1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Cause of Difficulty Playing DVD?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by abrogard, Nov 14, 2011.

1. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

I make DVD's using Nero for burning. Family movies, etc. Some went to China and I got a report back that they couldn't play any of them.

Got another burner from my local computer shop - this one is an LG 'super multi' - and still got the same problem when tested on my home DVD player which is a Target special, a 'Base 2301'.

Sometimes the player just hangs like for minutes and then reports an error, other times it takes forever and finally reports 'DVD' and starts playing it.

It played one like that today and though it was playing it was all jittery. But when I played the same thing on my computer using VLC it played without a problem.

So I wonder if there are ways to check both on the computer and on the player? Like perhaps use the computer to thoroughly test the DVD. And perhaps some tests one can run - from a DVD I suppose - that'll thoroughly test a player?

Because it plays alright on the computer it looks like a bodgie player. But the computer is testing its own work - if it is wrong somehow in how it burns the DVD's I guess it could be that it reads its own wrong work okay. (The old burner, still in the machine, reads them okay too).

Any clear direction of what I should do in this situation?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Are the disks in China played back on a PC or a standalone player.
    Either PAL or NTSC will play back on a PC ok.
    If it's an NTSC disk being played back on a standalone player, do Chinese machines also play NTSC (I know they do in the UK).

3. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

They are PAL disks. In China I think they tried them both on standalone players and on a pc player. But I'm not sure what they did. I'll have to try find out.

I had a thought: perhaps I should try a DVD player cleaner...

:)

4. attar

attar Senior member

Are you using known-to-be-reliable disks?
    Verbatim disks that mention 'Advanced AZO' dye on the package are best.
    Don't buy the cheap 'Life Series' disks that they push at Best Buy.
    Save the output from Nero to the HDD.
    Burn using ImgBurn.