1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PMA Update Failure When Erasing

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by ggperry, Feb 5, 2007.

1. ggperry

ggperry Member

I have a Sony DVD-RW which works fine when burning, never had a prob but seems to come up with the PMA Update Failure when trying to erase my Traxdata DVD-RW ? Burning to these disks has never failed. But fails 50% of the time when erasing ? Does anyone know why ? I never have anything running in the background and I've defraged the hard drive etc etc. Seems odd that it burns perfectly but has this error when erasing.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi ggperry
    How many times have the discs that fail erasing been burned to & erased?
    If many times they may just be at the end.

Doing a full or a quick erase when erasing them?

3. ggperry

ggperry Member

Thanks for the reply. These disks are quite new. Some have been burned & erased 4/5 times before the pma failure while others just burned once. Quick erase never worked, always got failure so have to use full erase.

4. binkie7

Ok - I usually use the full erase instead of the quick erase but you really shouldn't receive an error doing the quick erase.
    I do the full just to have a 'cleaner' disc and hopefully prevent any problems burning to it again.

So the burning process may also be playing into the failure to erase.
    What speed are you burning them at? May want to take it down a notch if you can.

How about the firmware on the burner? Is it up to date?

5. ggperry

ggperry Member

I burn/erase the disks at 4x which is the lowest I can do it. My pc is brand new although the Sony DVD-RW isn't & sorry I don't know what filmware is and how to check it ?

6. binkie7

Ok - firmware is the read only memory on the burner. It's has instructions for the burner - one main thing is media codes so the burner has the correct read & write strategies for media.

To find it go to Nero SmartStart then Tools (or ToolKit in Nero 6).
    Click on InfoTool. The burner's make & model will be listed in the drop down. In the drive tab there's a field for the firmware version.

Post back that along w/ the model of the Sony burner.

7. ggperry

ggperry Member

Hi. Its a Sony DVD-RW G120A & firmware is MYS2. Thanks for your help.

8. binkie7

Ok the burner can use an update.
    I couldn't find anything at Sony - listed but they no longer have the downloads for it.

You can use this one - link for MYS6. This one may work for your drive. Scroll down and under direct download use the 2nd or 3rd link.

It's an exe file that you will just run. Usually only takes a few minutes. Have no blanks in the drive and close all running programs. Keep the power on. When done updating reboot the pc and the firmware will be updated.

No problem on the help too.

edit: ugh i can't get the link to work - keeps screwing up cause of html. Try this copy and paste this in your browser & add html at the very end (after the .):
    opendrivers.com/freedownload/235862/sony-dw-g120a-dvd-rw-firmware-mys6-download.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  9. ggperry

ggperry Member

Hi. I did the update thanks but now it won't recognise my blank rw dvds at all! When I do a quick erase it goes abt 50% then stops, ejects and says 'this disk is not rewritable and therefore cannot be eased' ? Try a full erase but doesn't work at all. Wierd. I mean you can also erase disks via mycomputer, left click the drive and there's that option but the option isn't there anymore (that didn't work anyway though). Do you think it could just be my Sony doesn't like these Traxdata Disks ? although saying that they do work half the time. I dunno. Frustrating.
    Thank again for your help.

G

10. binkie7

Yeah it can definitely get frustrating when things don't work like they should.
    It could be the Sony not liking these. Every time you burn & erase the disc loses quality though they say RW media can be burned & erased 1000+ times - I've never gotten that high :)
    If the drive is doing good burning - or + R and looks like this is a media problem.

I use RW but use - or + a lot more the cost alone is so much cheaper.

11. ggperry

ggperry Member

Hi. Think I was a bit hasty in my last reply. The disk's I tried to erase were the one's that wouldn't work before so I tried burning a film on a fresh disk then doing a quick erase and it all worked perfectly. So I dumped those disks as obviously there's a problem with them. Updating the firmware was the key with my problem so thank you very much.

12. binkie7

You're welcome ggperry :)

Glad that did the trick.

Happy Burning!