1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible to use USB on Tivo to capture DVR programs via Wi-Fi network?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by VJbob, Oct 14, 2004.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I have a wi-fi network set-up and I'm wondering if its possible to capture Tivo programs from the computer and then burn them to CD/DVD. If this is possible whats the name of the Network Adapter that I need to buy (any recommendations) and do I need to get a program?

I know that most Tivo shows aren't high quality but it sure would save space on a 40GB DVR.

Also is it possible to do the same with Hi-Def broadcasts?

2. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I have two TiVos, one "Series 1" and one "Series 2". I have the Series 2 on my network with a 802.11b Microsoft USB adapter. The Home Media Option works well to view photos that reside on my PC, and programming the TiVo from the internet is simple and convenient.

I do not know of a way to get programs from my TiVo set to my PC. My network does not recognize the TiVo as a network drive.

My new Sony VAIO desktop has Microsoft's XP Media Center Edition installed. The DVR functionality allows me to record TV programs exactly like my TiVo, but with its "Click to DVD" software I can burn these shows to DVDR or DVDRW. The quality is amazing.

With the record quality set to the highest level, I can fit a one hour show to a DVD, or two half hour shows.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I don't have a Tivo, but I did some research several months ago for a friend who wanted to set up his DirecTivo to do the same thing. I believe you can set up an FTP server on the Tivo (it runs linux) and get the files that way.

4. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

whoa that sounds complicated. If its not too much trouble could anybody explain or direct me to a link which tells me how to deal with FTP servers? I'm not sure if it would work with my regular TiVo series 2 but it does have USB ports so its likely.

I was kinda hoping I could just plug a USB network adapter and drag and drop from my through my wireless router.

5. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Yeah, I was hoping for a simpler method. I thought that since the new Series 2 models allow you to watch a recorded show on another Series 2 box, you might be able to access the show on your PC. I would need an idiot-proof instruction sheet to try the FTP method.

I never answered part b of you original question about recording HDTV on TiVo. There is a DIRECTV version that records HD broadcasts, but currently there are no plans for TiVo to manufacture a HD compatible standalone DVR.

The Hi-Def programs take a larger hard drive to store the same hours of programming. I use digital cable and have no plans to switch to a dish based service, so I guess I'm out of luck for while.