1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob & GM,
    I'm sending the Lite-On's back. I can't tolerate the noise they make, and one is twice as loud as the other. Here's what I am considering. Right now I'm leaning towards the Pioneer. It's only a 20x, but it seems to have a higher customer rating by a wide margin than the other two, but I did note someone here buying the LG and it seemed to burn OK. What do you guys think?

LG
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

Pioneer
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129023

Samsung
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151175

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have the LG. I believe it to be questionable! Slow reader, Barely OK burner. However a firmware could correct it.
    The Pioneer ive heard good things. Heck, its trusted in duplicators!
    The samsung, I would trust! I have several rebranded samsungs that are awesome! My next buy WILL be samsung. Hopefully, I didnt just hexx you. I tend to do that to both myself, as well as others :(

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ,
    I would get the Pioneer or this LG. linky I know it's SATA but you should have enough SATA ports available with that superior mobo. :) I also know you're weird (more than this really) about using IDE but SATA works nicely and the mobo you went with should have NO issues at all with SATA ODD's.

...gm

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah... i'll be making that switch myself. From this day on, im done with both IDE and Usb burners. 6 sata ports is definetely awesome. Wish it were more like 10 to 12 though. But thats what add on cards are for. Sata is here to stay, ladies and gentleman lol. Atleast for now ehh. Heck rev 3 comes out some point this year. As well as usb 3.0 Cant wait to play with that!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks Guys,
    I'm gonna order two Pioneers in just a few minutes. I really don't want a 22x as they seem to be louder than the 20x. I'm sticking with IDE though. I have it, it's there to be used and I don't see any reason not to use it. Besides it makes things very neat in the case as the IDE port is perfectly in line with the drives!

Thanks again Guys
    Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No prob buddy :) I dont see the point in 22X anyway. Heck, I think 8 - 12X is plenty fast enough. The poor drives sound like they're doing Transwarp beyond that!

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    LOL! You must have been listening to the louder of my two Lite-On drives! You can here it buzz all over the house! It's loud to the point of being very painful and annoying to the ears! LOL!!

Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Until they can design them atleast a little better, 12X is my top speed for archiving purposes. Vibration is the largest factor they OBVIOUSLY need to work on! Yah...my LG is EXTREMELY loud at 22X. It made me cringe!
    Well this disc has me a bit nervous. As well as the program. The lighter weight version (4.7.7.16) wont scan it, so I scanned it with Kprobe to be sure it wasnt some kinda software glitch. Then I ran Version 5. So next im gonna run a different disc through the lighter weight version, to see what the prob is. Something tells me its the disc though. But then I just plugged in multiple devices sooo...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Scan it again and see what happens. SAME drive and SAME progie to see if it was just a read error or the disc itself. Sometimes those errors just happen and there's nothing you can do about it but make another disc. Of course it could be the disc and therefor you need to be aware of any other issues with that batch or cakebox. :p

....gm

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...these watershields also have a hardcoat (which protects from scratches) which may be thicker or atleast of a newer material that burners arnt optimized for. This media VARIES ALOT!!! The regular TYG03's scan burn ok, but these watershields are alot different! Keeping this grass mowed down is quite tricky indeed. Infact im at a loss til they release a new F/W that addresses the issue. I know I know, hardly an issue, right? Im used to seeing an average of 100-300Pif, so this simply will not do. Yes they play ok but...

Yah... 4.7.7.16 didnt like the leadin. Ive scanned this one and no more bugs :) Most unusual! I am noticing this batch has some serious imperfection issues. Gonna go through SMS next time. Ive been going through meritline to save a few bucks :(
    [​IMG]
    I suppose it could be worse. So as Hobbit would say, "Not a bad little ditty that an't too &*^%%^$"

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Turns out it was a good thing when I decided to replace both the Lite-Ons! It dawned on me that I never tried a burn with the quieter one. I also noticed that the trays don't quite close all the way, you have to push them closed the last64th of an inch. The quieter drive don't burn! Goes through all the motions and after it's finished with no errors, it just hunts forever on the disk. I ordered two Pioneer's! I'll pack these up tonight so if UPS Delivers them in the morning I can just give him the package!

Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

hmmfff! Sounds to me like Lite-on may be slipping! Im gonna start doing some SERIOUS homework before buying anymore burners!!! I would rather pay twice the price for a near guaranteed badboy, than half the price for a possible lemon!

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

In case some of you missed the hidden link in my last post go here and check out this ODD. ;) $20.99 delivered is almost to much to pass up. ;)

LINK AGAIN to the LG

...gm

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm pretty sure these are the AD-7200 drives but I'm NOT 100% sure either. Some research should shed some light and some more research should give a clue as to what needs to be done to make them "official" NEC drives. I'll do some research to ensure my assumptions.

link to IDE model

link to SATA model

...gm

add: The f/w for it is on this page and I'm very curious to find out about the drive. link to f/w

YEP it's an AD-7200S!!! link to "proof"

O-man7 I think that I heard you jumping up and down and screaming like a little girl. :p

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, i'll agree with that. I think the DRU865 could be too. I wouldnt mind that badboy. Most of my DRU line drives have been good. Hey..while were talking about optiarcs. Have you RIPPED alot with them? I worry about pixelation being introduced when there's slite dust or slite marks on the shield. Have you tried ripping NASTY discs with the 7200 A OR S?
    Videohelp makes make me believe that its an optiarc. Russ said thats not possible since the two (sony/NEC) have an agreement. But their chipset is in black and white. Any thoughts???

EDIT - would that LG be the renowned renasas???

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Don't know about the DRU865 but the dru-v200S is an AD-7200S NO DOUBTS in that. See post above with links and such. ;)

Russ isn't always right, he'll tell you that as will I (about me that is). ;)

....gm

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Is the LG you posted about a Renasas??? Do you not trust videohelp? Should I mearly use it as a guidline?

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Videohelp isn't always correct but they get it most of the time. The GH20NS15 is a Renasas AFAIK. CDF is about the best source that I've found for researching that sort of thing. I know that GH20NS10 is a Renasas chipset and the *****15 is built on the same chip from what I "hear". ;)

...gm

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok all i just opend up my AD-7220S to see what chipset is in it.. and from what i have found from a google search its the same chipset thats in a liteon LH-20A1S. which dont make since seeing it is supose to be a 22x drive???? heres a couple pics of the drive opened up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

whats funny about it i havent been able to burn anything faster than 20x either.

edit:
    bad GM grammar
    2nd EDIT:
    must have done something wrong putting it back together. i cant get any power to it. the led wont light up, tray wont open. nothing.... i know i didnt touch the chipset and even if i did it shouldnt kill the drive. should it?
    3rd EDIT:
    well looks like ill wait a month to replace the 7220S with the NEW iHAS624
    look here
    http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/550123.html
    4th EDIT:
    heres the kicker it is gonna be a liteon with a NEC chipset...funny huh? the 7220 with a mediatek chip and the ne iHAS624 with a NEC chip???things that make ya go Hmmmmmmm...yup been readin info from CDF...lol

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009