1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

port forward ?????

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by stephen02, Jun 14, 2007.

1. stephen02

stephen02 Guest

hi guys em i want my downloads to go faster thsn they r, im getting like 4-5kbps and would like to improve that since i have 2 meg broadband, i was told that port forward.com was the way to go, but i want peoples advice on the dangers and how to close a port if it all goes wrong. Thanks.

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ahh, it wont help your speeds that much.... there realy is no danger with doing it, you'll be fine

3. ptwenty

ptwenty Guest

Yeah - he's right, it won't automatically help your speeds.

But if you use torrents for d/l .... forwarded ports will allow you to connect to a lot more peers and seeds.

If you have not forwarded ports, you can only connect properly to people
    who have forwarded ports.

If you HAVE forwarded ports, you can connect to other people WHETHER OR NOT they have forwarded ports.

In summary, forward your ports, let your firewall know which ports you've forwarded, and for which program.

ptwenty

4. GambitRox

GambitRox Member

Actually, it will drastically help your speeds, up to ten times what you have now. There may be a small security issue, but if your concerned enough, just close them when you are not downloading.

Have you figured out how to do it though, if not, I would gladly help you.