1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor internet speed - cline

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by scotsbigmac, Mar 29, 2013.

1. scotsbigmac

scotsbigmac Member

Having just moved house to a non-cabled area, I'm being forced to go down the Satellite route, which is totally new to me.

Looking through the forum I read it that whatever box I chose to get will require me to sign up with a cline? This clearly needs to be connected through the internet?

I am in a very rural location, so internet speed is fairly poor, as is mobile reception. Will this affect the cline and cause the viewing to be glitchy?

If so, is there another route that I can go down, without having to connect to internet to get the same channel availability? Already a SLY dish mounted, with cabling.

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Looking through the forum I read it that whatever box I chose to get will require me to sign up with a cline? This clearly needs to be connected through the internet? Yes all the time for non FTA chans

I am in a very rural location, so internet speed is fairly poor, as is mobile reception. Will this affect the cline and cause the viewing to be glitchy? Yes it will as the line need a steady connection, mobile BBAND is not realiable enough, have you looked at Sat bband?

If so, is there another route that I can go down, without having to connect to internet to get the same channel availability? Already a SLY dish mounted, with cabling. - Nope, its either a Cline or FTA chans only,

3. scotsbigmac

scotsbigmac Member

Many thanks for the prompt reply Mickah.

I've not done a speed test yet, so cannot comment on exactly how slow my internet is. That's my task for this holiday weekend. Any idea on what kind of speed, minimum, would be required?

From what I do online, it is a steady service, in that we very rarely get the red light (disconnected) on the router, but the speed is poor. Watching a simple music video on youtube will Buffer 2 or 3 times!

Also, as it is connected constantly, is there much data usage? I wouldn't imagine there would be as, if I read it correctly, the internet connection is just for coding and the actual channel images are still received via the satellite?

All this is hurting my head!! I'm not the most technical minded but I managed to keep up to date, reflashing etc when I lived in a cabled area. The old grey matter is certainly getting a workout!

4. cactikid

cactikid Active member

the lower the ping in around 30 is good at around 100 i think glitching will get bad and if you use pc or lappy possible freeze of picture

5. scotsbigmac

scotsbigmac Member

So, for example, if I do a ping test which results in 62ms (which I've just done here at work), then it would be perfectly viewable? But if that was to drop to 100ms then I'd have problems???

6. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

scotsbigmac it is not clear to me what type of broadband you have is it a mobile broadband device or a fixed line broadband? If it is a mobile broadband as the replies suggest it is very poor quality if you have a fixed line connection you should be fine as a 1 or 2mb connection is enough, also the data usage even for a box always on is not that high and should in no way affect any download limits you may have.

7. scotsbigmac

scotsbigmac Member

Sorry for being unclear dub12dave. It's fixed line broadband, with BT.

Seems everything will be fine to go ahead. Done some ping tests last night and the slowest speed I got was 2.6mb.

Now, for the difficult part for me - to decide what box to get. Many, many to chose from. From experience, is there any of the boxes that work better than others at these lower internet speeds? Or is it the cline that's more important?

Would appreciate any recommendations. I have a budget of around £200, excluding the cline. Again, from my limited reasearch, if I was to budget £15-£20 a month for a decent cline? All I'm looking for is all the SLY channels, including sports and movies. If possible, for my budget, I'd like to be able to record a channel whilst watching another. Hopefully, this is all going to work out on my poor internet speeds!!!

Thanks again everybody for their input

8. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

Firstly a good server should cost you no more than £50-£60 a year do not pay any more than that,secondly I can recommend you 3 boxes for your needs and in no particular order;
    1.Vu+ duo
    2.Technomate TM-2T
    3.Amiko Alien triple tuner T2

All very good boxes in their own right but the vu duo is the box that has the most support at the moment.
    The Technomate is a newer box and is also well supported and can run vix images similar to the vu duo.
    Tha Amiko Alien triple tuner box is a very good budget box and support for this box is growing rapidly and if you get the T2 model you can also get your Freeview channels in HD.

Personally I would go for the vu+ duo simply for the support, there are lots more twin tuner boxes but you should get yourself a well supported box, hope this help a bit.

9. cactikid

cactikid Active member

if going for the vu duo make sure its not a clone,biggest piece of kak.

10. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

Firstly a good server should cost you no more than £50-£60 a year do not pay any more, i went wih a private share that cost me £50 per quarter and with it being a private share with only 12 people on the share it was faultless, no paper trail from the big pay servers, try and keep it private if you can.