1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor Video Playback using DivX5pro

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by rcmoore, Jul 29, 2002.

1. rcmoore

rcmoore Guest

I just finished my second try at creating a DivX from the guide in the articles section. Initially, I thought the quality was excellent and the size was great (2 CD's). But where there's motion, there's also streaking and blurring. It can also be described as jumpy and is very difficult to watch. I thought it might have something to do with interlacing, but the source is progressive. I followed the instructions exactly and am wondering if this is normal? I have a PIII-800 and a decent video card if that helps at all. I'll apreciate any input at all.

Thanks,
    Russ

2. indie665

indie665 Guest

you might need some filters. how long is the movie and what is the bitrate?

3. rcmoore

rcmoore Guest

It was a bit long at 2:25 and I used a bitrate of 1158. Too low? If so, is there anything I can do to 'smooth' things out?

4. hermgerm

hermgerm Member

What resolution do you use? If you use a high res like original DVD res (720 x ...) and a high bitrate you comp may be to slow for smooth playback. Set the playback settings to minimum values.

Servus,
    hermanthegerman

5. rcmoore

rcmoore Guest

I used 640x352. But I do think it's a matter of processor speed & playback. I copied the movie over to my laptop (P2-366, 256mb) and it can't keep up at all. On the desktop (P3-800), the actual framerate is only 23fps so that must be why I see the blockiness.

Since I wanted the movies primarily for the laptop, I'm now confused about what format to use. I do have an mpg decoder card, but I'm thinking that mpg's will be too big and not enough quality.

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Remove DivX5 and install FFDShow, playback is around 30-50% faster and it can drop the post-processing levels if it can't keep up with the playback, to prevent problems.