1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nice one Oman7.. ;) That is one of the best drives made. Well for Liteon that is. :)

Robert throwing something into the mix. ;) Nice one Robert. :D

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i dont have my Liteon 20A1S but i did just come across a 20A1H (ide lightscribe) ,y work is redoing all of the computers here and tossing alot of parts old P3,P4 systems mostly Dells. in amoungst the mayhem i found a nice looking 20A1H drive. looks to be in great shape. hopeing to see it burn tomorrow, as i am work now..lol would sure be nice if it worked.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If it's even ½ as reliable as mine, you're in for quite the treat. In well over 500 burns, and at least that many rips, its still going strong. The best lite-on i've used to date. I'm liking the sata version of the drive as well :D It saw a rough looking disc recently, and was able to read it completely. I must admit though, some of the newer encryptions, it reads slower than my Samsung or optiarc drives. In fact it literally hangs up. Neither have had a coaster EVER :) Not even cheap media. But I don't usually use cheap media. I think I have some CMC MAG media laying around though. Under the "Datawrite" flag.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

OM7
    what firm ware are you useing with it? i might have yo update its firmware. plus im gonna look hard into the lightscribing part of it if it works.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LH-20A1H(LL0D)
    LH-20A1S(9L08)

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm sure he knows who C0deKing is... hehehe. :p

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes, i'm aware of C0deking :p However i've never seen the need to go beyond critical firmware releases. Lite-on is awesome without the extra effort :p

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@rob

I have the Opti 7240S not lightscribe. I love the drive. Took out it's bigger brother Opti 7200S which was great also. I don't waste my laser on LS discs. If you do lightscribe use a B&W instead of color pic because the contrast will be better.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have both of them. They're both the same optiarcs! i'm rather angry about that too. I was after a genuine lite-on when I bought the iHAS424, and it turned out to be another optiarc. I have found lite-on's to be excellent readers. I'm not saying optiarcs suck, but my luck with them is simply good burners... I guess my next lite-on will be their iHOS/iHES BD reader :D I suppose I should be open to their burner too. But the LG 8X BD burner is looking pretty tempting...

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    I have a pair of Optiarc 7220s drives and I like them a lot. For the past 3 or 4 years I've only had Optiarc Drives, and I've had nothing but good success with them. The 7220s is made by LiteOn to Optiarc's specs, so the tray mechanism (LiteOn's Achilles Heel) is more sturdy than other LiteOns. It's not just a rebrand of another model, because the face of the drive doesn't match any LiteOn model. The face of the tray is about 1/16" taller than any other drive, LiteOn makes. My first Optiarc drive was an AD-5770a, and it only died recently, after more than 4 years and well over 300 burns! In fact it's the only Optiarc out of about 40 that I've bought and sold, that has ever gone south so far! Even the one in my old P4 Prescott is still going strong after 4 years. I didn't burn as many in those days, because Encoding was a set it, and go to bed, affair! It took hours! Today, ripping the DVD, processing with DVDRB/CCE 2 pass, and burning the DVD is all done in about 40-50 minutes for everything! Sometimes even less! Other than having Southbridge problems, where I trashed a lot of DVDs, I've never had a failure related to the drive. Even those I trashed, were all because I went against Nero's advice and attempted to burn them anyway, usually with bad results! LOL!! Optiarcs, are still my drive of choice!

Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Optiarcs are excellent burners, Period! :)

The 7220 is a lite-on. You can do anything with it you can with a typical lite-on from what I've heard. I avoided that one like the plague when it came out! I regret it now LOL!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I've had some terrible Quality scores with a defective batch of -R Verbs, but even with a quality score in the low 20s, they still played, even with all the visible errors in the dye! LOL!! I still chuck them!

Russ

14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Have any of yall upgraded to Blu Ray burners yet? And if so, what experiences have you encountered?

15. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

That's a good question garmoon! I might be venturing into ripping and burning that format in the near future so I'd like to know too.

To all you US'ers - Have a Happy Thanskgiving!

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i do have 3 Optaric drives myself and the 7220S being one of them. you are correct it does JUST ABOUT everything a liteon does. it will not do jitter testing.

i went with the ihas424 just for the fact i havent had a ihas drive yet,plus it will read the second layer on a DL scan.

seeing that the wife just got us a blueray player and i got the boys a PS3 for xmas i might be venturing out into the blueray world, but damn it is costly for these bad boys a BR Burner is still $189.. wow!!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  17. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Robert,

Be sure to check the make and model of your blu-ray player, not all of them will play burned/backed up blu-rays.

Have you priced the cost of blu-ray media lately? Even though it has come down significantly, $3.20 each in quantity is still pricey.

You do realize that you can put a blu-ray movie/HD DVD/HiDef movie on red laser discs(both single layer and DLs)? I've done a couple and have been told they play and appear sharp(my blu-ray player won't play them). You still need a blu-ray player to play it, the format is called AVCHD. In this case all you'd need would be a reader to rip, much cheaper. Newegg has a Liteon reader for about $70 with powerdvd software and they also have a bluray reader/regular burner for $90 OEM(no software). J Dobbs has software to shrink, I think its called BR Rebuider. There are other varieties of software too, I am using Ripbot 264.

Reguarding Lightscribe: You really interested in this? The labels fade and burning the labels take about 20-40 minutes. Laser life and hence, burner life, is drastically shortened. Each label you burn is like burning 5-10 discs.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

here is the one she got me/us
    http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...-BD60K.S_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection

is this what your talking about as for the being able to play the burnt disc?

DVD-R/-RW/-R(DL) 2 Playback DVD Video, DVD-VR, AVCHD,
    (DVD-R/-R DL only)+R/+R(DL)/+RW Playback DVD-VR, AVCHD

ive let a buddy of mine use some backups, he has a PS3 and they play fine on it he say's so id take it the PS3 will play burnt movies ok then?

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My brothers getting a PS3 for christmas. Then I can start REALLY fooling around with the technology. He just got a 40" 1080P HDTV. Looks pretty good. Unfortunately his PS2 does not LOL! BD media is still pretty friggin expensive. I'd be pretty angry if my disc printer were to bleed on a BD disc like it does occasionally on my Dvd media. I suppose that generally falls under cheap ink cartridges though ;)

I'm strongly considering the LG on newegg that's getting pretty good reviews. I am however pretty partial to lite-on. So if they get their act together, and put out a good model, I WILL buy it :D

20. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Robert @ O-Man7,

Robert, the panys are generally quite compatable, however I've noticed that the upscaling in general for standard dvds with bluray players leaves something to be desired. Occasionally I will notice that there are interlaced lines on the screen image. My standard dvd player plays dvds better.

Some info regarding compatability:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144674&highlight=player+compatability]

Here's the link to the Rebuilder forum at Doom9:

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=75]

Here's the link to Ripbot264(which I use) forum at Doom9:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127611&highlight=bluray+player]

Found it!

This forum is for BD standalone results/tests on DVDR of AVCHD, BD, FULLBD, CROPPED, HDAUDIO. Took me a while to find again.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146339&highlight=bluray+player]