1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podcasting Legality

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Liquid86, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Liquid86

Liquid86 Guest

Hi Everyone,

I wasn't sure where this would fit so I'm going to put it here. Note that I am not advocating piracy by any means, I am merely checking if what i want to do is legal.

So I am toying with the notion of starting my own podcast, but I can't help but think what i want to do is horrendously illegal...

I am a semi-professional DJ (I work at a club once a week and I regularly spin at private parties and raves) spinning mostly techno. I want to start a poscast featuring my remix work and some of my favorite mixes, as well as those mixes produced by a few of my friends (also DJ's)

Most of the artists are pretty obscure. I won't be charging for the podcast either of course. Every so often I want to drop in stuff from a bigger name though, like Paul Oakenfold for example.

Is what I want to do legal? Does it matter (or help) if I give the artists credit? How often are people busted for this sort of thing? There are a few other weekly casts playing techno and I can't believe they have a broadcasting permit from all the artists they are spinning.

Let me know what you all think.

~Liquid

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the long and short of it is that you need to go to the people who hold the rights for the music (record companies) and seek their permission. odds are, you won't get it for free. but that's what you'll have to do to stay legal.