1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pls help converting avi to watchable dvd!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sacraven, Dec 15, 2004.

1. sacraven

sacraven Member

Hi all,

Heres the scenario - Hope you can help a poor frustrated little man.

I've created a home movie for my sister's birthday and have edited it using adobe premiere. It runs for about 50 mins and is about 4 or 5 gigs exported to an .avi file.

My problem is, is that i've used many program out there, and NONE have been able to perform the seemingly easy task of converting my avi to a VOB or DVD format that can be viewed on a DVD player.

I've used:
    DVDsanta - When converted the file ends up having no video + only has distorted sounds which resemble that of static interference.

Nerovision - Always tell me to purchase the mpeg2 encoder (or something to that effect) and when I goto nero's website - it says its already included in the nerovision package I have

winavi - will only work in "trial mode" when I installed the full version - there is still an error that im missing a specific codec. When i install the codec - it says im still missing it.

cusoft - I can't get the audio and video to meet (must be doing something wrong here)

Please guys, if anyone can recommend a "fool proof" program or programs (or an alternative) that can take my avi to dvd It will be greatly appreciated. It would also help if a little info as to how to work the program would be given too, as i seem to have a nak for making things not work. It's already past my sisters birthday and all the people on the video are egerly awaiting the final product (including myself).

All the above programs were highly recommended and were apparently fool proof, but this fool proved them wrong.

Once again. Pls help if you can. I'm at the end of my tethers and have just about lost hope. It's been tormenting me for weeks now.

Sincerely Sacraven.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Sacraven., welcome to aD,

Here's a guide for AVI to DVD

Take the files you have and you'll have to run it through TMPGEnc to render it into an DVD compliant MPEG2 file then run it through TMPGEnc DVD Author to get your full VOB files (the VOB's you get from TMPGEnc aren't the correct format). Once you've done DVD Author, just burn to disc. If you're using Nero, use Nero Classic and select DVD Video -

Once you're done with TMPGEnc DVD Author DVD Shrink will pick up it's VIDEO_TS folder in a heartbeat :)

As a backup, A brand new guide has been entered here at aD, see how you like it :)

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm .

and Lastly, Here's a download for free codecs - Download the "Full Version".

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Report back and let me know which one worked for you,

Cheers,

Pete

3. sacraven

sacraven Member

thx scubapete,

i'll give it a try. BTW the guide seems a little complex for me with the seperation of audio and everything but i'll report back with any success.

Much appreciated.

Sacraven