1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pls help!!best software to capture in avi or in the smallest video size possible

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by milamilou, Sep 28, 2006.

1. milamilou

milamilou Guest

yes it captures in avi and it's pal and i can captture in mpg and have enough hard disk space

2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Good. You are able to go the avi or MPEG route.

I will take you through the avi process first. You will likely have RCA composite (Red, White, and Yellow) connectors on your TV and the capture card...connected by a composite cable. If this is not the case, advise what you have.

See if VirtualDub will open and connect to your AVI capture card and record a stream. To do this, have the TV signal going to the card, and open VDub. Under File you will see Capture AVI. This will open a box. You will be able to tell it what folder to capture to, etc. If you have any problems with this part of the capture, let me know.

Capture about 5 minutes. Then see if the avi file will play in your Windows Media Player. Let me know what happens.

3. milamilou

milamilou Guest

yes i can capture with virtual dub it plays ok but the problem i always have to input a file name for the avi before recording can it automaticly generate file names

4. milamilou

milamilou Guest

and how to make it work with Scenalyzer thankssssssssss

5. milamilou

milamilou Guest

also i have a little problem when capturing and i wanna play a game or something i get error avi decompressor could not be loaded and i have to close the game to continue capturing how can playa game while capturing thank you

6. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

I still think you will have to capture it as avi then convert it to a smaller file your capture is going to dictate how your file will be stored to you HD you can change it after that

7. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

milamilou...first things first. I don't believe VDub has a default setting for naming files.

Good. Now we know you have a good avi clip. Converting to Xvid is easy. Install the Xvid codec http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/ .
    1. Then launch VDub.
    2. Under File, choose Open Video File (choose the one you just recorded).
    3. Then, on the main Menu, Select Video
    4. Under Video, select Full Processing Mode
    5. Under Video, select Compression.
    6. Under Compression, you will see the Xvid codec you just installed. Choose this codec. You will also see a Configure Button.
    7. Under Configure, you will find a slider bar with values from 1 to 31. The larger the number the smaller and less quality the converted file. Use SINGLE PASS mode. (#31 gives me about a 10 to 1 reduction.) Click OK, OK to get to main menu.
    8. Under FILE, chose SAVE AS AVI. Enter the name of the file you want to use. When you click OK, the conversion will start.

If you have a good avi stream, there should be no problem reducing to Xvid.

Trying to capture your video stream using the Xvid codec directly is not advised, and can cause problems. Some people, however, are able to do it problem free. The two-step process above is the preferred method.

About Scenalyser. There is a pdf doc on their website that tells what capture devices work with it. Most capture cards do not, unfortunately. I didn't know this when I mentioned it.

Capturing video is CPU and memory intensive. It is best to not do anything on your computer while capturing...especially playing a game that is also CPU and memory intensive. You will drop frames, which means you will lose audio synch with the picture. I avoid this by using an external device called the Canopus ADVC-100, now the 110. It has its own power supply and processor, and feeds a completed avi stream to the HDD (Scenalyzer). It also has a codec that locks the audio and video synch. Also, I have yet to get a dropped frame.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  8. milamilou

milamilou Guest

helllo Doc409 thanks for your answers but i wanna ask you why do i have to press anter after selecting the copression codecs can't i just save as avi after pressing enter it just keeps playing and are they any options that i have to change in xvid settings to have a good quality with a less size and tthanks to you all for your answers :)

9. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

From what I understand, you are now able to get a good Xvid file. When you started this thread, you weren't able to do this. So, now you know that your capture card works with VDub, and you know how to avoid synch problems.

I revised the instructions above, as I skipped the Save As AVI step. (Also. pressing the keyboard ENTER just allows you to view the file you have just loaded.)

I get about a 10 to 1 reduction at the maximum #31 setting. I suspect greater reductions are possible with another approach. You could look at some of the Xvid guides for more info on this. I don't use compressed avi files very often. If I want to save a TV program, I convert to MPEG, and then to DVD-VOB files (so I can use my DVD player to watch the capture). Sometimes I will also reduce the VOB files using DVD Rebuilder and CCE.

10. milamilou

milamilou Guest

thanks Doc409 but i wanna ask you if i wanna extract the audio alone from the oriinal video and put it on the out of sync audion like dubbung using virtual dub how do i do it i already extracted the audio i just wanna know what to click on to put the extracted audio on the out of sync so it will be in good sync thanksssssssssss :)

11. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

This thread was about avi capture software and reducing end file size, and we've taken care of that. I've never needed to re-synch something, so I don't know how. I came across this problem in a VDub guide, but I don't remember where.

The most common cause of being out-of-synch is that video frames got dropped. If this is the case, then you need to add video frames to make up the time difference. This can be done, but it will take some effort. I would suggest you start a new thread and ask "How do I add frames using Virtual Dub?" This is not a good thread for pursuing this problem.

Also, there are a lot of VDub experts at Doom9.org, so you might post your question there also. Good luck.

12. shpixi

shpixi Member

Try to capture with NERO and u can compress like MPEG2 that will solve your problems man.

13. shpixi

shpixi Member

Try to capture with Nero at the same time compress like MPEG2 no audio problems or something like that, and very small file.
    see more fore *NERO Video Capture and Compress*

14. milamilou

milamilou Guest

what's the nero software for capture ?

15. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Nero 6 ultra has a program for avi and mpeg

16. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

NERO >> NERO DIGITAL >> RECODE

17. Destra

Destra Regular member

I use VirtualDubMod but I think it is the exact same as VirtualDub with some extras. Anyway to fix sync problems load the file into VirtualDub and then choose Video->Frame Rate and choose the radio button Change so video and audio durations match. This will slow down the frame rate to sync the audio and video, the new frame rate is in parentheses.

As for XviD settings it's a compromise. The higher the compression the lower the picture quality. For encoding type I would use Twopass - 2nd pass and you can adjust the slider below (Target Quantizer) to what ever you wish. As the slider shows though, the smaller the file size the lower the quality. This is something you will have to experiment with to get the trade off you are looking for. Just make make a short clip and play with the settings until you are satisfied and then encode the whole video.

18. milamilou

milamilou Guest

hello desrta sorry for the late late reply but i wanna ask you even if i do the Change so video and audio durations match option and both the audio and the video have the same time it is always slightly out of sync can i send you the video to see how out of sync is it's small video i'll send you a link thnaks

19. Destra

Destra Regular member

Sure PM me the link and I will see what I can do.

20. milamilou

milamilou Guest

i sent you a pm destra waiting for your reply thanks