1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor performance with PSO loading...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by azurezeal, Jan 11, 2005.

1. azurezeal

azurezeal Member

So I got everything set up last night, used psul to 'fix' my mem card so I dont have to input the serial numbers everytime. Used 'GameCubeServer' to image Super Mario Sunshine to my disk, that went ok. Now, when it comes to playing the game... I REALLY hope im doing something wrong, because the performance is just pathetic. Ive tryed using all the different loaders from ACL 1.0 - 1.4 to The new GC-Sim (all in pheonix 2.5), and NONE of them are playable.

For example, Mario takes about 1 minute just to load the 'super mario sunshine' logo. The cinematics are ok, but you can tell they are slowed down. Then When the game actually starts, there is NO music or sfx.

I know I shouldnt be complaining, I know this is all 'free' stuff, but come on. From what ive read it SEEMS like you people are happy with the performance of your loader, so you HAVE to be getting better results than me. BTW I tryed Super Monkey Ball 2 and got similar performance.

The onlything I can think of, is that GC-Sim wont let me select 100mps full or half duplex mode at the start of the game. Just gives a initialization error. Only 10mps full duplex works. Im using a D-Link nic that is set to 'automatic' speed.

Well, any help would be great. Spent a lot of time getting all this stuff set up, hope i can get at least SOME games to work. I can live with the choppyness in the cutscenes, but I should be able to get perfect video AND audio during gameplay.

Thanks

PS - Are there any loaders out there that you can have auto start when windows loads, then have everything else be controled on your tv/gamecube? Like when the pso launches, it takes you to a menu where you can browse all available games to load, ect... Id really rather not have to have a monitor/keyboard hooked up to this server all the time.

2. azurezeal

azurezeal Member

Some more info that may help...

When the streaming starts, i see the ... with the 'C' every now and then (im guessing thats a collision). I also noticed the ... stream speeds up and slows down spiratically. Sometimes it looks like its streaming very fast, and the game appears to be running at full speed, other times it chugs along at a fraction of peak speed. Is this normal? If so, why would it do this?

Im not running threw any other machines routers. Just two straight throughs and a hub, cube to box.

3. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

i have a question are you useing a dial up modem or the broadband modem for the gamecube and what type of computer and operating system do you have

because i had a hell of a time streaming with the gamecube because of windows xp it was slow as hell and nasty audio and video to because windows xp takes controll of any network device's connected to your computer so i had to replace my network adapter

that is why i needed to know

these things

1. your computer make model?

2. your network adapter make in your pc

3. your operating system

and that's about it i would be glad to help if i can but without more info this is all i can do right now

4. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

after reading the second post it hit me your network adapter isn't running at full speed you need to upgrade your network adapter your connection speed must be 10/100 or better if it is not your gamecube will lag something awefull

5. azurezeal

azurezeal Member

Im using a D-Link nic, using the drivers that windows xp installed on a fresh install of the os (Realtek Family PCI Fast ethernet). The device shows to be working in device manager, and in the properties I see i have the option to set it to 100mbp FULL duplex, but im leaving it on auto. so...

1.) Its a custom built computer, not the fastest (only a p3 450hz with 256 Ram).

2.) D-link nic (working fine in device manager)

3.) windows xp.

HELP

6. azurezeal

azurezeal Member

Well i decided to crack open my case and find the exact drivers for my card. I now have the latest DFE-530TX+ Express EtherNetwork Fast Ethernet PCI Network Adapter right from dlinks website. Still get pretty crappy performance.

Any ideas?

7. imri

imri Member

laughable...
    dude, if you're pissed about those games not working, go buy them, they are cheap. much cheaper than the cost of a bba or pso and crossover cable or ethernet cable combined. second get informed before you start bitching like a little girl. both those games have known problems. http://gc-compat.webhop.net/
    third, wtf is about "I should be able to get perfect video AND audio during gameplay." yeah? then make your own loader, but definitly dont use phoenix it sucks.
    and finally to answer your 'ps', remote loading server works fine but i'm not sure there is a version that supports the new loader.

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I've seen much of this before in other threads. Many people have solved this issue by upgrading their NIC to either a 3Com 3C905C series or a Netgear to correct the issue. Also it might help if you're not already doing so to use a crossover cable to connect directly from your PC to the BBA when streaming. If you're going through a router you would have performance issues.