1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

A link at the new cdfreaks says that it is indeed an Optiarc. The 7241S. I thought so. Looks like im back in the market for a proper lite-on. This time i'll do my homework first ;)

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Is this what you're looking for??

linky

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Gm, you're awesome! Now please remove that link so no one else can have it LOL!

I had pretty much given up on that model. VERY hard to find anymore. Although this was weeks ago that I looked. Perhaps someone pulled some out of a cave they've been hiding in LOL!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@gm

Thanks for the linky, I just got the last 20A1S. Sorry Omegaman! j/K

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

As im sure most of you are aware, I have this way of hexxing things. I speak good of something, it turns to utter crap, I speak badly of something, and it tries to prove me wrong. I have been skeptical of this burner since I opened the tray...

And now, I have here the best burn score one of MY burners have accomplished :D iHAS 424 12X TYG02

By the way, I bought that LH-20A1S drive :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

One of the best 004's i've seen in a while. 12X iHAS 424
    [​IMG]

7. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Couple of new ones, both kind of short, both burned @ 8x on Optiarc7200S:

[​IMG]

This might be the best one I've done yet at 8x (PIE & PIF speaking):

[​IMG]

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's one burned at 12x and scanned at 8x on a -R verb, with "Frankenstein"! I call it Frankenstein because it was made up of parts from two different model drives. I swapped the guts of a belt driven tray mechanism with a gear driven one from a different model LiteOn. Not to bad for a seriously modified drive! A few minor glitches along the way, but it burns and plays well!

[​IMG]

The guts I put in it were basically new, as all it ever did was sit on the floor and run a cash register. I doubt very seriously that it ever had a DVD in it, and very few CDs! No Jitter on this model though! Still, I'm happy with the result!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Lookin good guys!

Here's another awesome burn from the 7241S.
    I ♥ you Taiyo Yuden :D
    [​IMG]

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Same burner (7241S) at 4X speed this time. This is exactly the reason that one does not burn at the slowest speed possible. The 7241S is designed/calibrated to high speed burning. 8-12X is the sweet spot for these discs and burner :) One simply needs to find that sweet spot for themselves. While some burners may prefer 4X(Older burners) others will not.
    Its also the reason you don't utilize the full diameter of the disc. Even TY discs have imperfections on the outermost edge. 4450Mb is usually the absolute most I go...
    This is the worst TYG02 burn i've ever seen By the way.

However, since its a TY disc, im sure it will play fine ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Guys, i have a request, can any of you who still use DVD Shrink look thru this link ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/811719/4911829 - the last part about Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 run-time files. Can you post in there (only if you use DVD Shrink) with your findings re whether or not you use Auto Updates and whether a few of the files in the MS link exist on your machines (i'm not asking you search for all the files). I only looked for Msvbvm?0.dll personally.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a fairly old disc. Not bad for the media. Im re-backing up this one, due to the age and condition of the disc. Near the outer edge, from sliding in and out of the Booklet, its produced a foggy/scuffed like condition. Which is why there are higher failures near the outer edge...

I ripped it with the iHAP 422, and had the LH-20A1H compare the image to the disc. It passed with flying colors :) Looks like i'll be trusting the iHAP as a reader more and more (Knocking on wood)

2.4X NEC ND-3550A(Max disc speed) It was a good burner while it lasted :( I gave it cancer...
    [​IMG]

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's another 7241S burn. Plays perfectly :) What a twisted movie! Reminds me of "The good Son" with Macaulay Culkin, and Elijah Wood. Very good movie. That is if you like a twisted horror movie ;) Definitely not for children under 15(IMHO).
    16X Verb004.
    [​IMG]

14. coaxper

coaxper Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Not too shabby! Despite the 3 high spikes. Its still a respectable scan :p

And now I've got my new LH-20A1S to play with.
    Thanks once again GM. I haven't opened it up and hooked it up yet, and im already excited! I'll likely hook it up tonight.

12X iHAS424(or should I call it the Optiarc LOL!) I'll stick to its proper name...
    [​IMG]

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a beautiful comparison scan. As you can see, they're very similar in scans. Which tells me that it just might be as good or maybe better at reading discs. I love lite-on :) This was simply its first test. Now i'll begin a few burns, to see how she's doing in that arena.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Burned By LH-20A1S, and scanned by LH-20A1H. I don't usually burn with these drives. They're too valuable as readers. Im just trying to give'er the proper run in ;) I don't doubt for one second that this disc is playable.
    [​IMG]

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

They are good burners too but I would make sure you have some sort of Smart Burn running with them. IT makes them better. :)

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea my beloved 20A1S would burn anything i threw at it heck i even got a couple 98's on a 16x+r C-MAG. sure do miss that drive..lol speaking of burning stuff at 4x spead i remember when i first started here a couple years back everyone was burning at 4x and didnt think to much of burning at 8x's i think i will take one of these 8x+r verbs from microcenter and try 1 at 4x and see what i get.

this is what i get @4x burn speed
    [​IMG]

no different than 8x..lol

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, 4X is GENERALLY too slow anymore. There are instances that require it, but for the most part modern media and modern burners prefer at least 8X.

Really loving lite-on :) 12X TYG03 using smart tools with everything enabled. MUCH better eh Gm ;)
    [​IMG]