1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hobbit112,
    I use ConvertX and rip 720p/1080p to a DVD 9 in file mode, and then process the files with DVDRB/CCE, 2 pass. The video quality is far superior to that of a standard DVD!

Happy Thanksgiving to You and Yours,
    Russ

2. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Absolutely agree Russ!

I use/have been using Ripbot264 because I've been converting HD DVDs and it does both. Since my blu-ray player doesn't play BD-9 or BD-5(known fact, it's a Sharp), I've been converting to mkv, placing on an external drive and playing with a WDTV. Have done about 100 of them. Only problem with Ripbot264 is that it only allows you to choose 1 audio stream.

Will eventually get a blu-ray drive for the 'puter (probably an external so I can move it between 2 'puters, have a AMD Phenom II 940 and a AMD Phenom 9650) but haven't decided on a burner or just a reader. Will also be getting a new blu-ray player, probably so I can play the red laser AVCHD dvd-9 backups.

Happy Turkey Day and may your stomach not explode!

Peter

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Peter,
    The biggest problem I ran into using ConvertX, was a secondary Subtitle file, that was not attached to the main body. I had to use Auto Gordian Knot for that! ConvertX also offers the option to mix AC3 and DTS sound for better sound quality.

Russ

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Can a ps3 interface with a pc(say thru USB) and act like a reader drive for BluRay discs so I could rip a bluRay to HDD? Thanks for the other comments.

And Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate the occasion.

Also the $3.20 for blank disc doesn't sound too bad. I probably wouldn't use it to back up more than 10/yr. So why am I wasting money even thinking about this? Hmmmm. duh know.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

hobbit112 - Here's our BD Rebuilder thread to add to your list :)

Ouch. To day this i still haven't found a need to buy even a single Dual Layer disc, so i'll let you guess how many Bluray blanks i'll be buying.
    Plus i'm only now making a dent in the stocks of "sexy Verbatim TY's" i bought back in 2005.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I generally don't use Dual Layer's my self. However I may on a recent movie. Its almost as though the industry took their compression to the max. So if any more compression were done, the outcome would be undesirable... Funny People

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Funny People looks to be 146 min/153 min. DVD-RB would probably still make mincemeat of that, plus it's only a typical comedy so it's not going to be graphically taxing anyways. On a side note i wonder how many people could sit thru a comedy over the usual 90mins or so :p
    I'm actually really chuffed i've never had to buy a DL disc. Even 720p BD/BR Rips fit on SL media..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've found that 3Hrs generally looks good, where the original video quality was very good. Basically, the better it looks before hand, the better the compression output :)

Haven't watched it yet, but it is getting fairly strong reviews.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Anybody know when Taiyo Yuden is gonna release BD media? I see verbatim has some. I imagine when TY releases them, they're gonna be super expensive... 6$ for printable Verbs doesn't seem too bad. But they do need to come down. If they were 3$, I'd probably jump on board the BD bandwagon in under a month. No optiarc blu burner yet either. Perhaps both of them are perfecting their products :D

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Happy turkey day ladies and germs :p
    [​IMG]

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I must have been having a senior moment in thinking of spending a tidy sum of money on BR player, burner, and movie and media. When I already have just what I've been happy with so far. But enjoyed all the input. Might have a change of heart when DVD goes the way of the "global warming hoax".

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Don't get me started on that cr@P!! :p

I've played with some BDrips and converting them to DVD format and the picture is captivating. ;) I was just curious to play around with the format and I'm pleased with it. ;) I still can't justify the format in my house as the people inhabiting will destroy said BD and then I'd have to visit the big house for homicide... hehehee. :p

Anyway... I'd have to purchase a BD reader, NEW cpu, NEW mobo, maybe NEW RAM, and then of course I'd have to get at least 2 1 TB HDD's. ;) So the outcome of a few BD blanks is NOTHING to that.... ROFL. ;D

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks MOONY. :)

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Interesting comparison Garmoon. I don't believe i'll ever have a need for one though :p My brother will have a PS3, I'll have a BD-Rom at least here soon. I'd like to see movies the way they SHOULD be seen on my monitor :D

Here's a 12X TYG02. Boy that Pi E has me a bit nervous. And from the looks of things, 8X would have been better. The majority of the failures are in the 12X burn speed zone... Jitter looks interesting too.
    I may just have to make this board a backup board. I'm not used to seeing TY's look this rough. And I wonder yet again, could having an obscene amount of devices ran through the Southbridge, cause some kind of problem. Or do I have an even larger problem. I've been noticing benches, and hearing the way russ talks about both his quad and dual cores, makes me wonder if my CPU is holding back somehow. I noticed today how it Jumped to a radical speed during encode, and then seemed to slow back like it couldn't quite do it. Makes me curious. Perhaps I should have stuck with a brand that works for me. I've noticed how brands kind of Choose their owner if you get me ;) Sony is dreaded by some, and favored by others. Asus is favored by thousands, and dreaded by others, etc.
    [​IMG]

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The iHAS424/7241S sure don't do as well as the 7200S/7200A do. Such a pity. I have seen worse though that played...

iHAS424 16X TYG03.
    [​IMG]

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

I like what you're thinking but I wouldn't get stuck in a rut. ;) There are so many good brands out there but they all have their lemons. :p I can't remember what you have but ASUS, DFI, GIGABYTE, MSI, and Intel offer good mobos.... I'm sure someone else will kick in with some other off the wall brand but hey... ya gotta have your standards. :D

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My first was an HP/Asus. My second was an MSI barebone, my third and fourth have been Gigabyte boards. The MSI is still as smooth as a babies bottom. In fact, If I didn't know any better, I'd say it were trying to keep up with the gigabyte and her quad core phenomII :)

My current Gigabyte board, is the one im wondering about. Its had a fairly rocky life...

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

welcome to my world of gigabyte boards...lmao
    no im not wishing any bad luck on you... hopefully i have taken it all so others wont have to deal with it..lol

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'd like to say that my next board would be an MSI, but the last one I bought for my brother went nearly tits up. I say nearly because it would decide when it would power up. It was NOT the PSU! But then, it was one of their cheaper models. Perhaps like i've heard about asus, one should buy their more expensive models to get a good board. Perhaps manufacturers take more pride in their top dog products...

I suppose it is possible that im somehow overlooking the obvious, and its something simple. It wouldn't be the first time :p

I've had two Gigabyte boards, two MSI's, and one asus. Perhaps I should give Asus another shot. People do use their boards for benchmarking quite a bit. Or perhaps a biostar. My sisters computer has a biostar. Nothing wrong with it.

Sorry about the rambling. This sort of conversation should probably be in the building thread...