1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll question; ISO files....WHY??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mrlewp, Jan 29, 2005.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Seriously, I have bad habit of installing many interesting tools for video and CD use. Then they sit there , and I have no idea why I need them.

What is the point of having an ISO file , when you can just decrypt , shrink,
    then burn vobs to DVD?

You can rip and burn CD songs without the ISO step, right? ....so what am I missing??

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

To some extent it's just a matter of preference and habit. Some of the early "free" programs only burned iso image files. Some people like to burn their iso files with DVD Decrypter which allows them to view burning statistics in real time. ISO files can also be read and mounted as virtual dvds with software such as Daemon Tools and others. Traditional software players can then play the virtual dvd as though it was the real deal in a real drive. I tend to use iso files because they don't seem as messy as a folder full of vob and ifo files. Think of them as an archive type file which is really what they are.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Some people dont want to pay the money for a burning app.Dvd decrypter will only burn iso's.Dvd decrypter, and shrink, is the only completely free ripping,shrinking, and burning, application available.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  4. asystole

asystole Member

some of us believed we had to spend money (125 US$ for me)to get a good ripper, to be let down time after time.........untill i came to afterdawn looking for help with the xcopy gold and express and was introduced to shrink and decrypter for free by bigorange, havent looked back once at either dvd wizard pro or the dvd xcopy express and xcopy gold. For me if shrink cant do it then decrypter will..

5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

iso's can also be mounted using virtual drives and played back using the virtual drives .

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

edited

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

edited

8. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

edited

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

dlc2000 not only did you say it 4 times but what you said was already mentioned by laddyboy.

quote by laddyboy:

10. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i was trying to reply but was getting server errors , i also was trying to reply before anyone replied to this topic and was unable to , it looks as others posts were put up before mine . this isnt my fault , its the servers fault !

11. asystole

asystole Member

did anyone try to tell him an ISO is suppose to be an exact image of disc.