member

Hi,

I just want to draw the attention of everybody to the fact that Plextor is not correct Vs its customers in this moment.
    They officially put the 716 on the market 4 or 5 weeks ago and so far you cannot buy it anywhere, at least I cannot find it here in EU.
    I know that there are quality issues, but I would have preferred Plextor to put a clear statement about this delay on their website because I feel is not correct to advertise a product on their home page for weeks without saying it is delayed.
    This is misleading because people expect to go to the shop and find it!
    I wrote to them to ask why they do not add a message to their home page informing of their delay, but I didn't get a reply.

Your comments?

Thank you
    Alex

2. buckysabi

buckysabi Member

A friend of mine just purchased the 716 from Best Buy last week (11-27-04). I think it was also on the Best Buy website.

$110 after a $30 mail in rebate.

3. Metallo

Metallo Member

Yes, but you are in the US and in addition, have a look now on Best Buy site, they say "Sold Out". Probably your friend bought one of the few that came out on the market before Plextor discovered the quality issue.
    I can understand they have withdrawn the burner from the market, it's correct, but I have a problem with their lack of information.
    I think that a customer would appreciate much more to be informed than being misleaded.

Cheers
    Alex

4. Dave2802

Dave2802 Member

I couldn't agree more, i live in the uk and ive been tring to get hold of this drive for the past 4 weeks now. i have pre-ordered it but i still won't have it for at least a couple of weeks now! how ever i am a little bit concerned at the quality issues around this drive i just hope that they will be sorted as this will be my first plextor drive and up untill now i have only ever herd great things about plextor. i hope they dont let me down =)
    if any that has this drive could let me know what type of performance they get from it i would be very happy to hear from you since there are still no reviews on this product yet.

Athlon 64 3500+
    Msi Neo2 platinum
    1GB Geil dual 3200
    2 x maxtor 160 GB in Raid 0
    Radeon 9800XT
    water cooled
    plextor px-716a???

5. wild77

wild77 Guest

Why not wait and let them work out the bugs, then maybe the media prices on dual layer disks will come down.I have a Plextor PX-712A and plan on installing a PX-716 in my new system. I have used a number of there drives with no problems.It's like anything else when it's new there will be issues.Just buy from a company with a good reputation and RETURN policy.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Sage advice :)

Absolutely! :)

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I think that they're not easily available for a few reasons.

1)They're probably more than twice the price of the highest priced competitor.

2) Their major advantage is that they're plextors, but their dual layer benefit is lost considerng the price of dual layer media.

3) If you're not going to use it as a dual layer burner then its ability of 16X recording on a single layer disc is more bragg than benefit when most of us record at speeds of less than 8X.

4)That being said, it makes more sense to buy a PX-712A because you're going to get everything you're going to use on a 716, at half the price.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004