1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Memory Conflict (Please Help)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by batigol, Aug 10, 2004.

1. batigol

batigol Member

I think i have 512 DDR333 in my PC at the moment and i was wondering if i can double it by putting in 512 DDR400 or would i have to put in the same ie:512 DDR333 for it to work

Please help

Thanx

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I think it would depend on your Motherboard specs. Some let you use mismatched memory and some don't. I usually try to match the memory which will usually give you the best performance. When mismatched memory does work, you usually lose some performance or speed. These are just my rules that I go by and have tested. Others may disagree.
    But if you match the memory it will work the best.

Jerry

3. hogan

hogan Regular member

Matched memory is best, but if your mobo supports mismatched speeds the faster memory usually runs as fast as the slower memory. check your mobo specs and possibly save yourself a few system crashes.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

To avoid giving seemingly random adivce, for the record, what mobo do you have? Most mobos will support mismatched memory but I've encountered one (an NF2 based MSI one at that, odd) that was really picky on the memory.

5. Ronrice

Ronrice Member

ytou should know what your specs are

6. batigol

batigol Member

I have an ASROCK K7S8x, AMD 2800+,and i am going to buy an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro so i thought i would up my ram as well.Is there a big difference performance wise if i just buy another 512 DDR333 or just replace the 1 x 512 DDR333 with 2 x 512 DDR400

Cheers

7. Ronrice

Ronrice Member

since you have one ddr333...just get another ddr333 for best performance...to match your current ddr333. and youll save money...

8. batigol

batigol Member

Do you think that graphics card will be ok with that motherboard and a case which has a built in fan on the side of the tower as i have read quite a bit about the 9800 pro overheating.

Cheers

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Not everyone knows -- nor should they know. If they dont know, we can help them figure it out. In light of that, perhaps you should look at your specs.

Odds are you'll be fine with either 2xDDR333 or even 1xDDR333+1xDDR400 (because it will clock at the slower one). Now if you really want to run stock DDR400 then replaced both but odds are (1) you wont notice a world of difference and (2) you can OC the DDR333 up to DDR400 no sweat

New topic new thread... keeps things clean around here :)