1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You guys aren't going to believe this. One of the Pioneer's quit! First I tried 5 new cables with the same result. Finally I switched out the drives, and the problem moved with it! I even tried a single 80 wire cable and it didn't work either! Must be my month for drives! LOL!!

Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I know how that goes buddy, I truly do. :(

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I called Newegg this morning and they are sending me a new Pioneer drive. They told me to throw the bad one away! I don't even have to return it! It should be here tomorrow morning! Must be my week for bad drives! That's three in one week! LOL!!

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That kinda bothers me. I would think both newegg and pioneer would be interested in discovering what the problem was. So they can prevent it from happening in the future. NOW THAT would be awesome if a manufacturer cared that much!!!

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I think it has to do with the shipping costs. It cost's Newegg a minimum of $5 for shipping from me to them, and then they need to pay another $5 to ship it to Pioneer, for a total of $10 on a $20 drive. It just isn't worth it economically! It's a very highly regarded drive so I'm not expecting any problems with the replacement. I'm going to take it apart and see if I can find the problem. It's probably a cold solder joint or bad connection somewhere because the ID that pops up in the post reads Piod/z? and other odd mixes of letters and characters, while the good one always reads Pioneer! It's a bad connection somewhere, and I'm going to take a whack at finding it! Nothing to lose! LOL!! I just wish I could do scans with it!

Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You can! I Read somewhere that with a proper REGISTRY entry, it can be done. Im not sure where I read it. So you'll have to do some digging. Ive gotta get ready for work here :(
    Heres another iHAP burn with every Bell and whistle turned on except "disable smarburn" I must admit, I like the looks of this one!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Russ if it is supported your pioneers can scan. but like OM7 saidyou need to get into the registory and remove the drive from the banned list. i had to do it with the SH-S203B samsung i had. it did scan but wasnt that good. i couldnt tell ya how to do it,as LOCO told me how to do it with my samsung drive.

here is another burn with the new 16x+r verb. the pie's are going way down but pif's are going up
    [​IMG]

i dont know what the heck that last post is supose to mean?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

spam reported. The post was 1 D 10 T error

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i did the same thing moony.. cant beleive they can come in my house and get away with it...lmao how'd ya like that 95 i posted.. it is a low 95....lol

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

had to burn a TY just to make sure things are all well..lol thinking i will try one of these @12x

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    That's the problem, Rob. The function isn't supported! That's the error message I get when I try to scan with the Pioneers.

Russ

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

what i ment by that was in your registry there is a list of so called banned drives (i had like 5 of them in mine,and the SH-S203B was one of them) if you get in there and take out your drive you wont get that error... i know the one your talking about i got it as well. once i cleared the drive from the registry it was fine. you might try and look over at CDF;s as to a way of doing it. ive only done it once and dont remember how to do it.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow rob. Im having similar results with my MCC 004's (verbs). Either verbatim is slipping or our drives simply miss TY discs ehhh LOL
    I must admit, I had some silver printable TYG02's a while back. Those remain the best discs I've used to date. LOW failures!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    I'll send Loco a PM and ask him then!

Thanks,
    Russ

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...the usb converters much of you have heard me talk about...one of them may be seriously failing. The buffer was rather erratic at 8X today. I guess ive known this could happen. ALL of them have done a 16X burn with little buffer underrun! Then 2 of them wouldnt pass 10.5X. Now one of those is barely handling 8X it would seem. So...I can only conclude that running them in a long term fashion such as I have, may not be a good idea for those backing up Crucial/vital data. I will not buy another IDE ODD! Before too long, IDE wont be supported on any MOBO. It is time to fully embrace Sata! I guess for while these ODD's are still working, I could attempt to convert them to sata. I have seen converters for that. No doubt those are built for longevity! Guess I'll think about it. Thankfully it's the cheapest one thats failing!!! Go figure LOL

16. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I've had the same great burn results with white inkjet hub printable TYG02's that I got with the TY silver inkjet TYG02's. Both are great discs!!

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh...dont get me wrong. I like ALL that is TY! Im simply stating that the Silver TYG02's hold the record (FOR ME) for the lowest PIF!

Its possible that I bought them shortly after release, and got some of the batches that went through VERY rigorous testing! I had consistent burns averaging less than 100 PIF. The lowest being 60!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I have one of those IDE to Sata adapters, but it's only Sata 1.50. I've never seen a Sata 3.00 to IDE adapter! The one I have plugs into the IDE port and converts it to Sata 1.50. It only supports one Sata drive!

As far as IDE not being be around much longer, Guess again! You have to take into consideration that they go by the greatest amount of sales types. Fully 90% of all computer purchases have O.B.Graphics, OB Sound, Floppy port, Serial port, IDE port, and Flat IDE ribbon Cables for the Optical Drives! Even Dell, which made the switch to Sata 3.00 for their HDDs a few years ago, still uses IDE for their Optical drives, with flat 80 wire cables! It costs more to implement two additional Sata ports than it does to just leave in the IDE! That's why they give you two Sata 3.00 ports and one IDE Port. The IDE is basically free for the Manufacturer! It's the MainLine Consumer that's holding things back. It's what they want, and since they control 90% of the market, they get what they want, and enthusiasts like us have learn to live with it! LOL!! :)

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Once again, Well put russ :)

I would think sata rev1 would be plenty of bandwidth for an optical drive. Heck the quickest ODD's barely surpass USB rev2!
    My understanding of these bandwidths is limited however. If im mistaken I apologize. I'm merely stating this from what ive seen in KB/s! Infact, the quickest bandwidth ive seen an optical drive yield, was around 1/10th(slightly better) sata rev1.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks Oman7, I use progressive logic! But I don't fall into the trap of since B follows A, B must be caused by A thinking! I used precisely that to solve and repair the Drive Newegg told me to throw away. I reasoned that since the Drive worked every time I un-plugged the IDE cable and then plugged it back in, that there was very likely a High Resistance Connection somewhere in the IDE port on the drive. I took my soldering pen and re-soldered all the pins, and it now works! I've burned two DVDs and ran RipIt4Me, processed the rip with DVDRB/CCE and burned it with Nero, with no problems. I've played the burn on the problem drive, and no problems there either! I'll stick my neck out and say I think it's good to go!

By the way, you are right in your assumptions as far as bandwidth goes. Even in burst functions, the data transfer is no where's near the data rate capabilities of ATA 100, let alone ATA 133, also known as UDMA-6! It's going to take inventing some new technology to accomplish that!

UPDATE: I've used the drive all day and it's given me no problems at all. I think it's safe to say it's fixed. I did some scans with DVDinfoPro, and the Pioneers don't scan worth a hoot! When I scanned the burns on the Lite-On in Oxi, I got my usual 95%. Once in a rare while I'll get a 93%, and even rarer is the two 98%'s I've had! One on a Sony/Yuden 8x T02, and One on a Ridata 16x R03. Both burned with an Emprex 12x Burner, at 12x!

I had this BNG drive and I had problems with it. I couldn't get anybody at BNG at all. I installed an Emprex a friend bought, and noticed that it was the same exact model number as my BNG, so I called them. While remaining very vague about Emprex's connection to BNG, they helped me! Even sent me the stuff to flash the drive. When my BNG finally died after about 13 months, I bought an emprex! Cheapest DVD Burner I ever bought at $15.99 and it was a jewel of a burner! I guess I got one that was built on a Wednesday! LOL!! It lasted over 200 burns! All of which still play perfectly! I replaced it with another 16x Emprex, and this one was built on a Friday, at 4:50 PM! ROFLMAO!! I returned it and bought my first NEC based Optiarc!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009