1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor PX-755A...thinking of changing!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Fwfireman, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Fwfireman

Fwfireman Member

Here's my situation guys....little background.

I bought Nero7 Ultra Enhanced. Have been trying to find what my problem is with getting bad burns through Vision AND ROM on a little self made project of mine. I think I have gotten down to believing I need a new burner like the Lite On LH-18A1P-186.

Problem is, my Plextor is SATA. The IDE rounded cable I have is only for one device and it's hooked up to my Sony CD-RW CRX320EE. I know I can get the same cable for two, master and slave.

Question?? Will I run into any issues just umplugging the SATA cable to the Plextor, removing the Plextor, installing the new burner and hooking up new two device IDE cable? Or will I have to do some changes in my PC settings, bios or anything like that? Can I leave the Plextor in and hook my new burner up with the new IDE cable, keeping the Sony also?

Should I stick with SATA? Could my burner being a SATA have anything to do with bad burns?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Fwfireman
    When you say bad burns - are they failures or problems w/ playback?
    Plextor is a good drive. I don't think being sata would have anything to do with it.

You could hook up another drive w/ an ide cable w/ 2 connectors. Pretty much just plug and play - windows will do it's thing when it sees a new drive so nothing really to do on your end - just connect it.

You should also be able to have the Plextor connected by sata and the other drives connected by ide too.

3. Fwfireman

Fwfireman Member

Thanks binkie!

By bad burns, I mean I get a bunch of Vision and/or Rom just locking up or hanging. Stops and does nothing. Happens in different places of the process so it's not any particular file that is causing it.

When, and it has been rare, I do get a successful burn, I always end up with some audio problems, here and there my music will get garbled/scratchy.

I have done everything I can think of, DMA enabled, latest FW, uninstalled the Plextor and rebooted. Nothing helped.

This led me to research and the only option, other than giving up on Nero7, is to try a new IDE burner like the Lite On that many are raving about. (I to have always liked Lite-On)

I went and purchased Roxio EMC-9 and installed AFTER removing and cleaning out NERO-7. Only played with it a day and need to learn it's interface. In a day or two I will do some test burns to see if I get the same issues. If so....then tells me it's a burner thing, if NOT, then it makes me lean toward Nero being too buggy for my setup.

4. binkie7

Ah so it's like a combo of things.

Some version of Nero did have a problem w/ burned MP3's to audio cd's - but after version like 7.2 something all was okay.

Yeah definitely try another program - Plextor's are usually great drives. Not saying they can't have a bad here or there but has a good rep.

For doing data and dvd's files check out ImgBurn. Great free burning programs. For non iso files use the build mode.

Keep us posted!

5. Fwfireman

Fwfireman Member

I will binkie. Thx for your input. I suspect I will play with Roxio and find out. I will probably, in all likelyhood, go ahead and install new IDE cable (two device) and buy one of the "touted" Lite-Ons.

I really wished Nero7 had worked fine for me as I had gotten fairly use to it's interface and terminoloty........but still had lots to learn.

Again, thx for you "thoughts", much appreciated.

6. Fwfireman

Fwfireman Member

Well, an update.

I have to say that after using Roxio's EMC9 and creating my project, took me a bit as I had to learn a new interface and it's terminology, I can say that I really like it. No hang-ups or problems and created an ISO file the first time and NO errors, hang-ups, or failures.

Haven't actually burnt the disc yet as it got late and I still want to do a real close look at the project before I burn.

Creating an iso took less than half the time it was taking for Nero, go figure.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't without problems. There are just as many posts in Roxio's EMC9 forums of problems just like I was having with Nero. But for ME, EMC9 isn't giving me the headaches Nero was.

Between Roxio and Nero, I am beginning to suspect that they are picky about the machines they are on too. If one don't work for you, the other very well might. ;-)

I did read that EMC9 was created with the Dual core processors in mind, which I have. (X6800 Extreme) I wonder if that could have been a problem with Nero?? Dunno.

Still like AfterDawns' forums is there is a ton of knowledge here to help anyone out.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  7. binkie7

Txs for the update Fwfireman

Let us know how the burn turns out.

Yeah using new programs that have a lot of options/apps like Nero & Roxio can have a little learning curve.

I'm not sure Nero supports dual core (haven't really checked the specs on it though). Still just using the one core shouldn't be a problem I would think - but we all know what happens when you assume :)

8. Fwfireman

Fwfireman Member

Did the burn using Roxio Disc Copy from my .iso file created in Roxio VideoWave.

Burned my disc much faster than I could with Nero (when I could) and no failures, hangups or errors.

Everything works fine for me. So I guess my machine is just picky about what I feed it! LOL

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Just some info. I still use nero 6 and it works great with my C2D E6600. I don't think dual core has anything to do with it.

Only advantage I can see to nero 7 over nero 6 is fewer problems with the layer break when burning DL media. I always use imgburn to burn DL media. Just my 2 cents.

10. binkie7

That's good news Fwfireman

Yeah unfortunately not all apps are 100% with all setups.

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You can definitely get a lot of help in the Roxio forums. I post there quite often under GrandpaBruce.

12. Fwfireman

Fwfireman Member

LMAO, I know, I read your posts all the time GrandpaBruce!

You know, I sure liked some of the features of NeroVision.

Here's my "Gee....I wish" list.

1] Nero worked on my machine.
    2] Nero and Roxio were friendly to each other. :)

Short list isn't it?

13. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It sure is, and you aren't asking too much. I do have N-e-r-o Ultra 6, Roxio EMC 9, and EMC 7.5 all playing nicely, but I still have XP on my system.

Vista won't be on my computers, unless I am forced to put it on.

BTW, I read your posts too. :)

Edited so there is no N-e-r-o link, since no Roxio link will show.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Amen brother. I rescently bought a new laptop with vista home premium. Very little of my older software was compatable. I use AT&T DSL and even it wasn't compatable. Needless to say I imediately reformated it with XP. I wasn't a very happy camper and still very disappointed with vista.

Luckily I had a spare version of XP otherwise I really would have been upset. Still pisses me off at the fact that I had to reformat a brand new pc.