1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible DVD-Burner problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by docgreen, Nov 1, 2007.

1. docgreen

docgreen Member

In the past I've been able to make successful copies with my DVD burner, but recently i've been spitting out nothing but coasters.

I've tried different movies, and I've switched media to Sony with *some* improvement, but the discs still will not play in my DVD player. When I try to play the disc it tells me "disc error" and spits it back out. (The dvd plays fine on my computer). I've also tried the same media on a different computer and it plays fine in the DVD player, so I know the problem is not with the discs or the ability of my player to read the paticular type.

My DVD burner is a:
    Toshiba-Samsung TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B
    DVD+/- RW DL

I've tried updating the firmware, but gotten nowhere. The paticular model isn't supported by Samsung/Toshiba because it was manufactured for Emachines (Gateway). And I check with Emachines and they were like "firmware update?? Uhh...."

What i don't understand is that I've never had a problem in the past, and i haven't changed anything with my system. Any ideas out there?

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

ok what programs are you using to backup the DVDs ?

the Sony media is ok but still not you're best choice try usiing Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim burning no faster than 8x max.

and if you're using the DVD+R format booktype to DVD-ROM or use the DVD dash R format instead

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

perhaps your standalone laser needs cleaning if it palys on 2 pcs and you have changed nothing in the making of the dvdr and useing same media...

4. docgreen

docgreen Member

Generally I use DVDShrink (with NeroExpress 6.6.0.13), occasionally I'll use DVDFab Decrypter if DVDShrink can't decode a particular movie. I use the same programs and the same media on both computers, with the exception of the burning software. (The computer that gives me no problems uses an OEM version of Roxio.)

The standalone DVD player has no trouble reading discs burned on the other system. Those copies always come out fine. But on this computer all I seem to get are coasters.

I did finally manage to get my firmware updated. (big thanks to ImgBurn for finding that update even when EMachines/Gateway couldn't help me at all).

The firmware update didn't seem to help any when using the Sony DVD-R media (DRM5GG0001) However, I found a single Maxell DVD+R and managed to burn a successful copy by booktyping to DVD-ROM. Unfortunately i don't have anymore DVD+R discs to test with.

I'm a little confused by all this +R -R stuff, so I don't know if this is significant or not. All I know is that I used to be able to burn movies just fine, now I can't... LOL

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you're standalone dvd player for some reason doesn't like the Sony media plus the Sony media can code out different from batch to batch thats why i recommed using Taiyo Yuden or Verbatimn its the same everytime and takes the guess work out of wondering if it will work or not from one spindle to the next one. if you don't want to mess with booktyping i would use the DVD dash R in the TY brand or Verbatim and it should work fine

6. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Check which DVD's your using, DVD+R, or DVD-R. Some standalone DVD players will not accept both formats. Check your players documentation. Try a different standalone DVD player, maybe a friends. If it works in theirs and your accepts both formats. then your standalone may be shot. Had a little trouble understanding your statements. Hope this helps.

7. docgreen

docgreen Member

Apparently i wasn't clear enough in the last post... using the same sony media in two different computers, one computer produces successful copies... but THIS computer produces only coasters

The problem is not in the standalone player. I can almost guarantee you of that.

The only successful copy i have produced from THIS computer (in the past few months) was on a Maxell DVD+R that i booktyped to DVD-Rom. Everything i've tried on THIS computer using the Sony DVD-R media has not worked.

so.... any ideas?

8. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

I think it might be time to Replace your Burner.

9. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

OK, got it. Check to see if you have the program PC DOCTOR pre-installed. ALL PROGRAMS/PC HELP AND TOOLS/PC-DOCTOR. Use this program to test the burner. If you don't have this program, let me know. Another option is to try swaping burners between your two computers, providing both are desktops? If the burn failure now appears in the other computer, you'll know you need to replace the burner. A new OEM burner would cost about $40.00.

10. docgreen

docgreen Member

Checked, I don't have PC-Doctor and wasn't able to find it as a download. But here's some more interesting burn results i've gotten:

Using a pack of Verbatim DVD MINUS R MCC 03RG20 (made in taiwan) and ImgBurn i have all kinds of problems.
    First off, I noticed that reguardless of what the max speed is set at, once i get to around 5x the acceleration slows dramatically.
    I set the burn speed to 12x and as soon as it gets to 11.9x it stops and I get a write error.
    I set the burn speed to 8x, and same thing. Once i hit 7.9x I get a write error.
    Tried it at 6x and did finally get a successful burn... but then it wouldn't play in the standalone player.
    Tried with Nero, same results.

Seeing as how the only successful copy i've made in months on this system was on a Maxell DVD PLUS R with the booktype set to DVD-ROM, I picked up a 5-pack of similar discs. Wouldn't ya know it... they worked like a charm. Using Nero and booktyping to -ROM i was able to backup a copy of Shrek the Third at 16x on the very first try.

I'm pretty confused. I know in the past it never mattered what type of media I used, and my drive is SUPPOSED to handle ALL types of media. ( +/- R, +/-RW, +/-R DL) Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Also, here's the error message i was receiving from ImgBurn using the Verbatim discs:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    I/O Error
    Device:[1:2:0]TSSTcopr CD/DVDW TS-H552B GA05 (E:)(ATA)
    ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check condition
    CDB: 2A 00 00 0A 0B 60 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write(10) - Sectore: 658272 - 658303
    SenseArea: 71 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Write Error
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cannot write medium - Incompatable format"

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

sounds like for some reason you're drive doesn't like the Verbatim media. Have you tryed Taiyo Yuden ?

BTW there is no such thing a DVD minus R media its referred to as DVD dash R or DVD plus R lol

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  12. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Check this thread out. http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-TS-H552B-DVD-Burner/ It appears your burner has a problem with media compatibility. Make sure your firmware is updated. You will either need to find a compatible media that works well with your burner or replace your burner. I myself, would replace the burner. Here are some top rated burners: Pioneer DVR-112D, LG GSA-H62N, Pioneer DVR-112, Lite-on LH-20A1P.
    Here is part of the review. The main negative points: This drive has some negative issues, like the questionable write quality on DVD-R's, CD-RW's and DVD+R at 16x. We also like to mention the poor media compatibility and that some media will be burned on lower speed then certified. (I.e. DVD+R 16x with Philips media code will be burned at 12x and DVD+R9 DL with Ritek media code is not implanted in the firmware). The drive does not support booktype bitsetting on DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R9 DL which lead to very low compatibility on i.e. DVD standalone devices. Another point is the 8x reading speed on DVD+R/RW/DL and DVD-R/RW - other drives can do this at 10x. The same goes for the reading speed on CD-RW which is locked at 32x.
    I did look for PC-DOCTOR Diagnostics, and did find it with a Google search. However, like most software these days it now cost $29.95. No more reason to check your burner's laser. It appears to be more of a compatibility issue. Please, post your results if you should decide to replace your burner. Try NEWEGG.com
    Finally, go to DVDFAB.com, download the 30 day free trial of DVDFAB PLATINUM 4.0.1.2. You will be very happy with this program. Very easy to use. Has great tutorials and online support.

13. docgreen

docgreen Member

Well hopefully you're right about it being a media compatibility thing. Some of the stuff you posted is right on with what I'm experiencing:

some 16x media will only burn at 12x max
    DVD-R just doesn't seem to work worth a damn

it SEEMS like I'm able to do the booktyping thing though. It acts like it works when I change it. How do i tell with a finished copy if the booktype was changed to -ROM?

14. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Here check out this information. http://www.booktypefaq.com/ This article appears to cover what you asking about. This article is a little old so just replace the DVD DECRYPTER tutorial with IMGBURN. As far as, I know their both about the same program in many ways. This thread addresses you question, as well. http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s183a-change-booktype-dvd-rom-210202/ The DVD Identifier, program works really good, give it a spin. I like the word MCIAHEL used in the CDFREAKS thread... Automagically. LOL

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

if you have anydvd it will say also

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.9.3)
    LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S 9L08 2007/06/20 17:07
    Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
    Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
    Size of first Layer: 1669344 sectors (3260 MBytes)
    Total size: 3338672 sectors (6520 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: VIDEO_DVD
    Media is not CSS protected.
    Video Standard: NTSC
    Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
    Structural copy protection not found.
    Autorun not found on Video DVD.
    Bad sector protection not found.
    Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  16. zagnut

zagnut Member

Bullpucky. I have the exact same burner, in my souped up turdbox made by eMachines. I upgraded my firmware to TS12, the latest version from Samsung. I've had no problems, with the exception of it not liking crappy no-name discs. But, I also updated my BIOS in my PC and did a clean, dual boot XP/2k install when I got it. Maybe the BIOS has something to do with it. If you can't get TS12 firmware to work, the latest from Gateway is GA05.
    Just google "Samsung TS-H552B TS12" or "Samsung TS-H552B GA05" and you'll find the firmware. Also, make sure the IDE channel it's on is set for "DMA if available". Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, properties, Advanced Settings, Transfer Mode, change, reboot.
    Good luck.