1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

the main thing to remember guys and i know we all know this. these QC scans are not scans of the quality of the movie but how good the info was transfered to the disc in the burn. if you burnt a crappy disc to a new one it is only transfering the info either good or bad onto the new disc it wont make the info any better.. just a test of info transfer from one disc to another. thats why so many that do have bad scores do play great and last along time. and vice versa.

as the Creakster said the CRC is the best way of testing the info that was transfered. if anything is missing it will show there...

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes indeed. I've ran a CRC check on a very nasty looking TYG03 scan. It checked out ok. Though that was with a SUPER good reader LOL! That drive nearly reads anything ;) I'm reconnecting it here shortly. It's sitting in a dead tower right now(LH-20A1H). It along with iHAP422 will be my primary readers. The optiarcs I'll run via USB. At least til I can get a tower fashioned for multiple optical drives :D

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a little burn. Scanned with (Long time no see) LH-20A1H. Thought i'd give it some exercise ;) Plus I prefer it as a reader.
    iHAS424 8X
    [​IMG]

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

OK Guys, I've never seen this addressed. If I burn a copy of a DVD, will the burner of the copy read it better than one that did not burn the copy. Or does it matter which one reads the copy?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

garmoon,
    I tried a little experiment the other day, which I posted here. I did a dual burn and then switched drives with the DVDs. I did a scan on both and the were for all intents and purposes the same. At least as close as any two different samples could be. I have 2 Optiarc AD7220s burners.

I did have an Asus DVD-Rom drive which could have read a box of Cheerios if you could get them in the tray! LOL!! best reader I ever owned. It would play DVDs and CDs that nothing else I had would. It even allowed me to make a copy of Encarta, in spite of not working from the day I got it with a new computer.

Russ

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

If you got a good transfer of information then it shouldn't matter. I've told that a good burner doesn't care about the source but you know how that goes I"m sure. :p If you have a BENQ they like each other better than let's say a Liteon in my experience. ;)

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@greenie and theone

I scanned Hurt Locker burned on a TY T02+R by an Optiarc 7240S. It scanned it as a 95 with only 2 2PIE max. The LH 20A1S Lite_On gave it a thumbs down 93 with a small cluster of 3 max PIEs. I will post them when I get time. Really not proud of the original burn on the 7240S on a TY.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The 7240's like high speed burning i've noticed. 12x -16x. What did you burn it at?

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a pretty decent burn. Burned via external usb connection.
    7200A 1Z2 8X I've seen some of my best scans from that little bugger :) Can't wait to see how the new board compares.

Looks like the iHAP422 is going FULL belly up LOL! First I quit burning with it, now it looks like it may have a drive issue. It was being stubborn with the last disc rip. Acting like it was quite the chore to spin up. I've always felt funny about these models. Ever since they went from LH and DH, i've looked at them differently. It's because they're not proud enough to put their name on them. E.g. In programs, they refer to them as ATAPI, or Lite-on. Unacceptable LOL! Just kidding. But it does make a guy wonder...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  10. richpngu

richpngu Member

Could someone explain to me how to interpret these scans. I have looks around and I can't find anything that explains what the scans means.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Omegaman7

I burned it at 8X. Max for TY T02s. My verbs I've been doing at 12X.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

nice link creaky.. i was gonna answer that question but your way was better..lol hey have you seen arniebear around any? i know he was haven health issues.

OM7 im with you on the quality of these newer lite on drives. even my 20A4P which sometimes it burns and does what it should and some times it don't do DOO... i just think these manufactures are trying so hard to TOP the next guy that they are just putting out junk to keep ahead of the new next best thing. i mean they dont make any disc that can (by manufacture specs) burn faster than 16x so why make a drive that can burn at 24x? make a 16x drive and make it the best possible and just mass produce that. the few seconds you gain going that fast on a burn isnt worth the quality loss.

got my own little scan of the hurt locker on these valuedisc from microcenter(cmc mag)
    [​IMG]

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Had I known that the LH-20A1H was going to last me this long, I would have probably bought their entire stock of them. They only had like 7 in their inventory at the time(Officemax).

Lite-on may have but one chance left with me. If my iHES108 BD-Rom does not make it at least 1 year(Regardless of usage), i'll be very unhappy. At this point, it doesn't see more than 1 BD disc a week. With the occasional dvd disc read. But i'm trying not to do that :p The darn thing was 100+ dollars!

It just impressed me yet again! One of the ugliest discs i've seen, and it read it without hitch! Granted it was single layer...

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, Newegg is going to replace my AD-7220s that won't burn at 8x, with an AD-7240s, as they no longer have any AD-7220s in stock and I don't think they make them anymore. From what I've read here, the AD-7240s seems to be a pretty good drive! They told me to throw the old one in the bin!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Some of them have some curious tray action. Act like they're jamming. But in my opinion, it's nothing to worry about. I have 2 7241S's counting my iHAS424 which is a rebranded 7241S. So far, they're good drives. At least for burning. I only rip/read with my lite-ons.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

been thinking about getting me a couple of them AD7240's maybe even a 7240 & 7241 have all optarics in my tower. well optarics by face name..lol
    got my new monitor today and put together. here is a link to its pick at the where are you sat? thread.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/208116/5001084

dont laugh at my junkyness.. its a little old..lol

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Russ and Rob

You won't be disappointed with an Optiarc AD 7240S. Love mine. In fact when I read Russ' post. I decided to update my fw to 1.03bt (liggy and dees). Here is the first burn of a copy on a 16X Verb +R.Not half bad. Jitter crazy and one crazy PIE at start., Yeah Omega I know it's a 95-but then almost all are! LOL

Burned @12X in NeroRecode

[​IMG]

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Good movie :)

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Yeah I enjoyed it also- had never heard of the movie.