1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Tell you what creaky, Nero 7 was full of bugs too! I hated it! That's why I went back to 6.3. It works fine in 64 bit XP-Pro!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

As most regulars know, i usually only use Nero for multiple concurrent burning as Imgburn can't do that, but lately i've stopped backing up DVD's to DVD, instead i tend to convert DVD's to AVI and backup however many AVI's fit on a DVD using Nero, as it's a little easier to do data files in Nero than in Imgburn. But that's just me.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I've never done that. I've converted AVIs to DVD, but I've never tried to go the other way. I don't think I know how to put multiple DVD to AVI conversions on a single DVD. How do you do that, copy them as data? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL!! Always trying to learn!

Russ

4. creaky

Yeah just as data files. It's because every AVI movie lives on an internal drive (as the main PC is my media centre PC) and each AVI is also on an external USB 2.0 hard drive as a backup. So the AVI's backed up as AVI's are just a last resort backup, i certainly wouldn't want to trawl thru thousands of DVD's to copy movies back!

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Not only that, but I've had more problems using DVDs for data in the past than I ever had with CDs. I have absolutely no confidence in doing it that way at all! Sometimes I've had software I backed up on a DVD that wouldn't work, even though I verified the data. I have no idea why. I keep all my Data DVDs in a cool dark place. No sunlight, ever! I use good Media! I was using Ridata R03s and then switched to the TW Verbs when the R16s came out. I fact I was pissed enough to go over to Ridata, as they are close to me, and bitch them out because they gave me 18 R16s in my last 100 pack of R03s. I think 12 of those failed, and all the rest eventually died too! They only had R16s, so I told them they could stick them where the sun don't shine, and I'll never buy another thing from Ridata if I can help it! Eventually they sent me a 25 pack of R03s. They could have sent me a thousand and it wouldn't matter! They treated my like some senile old codger because I was pissed that all those R16s were mixed in with the R03s. There attitude was "How dare you complain"! The early R16s were horrible! Many had visible defects you could see with the naked eye!

Speaking about bad media, remember when CMC was know as the company that almost put Memorex out of business? Some of the recent scans on CMC DVDs have looked pretty good!

Russ

Russ

6. creaky

Yeah i use very large amounts of CMC's, but only the CMC Mag M01's under the Maxell guise. I use them for the kids and for myself, very good discs indeed. I haven't bought any blank media in.. (can't even remember when!) it might be a year ago now, not just due to money worries but because i only buy in bulk. In fact i still have most of my prized "Verbatim TY's" (TYG02's) from the bulk buys i made back in 2005, most tubs are still shrink wrapped. Due to the many hundreds of 16x Verbs i last bulk bought and the many hundreds of Maxell's i rarely have to touch the Verb TY's but i make myself open one every now and then, surely they can't last forever on the shelf!, 4 years is good going, i guess they do have a good shelf life after all, and they did spend a few years under the waterline on the river so i guess you could call them watershield's LMAO.

It's got to the stage now that i have too much stuff on DVD and trawling thru them is a pain hence why i now keep everything on hard drives, whether it's movies or program updates etc, i use the main PC as a HTPC/file server now, external hard drives as backups/overflow and DVD's as last resort backups, as i say there's just too much stuff to make DVD's a viable restore method anymore, but you just know that if you don't backup to DVD something will happen and you'll regret it. Hard drives are good but they're not quite that good..

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I could use another 4 Imation Disc Stakkas myself. Each one holds 100 CDs or DVDs. You read them just like a disk drive and just click on the title you want, click eject and out it pops. You can also take as many out as you like. Just be sure you click on the right title on the list that pops up when you put them back in. 5 Disc Stakkas would go a long way towards making my DVDs much easier to find! Runs off of the USB, and you can stack 5 of them on one USB cable. I wouldn't as it would be too tall, so I would do two and three! It would be nice! LOL!!

Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok. I've been misunderstood. Lets say you have a monitor with a resolution of 5120 x 3200 wide. How well do you think a dvd is gonna upscale to that ratio? Probably not too good. Unless you've got software that works miracles, and a processor that can keep up! Its like trying to blow up a postage stamp. It just can't be done, at least not by conventional means. Im sure we don't have to worry about that resolution for a while though LOL!

Sorry about off topic.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I have no idea of what the original resolution of a DVD is, but I can see the detail of the leaves on the trees down the Beck, in Fairy Tale! I've been to that part of England, specifically Cottingly, and the DVD looks so close to real that you want to reach out and touch things. It's almost like being there! I can barely tell the difference between the original and my DVDRB/CCE copy! People actually gasp when they see the picture quality on my monitor when I'm playing a movie! The only exception to that is if the quality of the original movie itself, is not that good to begin with!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I like the pic (on my Sammy 40"LCD) of a not much compressed DVD played on my upconvert Panny player, muy mucho. I know it's not 1080p but for these tired eyes, it's a hell of a lot better than regular TV and not even comparable to VHS tape. The step from my set up to Bluray is not so great, but I can tell the difference. It's just doesn't pass the cost muster.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Truthfully, it all depends on which VHS you have and the quality of the VCR. Get a good high quality "Super VHS" with the Hi Fi Stereo sound, played through a high Quality 27" Flat CRT TV with the good Toshiba Tube, and you would be very surprised at how good it looks in direct video. In the old 1933 King Kong, you can see the girl's boob pop out as they fall off the cliff and into the water with Kong chasing them! You can't see that on most VHS setups. The tape itself was made from a master film copy, as was my DVD of it! Of course, you get what you pay for! The TV and VCR cost me about $800 way back in 94! LOL!! I gave them both to my sister when I first came to California, and they still work well! Of course, I was in Audio/Video at least part time, most of my life. I knew what brands and models to choose from. Price was not the object at the time! It took me two hours to decide whether to get a Mitsubishi or a JVC. I finally decided on the JVC. Back then they made some of the best stuff!

Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I dont mean that dvd looks like total crap. Just when you compare Dvd to Hd on MY monitor, the difference is substantial. Call me crazy, but the 50" plasma in the living room doesn't display dvd like the first time I saw dvd. Perhaps i've simply become more critical, Huh. I still appreciate dvd a great deal :)

13. glendon00

glendon00 Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Irrelevant

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Is that a spam sandwich above you Oman7

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I would think that that kind of blatant Spam qualifies for a short vacation away from AD for a few weeks at least. Give him some time to contemplate the error of his ways! As I recall, that kind of post is strictly against the rules! My feelings are that it needs to be taken care of now, before all his "cousins" show up hawking their wares too, otherwise we will wind up buried in Spam! Just my thoughts on the matter.

Russ

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nah... just remove the post and ban his arse!! What a DA!!!!

add: actually sounds impressive.. LOL. I think a proper post in the APPROPRIATE forum/thread would have been nice but here it seems like ADVERTISING to me. Anyway... I'm sure the MOD's will handle it nicely. :)

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hell i think its more the relavent for this thread. goes hand in hand with what we do. another tool to rip,convert,backup, ect....
    now when i goto the link and it gives me virus's malware and junk like that then LIGHTING can strike. On the outside looking at it, it looks like a nice azz program..

ill be back with a scan. actually be the first one with the Q9550 at 3.7ghz(SMOKIN!!!!!!!!!)

EDIT:
    here it is. just from the few mins ive messed with it, it looks nice. alot you can do with it.

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    it uses up some power like dvd-rebuilder.
    [​IMG]

Hmm gotta work with it some and figure out waht is what? thought i ripped the disc with it. only as a vob files. no .IFO with it. burnt to disc and wont play in dvdplayer... learning curve. good thing i used a CMC MAG....lol

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Hum! And you have to pay for it and it doesn't work-that's "spoilt spam on a shingle," is there anything worse? I'm sure they didn't pay AD to advertiSe (that's for you creaky). Maybe you'll put the spam in the latrine, where it belongs.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

who paid for it???? ;) lmao