1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Dropped Frames

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Gnomex, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

All,

I have started to notice a problem in the DVD-RB log files. 3 out of 5 backups seem to have the "possible dropped frames" message in the log files.I have deleted the DVDRB.ini file and set it up again with the same results.

I ran the rebuild process over several times and the dropped frames always seem to occur in the same location in a given backup. I have also run the entire process over with similar results.

The PC is not over clocked. And as I stated the problem does not always occur. Any thoughts on this?

Details:

- Versions :
    -- CCE Basic Version: 2.70.1.2
    -- HC Version: 0.14.0.0
    -- DECODER Version: UNKNOWN
    -- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.5.0

INI File:

[Options]
    HC_Quality=1
    AudioDub=0
    idct7Opt=1
    EncoderMinimized=1
    RemoveDTS=1
    OneClick=1
    ReduceOpt=0
    HalfExtras=0
    LogFile=1
    HalfD1=0
    Convert_16_9=0
    DisableInterlace=0
    Completed=28
    MainMatrix=Encoder Default
    SkinVersion=9
    Skin=Rockas Original
    DVD_Label=GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_V5_DOLBY
    DVD_Name=GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_V5_DOLBY.ISO
    MovieOnly=0
    QuEncHQ=0
    QuEncodeType=0
    Mode=1
    Backcolor=14215660
    ISO_Output=0
    [Paths]
    CCEBasic=C:\System\CDRom\CCE_Basic\cct2.exe
    MPEG2DEC=C:\System\CDRom\Dvd-rb\Dgdecode.dll
    Working=D:\TEMP\
    Output=D:\TEMP\
    Source=E:\GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_V5_DOLBY\VIDEO_TS\
    HC=C:\System\CDROM\DVD-RB\HCGUI_14.exe
    [Setup]
    Languages=1111111111111111111111110111111111111111111111111111101111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
    sLanguages=1111111111111111111111110111111111111111111111111111101111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
    [Audio]
    Selected=1111111111111111111111
    [CCEOptions]
    VBR_bias=25
    Quality_prec=16
    eclPasses=2
    [Subpictures]
    Selected=1111111111

2. brobear

brobear Guest

This may be a situation with the particular encoder being used. If you have the time, try HC to see if you get dropped frames in the same spot. I've noticed this on occasion myself. In the instances I've noticed it, there were no detrimental effects to the video output. Is there a problem with your backup when you notice this?

3. UncasMS_3

UncasMS_3 Regular member

i wonder what version of rebuilder we're dealing with here

hc014 is rather old; in case rb wasnt updated since, it's about time to do so

4. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Okay,

Heres the odd part, I think this problem has been occuring for a while. Most of the time I do not see a problem in the output at all.

However, this has been a serious problem with several japanese animations that I have done in the past and am now working on.

The Versionss:

DVD-RB (1.01 Final)
    CCE 2.7X

Willing to consider thoughts on this problem.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

I wonder if that is the problem or your source. I've seen CCE drop frames on several occasions. It's nothing new, some people just don't notice it right off. I thought it was par for the course. Have you tried another encoder to see if that is the problem? In other words, try another encoder or transcoder with the animated movies you are having the problems with to see if they do a better job. Besides using the free HC with RB, a good transcoder is InterVideo's DVD Copy 4. They have a full function trial. http://www.intervideo.com It's not as good as DVD RB with CCE, but it does a good job to compare outputs, if you think the problem is with RB/CCE's encoding. It's also quick, so you don't have to wait a long time to do the comparison.

6. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

brobear,

I have used DVD Copy 3 in the past to overcome these problems with dvd-rb. The first time I ran into this I checked the source for a bad RIP. Well, as you can imagine that was not the problem. I have rerun theentire backup process from start to end and the rebuild process multiple ttimes with the same error occuring in the same file. I also Ripped the movie on a second DVD ROM to check for a possible problem there.

The only thing I can consider is there is something odd in my system config and perhaps its time to go back to the good old bultiboot PC setup.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

What's a "bultiboot PC setup"?

I don't think I can be of much help on this one. I've seen the dropped frames, but didn't get the problems you're experiencing. That's why I wondered if the dropped frames was directly involved. Sounds like you've been working on this problem for a while. I've noticed a differnce in dropped frames between using CCE Basic and an SP trial. That's why I wondered if you'd used HC or an SP trial to see if you had the same problem. Are you just having problems with anime or are there others? Your problem would be a good one to pose to jdobbs or one of his gurus on the big RB thread. That's where they hang out.

8. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

brobear,

Sorry, about that. The line of text should have read "Multi-Boot" operating system configuration. I used to use winXP/Win 2000 on the first hard drive..

As for the problem it seems to occur mostly with Anime and now and then with some television shows with the BBC logo. I may post this one on DVD-rbs main fourm. I just dislike running into a problem that I cant fix or understand. However, such traits seem to be more helpful then harmful most of the time..

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Good luck and hope you find the solution.

10. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

brobear,

I thought I would post this update.

Last night I let DVD-RB run with HC and not the standard CCE Basic 2.7 encoder.I I checked the DVD-RB log file this morning for the "possible dropped frames" message. The message was absent. I am now reencoding the same title with CCE once again to verify the encoders problem.

On a error in the output again, I will switch to a prior version of CCE and see how it goes. It should be interesting to see if there is a change between CCE versions of the same product line.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

I've noticed the difference between Basic and the CCE SP trial. That's why I knew Basic was guilty of dropping frames. Though in my case that didn't cause a problem with the output. Was the video output from the HC encoder better? You didn't mention that. On older versions, I haven't had problems, so I didn't check the logs to notice dropped frames. I'd only noticed it happening because I checked a log for other reasons and saw it and ran a check. I first noticed it a couple of months ago.

12. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

I have not had a opertunity to check the output of HC, just the log file right now. I will check it out later on this afternoon.

I started to check the log output files mor offten when I noticed a problem with a few Anime backups. Most of the problems were very small, save for the episodic series I was working on.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

It'll be interesting to see if there is a difference in output between the different encoders. HC is said to be as good as CCE, just slower. You've already seen in some instances it doesn't drop the frames. Now to see if it makes a difference in the output. Glad I'm not having those problems.

14. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

I will let you know if I can tell the CCE or HC encode apart. However, Anime is not a great ssubject source for comparison. There is only so much detail in animation.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Gnomex

The dropped frames as has been stated may not be a problem. Anime is originally filmed with 24 frames per second. It has to be telecined to 29.97 frames per second so that it will work on a NTSC TV. I suspect that the problem is in the source material and not RB.

16. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

The odd part of the problem is it is not occuring all the time. I could encode the same title 3 times. 2 out of 3 times there might be possible dropped frames. The 1 out of 3 will not contain this message.

Also, using HC encoder ( anime test) the problem failed to appear 3 of 3 times. One would find this fact odd indeed. On a side note, I encoded "The Matrix" to really test the encoder. It seemed to work fine. I did not watch the entire movie, just a chapter or 2 (favorite parts) to check out the output. It was very clean and sharp.

While this may not be a stressful problem it is a problem at times. I have watched a backup of one of the animes before I sstarted to check the DVD-RB logs and there were some dropped frames. Needless to say the backup hass been redone.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

I'm still wondering about the quality of the problem anime output using different encoders; that part you never revealed.

18. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

brobear,

The output of HC looked good in terms of the Anime backup test. I would have a hard time telling CCE' Basic from HC in this source test. I think the dropped frames message is a general problem with CCE basic and some source material. Also, as a more comprehensive test I did the matrix and looked at a few action scenes. Needless to say, I was impressed with the output of HC.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Strange business... I just never associated the dropped frames using RB and CCE Basic with being a problem. I always thought it was just part of the process with that encoder. I would imagine the situation happening with most users and them not even knowing it's happening. I continue to use the CCE and have yet to have a problem with the output.

20. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Join the club. I never used to check the DVD-RB log output file until I noticed a problem with anime backups. Lets mark it off as one of those things that one only learns as time moves on :).