1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor Quality via Firewire Transfer. HELP

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by gonz22, Aug 10, 2004.

1. gonz22

gonz22 Member

Hi,

I have a JVC DVX707 Mini-DV Camcorder with 1.3 CCD. I have transferred video to my PC via Fire-wire using both Windows Movie Maker (Ver. 2.0) & STOIK Capturer.
    I want to transfer to DVD-R but when I playback video once transferred it is very blocky/pixelated.

So far the transferred video is of poor quality and even with no compression set. It transfers to AVI running at high quality (720*480 res).

However it is at the moment better quality on VCR or even on mini-DV (played back on camcorder) then on PC or digital format.

Is there any program I can use to capture RAW video instead of AVI or WMV. Ideally MPEG2 as this is the DVD format but I understand this is not possible, I just want a crisp video.

I have 4.3 GB on a DVD-R disc and an hour mini-DV so I want to utilise the space and get the best possible video quality.

I am lost, I though Fire-wire and DVD-r is the cream of technology and high video quality. I must be doing something wrong. Please help.

Thanks

2. nato1200

nato1200 Member

Im not familiar with STOIK Capturer, but Id wager the Movie Maker is compressing the video when capturing. For full quality you need to capture an "uncompressed" stream, such as DVavi. The file sizes will be huge when capturing in that setting. However, if you want the best possible quality, thats the way to go. I capture all my files that way, and render to MPEG2 after editing. Im not personally familiar, but there are hardware devices that compress video to MPEG2 in real time.

3. gonz22

gonz22 Member

Can you advise on what software you use.

Or recommed any software. What are Pinnacle Studio like.

Someone Suggested Sony Sonic DVD Copier which has a direct to dvd feature.

Thanks

4. nato1200

nato1200 Member

I personally use adobe premeir pro for capture and encode via premier with the cinecraft encoder. Many user choose pinnacle products. They are well respected.