1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly a newbie question...

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by evildrew, Nov 10, 2001.

1. evildrew

evildrew Member

I'm having problems playing back some of the .avi's that I've downloaded recently. The video plays just fine, but the audio plays back incorrectly (or not at all). I reinstalled the current divx codec, and I've tried it with WMP, Realplayer, The Playa, and Global Player. All the files that aren't working appear to have been created with Nandub v0.28. Is there a new codec floating around that I don't know of? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I've had the same problem -- I didn't analyze it very much, but downloaded original DivX ;-) v3.11 alpha codecs (and after installing them, reinstalled also DivX4 codecs and selected "don't use DivX4 for DivX3 playback") and also latest Windows Media codecs and that solved the problem.

3. evildrew

evildrew Member

Well, I reinstallled the 3.11 alpha codec, then the Divx 4 codec and chose not to use divx4 for divx3 playback. This seems to have solved some of the problem. Almost all of the .avi's that were giving me trouble are playing now, except for one. As far as I know I have the latest windows media codecs... The ones that came with version 7.1. I'm starting to think that one movie may just be f*cked. (pardon my language.) It's 'Family Man', by the way. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

4. johndoe

johndoe Guest

I have a similar problem, but for me I have no audio and no video, I have both the the Divx ;-) v3.11 and 4 codecs. I'm using the the V4 codec to play the v3.11 files, I really appreciate any help!

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

johndoe: Like said earlier, your problem probably gets solved by uninstalling DivX4, installing DivX3 again and then installing DivX4 and NOT using it for DivX3 playback.

6. johndoe

johndoe Guest

Thanks, I'll try it!