1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

port forwarding

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by batal21, Jan 20, 2006.

1. batal21

batal21 Member

helo,

i have a little network at home made of 2 pc´s using windows xp service pack2 on both machines.
    my network is composed of 2 network cards on my first pc one for internet the other for the lan. crossed cable between the pc´s network card on the second pc. no router ,no hub .

i have a problem with port forwarding for some programs.

i surfed the internet a little and i understood very well the problem and i know what is port forwarding and why should i forward the ports but still i didnt found how to forward the ports using windows ICS i found how to forward ports using routers but i´m not using a router it´s my server pc that is the gateway to the internet.

i tried to use windows ICS port forwarding but it is not working becose the shared internet connection is linked to the ISP it is not linked to the network card that i use for internet connection via DSL.
    so when i trie to enter the properties of the icon of my ISP it doesnt enter!!!!
    i tried to switch the internet shared connection to the internet network card icon where i can acess the properties in order to use ICS port forwarding but this alteration stopped the internet use on my other computer that is the client on my LAN.
    so in theory i canot use ICS port forwarding.

there is a software for port forwarding ??

NB: im not using any router or hub all programs ive found is for routers.

tx for helping me :)

2. batal21

batal21 Member

i used ISP it´s not an exact term ...

i have a dsl connection, when i install the dsl modem software there are 2 different things that appears.

1) the icon of the dsl connection wich i click to connect.
    its the logo of the software for my modem.

2) the icon of the network card that is linked to the dsl modem.( 2 screens flashing blue ) whitch i named INTERNET.not to confuse with the LAN one.

when the windows network wizard asks me wich internet connection i want to use i have those both things that appears and in order to function i have to choose the icon number 1.
    and there the properties does not oppen!!!!

when i switched to icon number 2 internet doesnt function on the other pc but i can open properties to enter the ICS options in order to use the port forwarding.
    but without connection to internet on the other pc it is useless...