1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Hotspot shield safe to use? Any experience?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by W_Wabbit, Mar 3, 2010.

1. W_Wabbit

W_Wabbit Member

hey, while I was surfing the web, I've found one free vpn by name AnchorFree Hotspot Shield and if you go to 'news' section, you can see many biggggggggggggg guns recommending that software. http://www.anchorfree.com/news-events/

PC World has also reviewed good. Read here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,71209-order,1-page,1/description.html

My experience? Here ya go! Just installed a day before and it was trouble free (use Adblock Plus and No Script to get rid of ads) and it didn't slow down the connection. But after a day, I had few problems. At first, web pages didn't open. When I placed cursor on the network icon (which is in the system tray) I was shocked! Sent: 0 bytes, received: 0 bytes! Clicking it to view didn't work. System froze suddenly. I was forced to remove my data card. Like that, it happened for few times. After ending 'networks' (?!) with the help of task manager, I was able to bring my computer to normalcy. Till now, it is connecting as usual: good! Scanned with my Avira Premium Security Suite and it didn't detect anything bad.

But is it safe to use? What do you think?

Note: I'm not using for any illegal purposes. Just to add extra protection as it encrypts data. Can I log into my email account etc while using it? Safe to use?!

Thank you! :)

Hey, I think 'Safety valve' is the correct place to post something related to 'safety' ! :D

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

not worth a wank.. for safety don't use proprietary software.. end of discussion.

3. W_Wabbit

W_Wabbit Member

Yeah, from it's TOS: Prohibited Conduct: " reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Service or Hotspot Shield Software or any part thereof, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation;"

It is just a common thing for proprietary (mostly)/closed source software. "for safety don't use proprietary software" OMG! Shouldn't I use my MS Windows? o_0 :D Of course, if the source code is visible, we can see if any malicious thing is present. Even if the source code is visible, guys like me don't know programming so there is no use! And open source is a baby. There is along way to go. :) Come on, you can't make everything 'open'. Imagine like this: If an anti-virus doesn't encrypt (well, by seeing https://secure.avast.com/web/eng/virus_detection_and.html I'm sure that Avast encrypts it's virus database. Panda doesn't? o_0) what would happen? Most likely hackers may check if their virus is identified in the virus database and act accordingly. Well, hackers many check if encrypted too. This is why most popular AVs fail to detect some I think. Anyhow, heuristics may help! But AVs must hide their data base for God's sake. :)

They also steal. E.g.: Many sites (including the hilarious Uncyclopedia "the content-free encyclopedia") steals Wikipedia's design. I didn't see any legitimate site stealing others' theme. And using similar theme confuses viewers just like the popular "The Onion - America's Finest News Source" :D

"not worth a wank" they are the big guns recommending not worth a wank?! I just want a proper answer.

"end of discussion" o_0

Update: OMG! I didn't mean "An OMG file is a compressed audio file using Sony's proprietary OpenMG technology." I meant "OH MY GOD!" LOL

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If PC world recomended plugging in my computer, I would try it unplugged. That magazine is designed to attract people who know nothing about computers, and to cause them problems that require them to buy the next issue to fix...I remember that they ran one issue, "How to clean spyware", right after another issue, "The best free downloads".

That said, they do get it right once in a while, if only by accident...this tool might work, but there are other free, open-source tools that could do the same thing better, and on all networks...not just wifi.