1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Yup, it's the same! I was asking Oman7 about it because I noted that he had one, while you were answering my question! LOL!! Sorry for the confusion.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob & omegaman7,

I just placed the order for the drives and media, and the deal even got better. I knew the drives were free shipping, but they usually Zap you for shipping on the media on these deals. Surprise, surprise! When I filled out the order, there was no shipping at all! $15 for the Ridatas and $16 for the verbs!
    Outstanding deal good until 1/31!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106228

Just scroll down the page to Combo Deals, and click View all!

Thanks again Guys,
    Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, I do not have a DH-20A4P. Ive been hesitant because of its generic name. Are you listening LITE-ON??? YOUR generic name is BS!
    Nah, the scanning that others are doing, burn quality, complaints, etc...its looking like another average to above average Litey In my opinion. I would jump on that deal though Russ :D Thats a SWEEEEET deal.
    Well then GM, thats some good burning indeed, for what your working with, ;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

(first of all sorry if i'm taking up to much room for this post)

Aright Mr.Greensman..i had some time on my hands to do a burn on the Antec 300 with the LG Burner now this is a Network burn so..I don't think it will make a differents speed is 8x's with a Verb 16x +R image was pulled from my 320gb wd drive off the centurion biostar i45...
    [​IMG]

here's the burn in progress
    [​IMG]
    the Red Lights are for you Robo...lol the
    fans are on low the disc's i'm using you see are sitting on top
    of the case in the pic
    [​IMG]
    now the scan with the dh20a4h in the antec case
    [​IMG]

ok i took the disc out and scanned it in the centurion
    with the ad-7200s first then the liteon 18x not dh20a4p drive
    in this case cause..i figured i would get same score..
    [​IMG]
    liteon 18x
    [​IMG]
    and the ad-7200s
    [​IMG]

i believe the lg just does that with my -R 16x Verbs..
    (orange spikes)I have tryed a few ty's also that..i have...
    I only have burned at 2 speeds so far with the drive 8x
    and 12x both my dh20a4p like's the -r's alright and the
    18a1p also...i'm getting low on the -R's verb's 16x and
    may order some ty's 8x but for now..my hands are up in the
    air on sending the drive back to newegg or not i need
    to find somebody with the same drive and using the same
    media to see if they are having the same issues...

blessings...
    Will

you said they was a Loud drives...I have 2 there working out find
    for me run with the deal my friend they like +r media to me the best but..I have yet scored a 98 with a Verb only 95's it maybe the batch
    of media...i picked up from micro center...hey Russ your only paying
    $15.99 for 100pk they want $22.99 at micro center for a 100pk you gotta away like a Fat Rat on that deal

best of luck Russ

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    I won't let the noise bother me as there are a number of drives out there that are much louder then Lite-Ons. Can you say Phillips? ROFL!! Oman7 and Rob both said that it was a good deal so I ordered two of them this morning. The damn bank has put a 7 day hold on the Business check I got yesterday for my computer, but I talked to Newegg this morning and I'm going to place the order as "Pay by Mail". That way the order is confirmed and I have 10 days to get them the check. Once the check clears, I just call them and switch it to the Card! LOL!! "Ah what tangled webs we weave"! ROFLMAO!! I can't complain, as at least the order will be locked in for 10 days if needed!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Okay here's what happens when you don't pay attention. I was backing up PandG with Nero Recode 100% no compression. And did not set the speed to 8X which is what I use for myself. It was on Max and it followed orders by burning such @18X. On a verb 16X +R. One of the higher scans I've gotten with the NEC AD 7200S. LOL

[​IMG]

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Awesome discs!!! Ive burned them at that speed a few times. They do pretty well indeed. :D Though for sake of the burner I dont usually go above 12X
    EDIT - This has sure been an interesting morning for me. Rebuilder errors, iHAP errors, HIGH fragmentation. The iHAP422 just lost a great deal of respect from me. Its burn quality officially means nothing to me. It ripped a disc last night leaving errors in the files. There was a tiny little spot on one of my discs, that the iHAP doesnt seem to notice, where the other burners cant read through it. So basically the iHAP believes its doing a good job where infact its not! My first NEC burner was doing that kinda stuff after it got cancer! I no longer smoke around my computer. Looks like I may be slapping the LG back in my tower! I dont understand how the spot got there either. Its brand friggin new. Well... guess its going back!

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

OH you sumbiches!!! ROFL... I almost bought another friggin drive then realized I have 8+ sitting on the shelf right now!! Anyone need a drive (my pick) for pretty cheap? :p

Anyway... I resisted as I don't need discs or a drive and am posting strait away. lol.

@O-man7 you make me laugh.... ROFL. ATAPI is just a designation for the device itself. The name means NOTHING, trust me. There are quite a few Philips drives out there that I can flash to a Lite-On, as well as Sony's, and so on. The thing that makes the difference to me is what the numbers are that define the drive. Like iHAS120 or AD-7200S. I know what those 2 drives are and they are pretty good too. ;)

There's some good scans in the bunch. GARmoonY you keep trying.... you'll get there... heheeee. :p

Back to you O-man7.... It sounds like the iHAP422 is ignoring read errors for some reason, if you can adjust that in the program then do so. If not then DON'T use it as a RIPPER. Some drives just aren't good rippers and some drives are. NOT all drives are created equal, especially when it comes to ripping. I've heard there are some LG's that are wonderful rippers so you might search that criteria but I'm afraid they are long gone, of course I may be mistaken... I am frequently, just ask the wife... hehee. :p

Onward and upward..... :)

....gm

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

As always gm, your words of wisdom are much appreciated. Yah, i'll agree with the "not all burners are created equal as rippers". My DRU line drives are the best ive had so far. Guess im gonna give the TRUE samsungs a shot next time. Because while the iHAP SEEMS to burn good, it does not rip good. Same goes for the optiarcs. The optiarcs burn well indeed, but they're slow rippers (FOR ME ANYWAY). My DRU840 rips like there's no tomorrow, LOL. NEVER any errors, rips quickly, quietly. And I just noticed that they released a DRU865. Could be worth looking into. But, I think i'd rather pay sammy, where gratitude is due, LOL.
    Yah, I realize the atapi generic name. It just seems to be a bad OMEN for me! Call me crazy...
    LOL, I guess the DRU865 could be an optiarc in disguise.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hmm! My last true Sony, I beat flat with a 5 pound sledge! Sony figured out a way to cheat me out of 6 months of my Warranty. When it went bad after 3 months, they replaced it. When it went south and I tried to get it replaced, they told me the 90 day warranty on my refurbished drive had expired (they gave me a friggin refurb as a warranty replacement) and wouldn't do a thing for me! I don't buy anything Sony! ROFLMSOAO!! Oh, it's hanging in the garage sort of like a mobile! LOL!! Didn't do anything for the drive, but it was very satisfying for me! Either way it didn't work!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Yeah I haven't bought anything $ony in years either. Built in quick obsolescence.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh... but they're NOT ACTUALLY sony, err $ony, as it were LOL. I see your point though. Im gonna give samsung a shot anyway. what is it... the sh202 people rave about??

13. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

First burn after re-flashing my 120s. Still no impressed, but since they both are burning almost identical results and GM is getting good results, I think that maybe I just have a slightly inferior spindle of disks. Will have to crack open the other spindle and see if there is any improvement.
    Smart Burn Only @ 12x (actually only reached 11.3, which makes me even more suspicious of the media)
    [​IMG]

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    As far as I know, the DRU's are all Sony brand drives, not Optiarcs. Who makes them I have no idea, but it shouldn't be Optiarc! That was large part of the agreement when Sony/NEC/Optiarc was formed as a company.

I've heard good things about the SH222F. One of the Mods recommended one to me, Either Creaky or Loco, I can't remember. I just ordered two Lite-On DH20A4P drives this morning for my new AMD build!

Russ

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well russ, if your correct, and im not saying your not, then this will be the last time I use ---> THIS site. According to this site, it is indeed sony/Nec, with an NEC chipset, just like the opti's. Thats why I thought it was a rebranded opti.

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Mr.Greensman..i had some time on my hands to do a burn on the Antec 300 with the LG Burner now this is a Network burn so..I don't think it will make a differents speed is 8x's with a Verb 16x +R image was pulled from my 320gb wd drive off the centurion biostar i45...
    [​IMG]

here's the burn in progress
    [​IMG]

now the scan with the dh20a4h in the antec case
    [​IMG]

ok i took the disc out and scanned it in the centurion
    with the ad-7200s first then the liteon 18x not dh20a4p drive
    in this case cause..i figured i would get same score..

liteon 18x
    [​IMG]
    and the ad-7200s
    [​IMG]

i believe the lg just does that with my -R 16x Verbs..
    (orange spikes)I have tryed a few ty's also that..i have...
    I only have burned at 2 speeds so far with the drive 8x
    and 12x both my dh20a4p like's the -r's alright and the
    18a1p also...i'm getting low on the -R's verb's 16x and
    may order some ty's 8x but for now..my hands are up in the
    air on sending the drive back to newegg or not i need
    to find somebody with the same drive and using the same
    media to see if they are having the same issues...

blessings...
    Will

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I may be in the market soon. Im about to put a sledge hammer through this iHAP for DESTROYING my day. Ok... maybe thats overreacting a bit. Rebuilder was having some trouble with a ripped folder, that I believe to be due to the iHAP's wonderfull ripping skills (sarcastically speaking of course). I REALLY need a quad core phenomII!!! I could have trouble shooted this soooo much quicker! I wasnt completely convinced (SILLY ME) that it was the burners fault, sooo... I reinstalled avisynth (newer version 2.5.8), Defragmented my HDD. Nothing was working. And this is a SPOTLESS disc now. And no, there was no incredible amount of encryption, unless they've changed their tactics. I really thought that the FRAGMENTATION was the culprit too. It was EXTREMELY fragmented. I still wont know till the morning. Now im trying again, having ripped the new folder with my DRU840. We'll see. Wouldnt be the only burner problem ive had lately. Went to install Windows 7 on my ol'girl HP pavilion, and it gave me the fairly infamous error, "bootmgr is corrupt." I was like NO WAY!!! swapped for a different drive and presto.
    So yah... if my encodes are done when I wake up in the morning. Plan to see a pile of rubble, "here lies iHAP422, I left MUCH to be desired!!!"

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

will,
    i see your getting like Omegaman..LMAO. i dont see anything wrong with those scans you have done. below 10,000 on your PIE's. under 100 on pif's no spikes over 2 its not gonna get much better. i dont know what you guys are expecting out of these drives, i dont care what kinda setup you have your NOT gonna get a 100 score. not unless you use photoshop.not even the highly rated plextor 716 will give ya the type of scores you guys are wanting.... the scans you guys are getting are above normal scores well above, you should be more than happy with them

you might want to turn your jitter test on. those liteons will do jitter. the LG's and such dont.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I have a couple of questions for you. First is why do you let this stuff bother you? I've seen a lot of your scans and most have looked pretty good. If you are looking for a perfect 100, it ain't very likely to happen! Another thing I don't understand is that the scans themselves really don't represent the burn quality, only the quality of the drives ability to read the disk that you made. Are the errors you see in the burn or the scan? How many errors are caused by a drives inability to track perfectly, even though the alignment of the laser may be in spec but slightly different? How many errors are caused by the reader and the writer both being in spec, but one drive leans one way in it's specs and the other leans the opposite way? It's like the guy with two watches. He never knows what time it really is! LOL!!

Until you guys get some true consistency in your testing methods, by using what you feel is your best drive to scan with, instead of skipping all over the place scanning with different drives, you're not going be able to establish any real baselines to be able to judge things by. This hodge podge scattergun approach just doesn't work. If you establish a baseline with one drive and test everything on it, and then pick a different drive to do the scanning with, and repeat until you run out of drives, eventually you will see some sort of a pattern develop in the scans so that you will be able to see and understand better what's going on. like I said, they will never be perfect, as there's just too many variables to take into consideration.

I do know this, I do pride myself in the quality that shows on the screen. I still use RipIt4Me and DVD Rebuilder/CCE, and probably will never do a Dual-Layer burn. If the quality is on the original, I know that it will be there on the screen with my copy. I've only had three compatibility issues with other equipment, and that's something I have no way of controlling. I have a couple of 6 year old Emerson stand alone players and they have played every DVD I've ever put in them. My 4 and 5 year old DVDs still play as good as the day they were made, and I've only had to re-do about a dozen DVDs, all from my very early burns, when I knew very little about doing them.

I know in my industry, we have high cost, precision made DVDs that are used to calibrate the drives. Before you ask, they don't work on our kind of drives! LOL!! Then again our drives don't cost $2500 or more each, either! LOL!!

I'm not in any way throwing rocks, but just pointing out the need for more precise test methods. You can eventually get there by the present way of doing things, but it would be a lot easier with a more logical and organized approach, in my view!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

You guys are insane!! No other way to put it. lol.

Ok... lemme try this again. :p

1. As you fellas know these scans are mainly eye candy. Soooooo when you don't get that elusive 98+ score its ok, the world isn't coming to an end. lol. BUT remember just because you got a decent score doesn't mean the disc will play in a stand alone dvd player. I've had some great scans NOT play for you know what in the dvd player.

2. One drive is NOT like the rest. Just as O-man7 and bigwilly are finding out just because it's NAME brand or supposed to be a good drive doesn't always prove itself to be so. Ask RedRob about a certain LH-18A1P that he has and the one that I have.... hehehee. Sorry Rob but that's the best example that I have. Mine is still going strong and always has and the 3rd one he received decided to play nicely. ROFL. :p

3. Again... drives are NOT created equal. One drive might be a great ripper and the other one might be a great burner BUT normally you don't get both in the same package. docTY (when he was here) had his Pioneer DVR-109 rip and his BENQ DW-1650 burn discs and regularly posted 98+ scores (with the BENQ) on the Nero scans. His Pioneer just ripped a better file than the other drives he had at the time.

4. Remember to always keep your computer nice and clean. Run what ever cleaner you want to and defrag often. With that said I don't do it enough.. Sooo take that with a grain of salt. lol.

5. Obsession is NOT good so don't obsess over these silly scans. Have fun and use them as a basis for finding something that works well for you. What works for you DOESN'T always work for someone else. I'm having pretty good luck with my iHAS120 and fergie is not as pleased. NOTHING wrong with his results just not the same as mine. I've had a few of those moments as well. I had a BENQ DW-1650 and DW-1655 when they were the craze and didn't care for them at all. Sold them both and should have kept the DW-1655... bigwilly has about worn that baby out I think. lol. :p @ bigwilly. ;)

6. So in conclusion..... Remember these results are sometimes individual and should be looked at with a passing eye normally. The scans are for fun normally but they can help you find something that is off, say like a poor ripper or bad media, or even a bad batch of media. Creating a clean machine or smooth running machine will normally result in better burns so keep that in mind as well.

If I missed something you guys add as you see fit or ask questions. I'm not the authority.. I see docTY, Joe Ryan, or even some of the other members as more qualified than me... even hobbit is a great source for knowledge even tho he just pops in now and then.

So have fun and keep those "elusive" scans coming. ;)

....gm