1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible hard drive failure?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by menz83, Feb 26, 2007.

1. menz83

menz83 Member

Hey all. Just built a new system a mere 2 weeks ago. For storage, I bought a new Hitatchi Deskstar T7k500 320GB and I threw in an old Maxtor 120GB SATA. Anyways, roughly 2 weeks after building my system and newly copying all my files from my old system to new, I start to hear a loud clicking noise coming from my new Hitachi drive. A quick google search lead me to believe that my hdd is on its way out so I empty my 120GB, back up as many files a possibvle and hope it holds out. During the whole process, the loud clicking noise was apparent. I did things like defrag and virus scan and the noise levels were simply unbelieveable! So I the filled an rma at the place I bought it, switched my computer off then went to bed.

Over 24hrs later, I came home from work and thought about hooking up a spare 80GB IDE to an enclosure and back up the rest of my not so important files. I boot up into windows expecting to hear the clicking noise but there was none! I thought that it was bound to start after a few minutes, but once again I was wrong. I then tried things like defragging and virus scans but the drive is operating totally silently! My computer has been running for the last 3 hours now and I havent heard a peep from it!

This has left me confused as I dont know what could have been causing the problems in the first place. I now fear sending the drive back to the retailer for them to find there is no fault then re-charge me postage to send it back.

What do you guys think could have been the problem? Should I send it back to be sure or is it possible that there is nothing wrong with the drive?

2. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

im not sure what the problem was but if i were you id probally send it back, i've sent things back that i thought were broken but maybe werent to sites like newegg and they usally just ship you a replacement without issue

3. Zenon003

Zenon003 Guest

Do send it back and get a replacement. The noise coming from the drive can come and go but it is not a good sign. I have experienced drives with this type of problem. It may last a while but it might go completely after a period of time. Once you hear grinding or what can sound like a scratching noise coming from a hard drive it is on its way out. Especially if it is loud.