1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So according to your link, that Plextor is actually a lite-on, by all respects except the Plextor name ;) I could be tempted to buy one, since it's possibly a true lite-on. If it were not expensive :p

In my opinion, Lite-on slapping their name on an inferior product, was a bad idea. I say inferior, because MOST burners burn TY's and Verbatims agreeably. But only a handful can read/rip REALLY well. I've trusted lite-on to read discs for some time now. I love my optiarcs to death for their longevity, and burning capabilities, but they do not read as well as my lite-on drives :p
    I imagine Roberts 7220S can read discs at least fairly well :) Probably similarly to an iHAS drive.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

TBH i havent tried the 7220S as a reader/ripper yet. well not to any exstint to really see how it works

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

AnyDVD 6609 handles SawVI easily

Burned on 7240S @8X scanned on 20A1S not too bad could be better but I'm sure it will play.

[​IMG]
    By null at 2010-01-26

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's pretty decent for the 7240/1S. I've found those burners like to burn at 12X and beyond. 12X is certainly MY happy medium LOL!

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Saw played flawlessly and a twisted movie it was. The TYs i have are 8X and I reluctant to burn them faster. The 16X verbs I'm burning @12X and 16X.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, the new AD-7240s came today, and as promised, I took the defective one apart. It is indeed an NEC! Says so right on the chip! I'll have to do some burning and scanning! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

This is a scan of a DVD burned on the 7240s at 12x and scanned at 4x on the 7220s.

[​IMG]

This is the same disk scanned on the 7240 at 8x. No 4x, only 5x on the 7240.

[​IMG]

Here's one burned on the 7220 and scanned on the 7240.

[​IMG]

The same disk scanned on the 7220.

[​IMG]

I really don't know what to make out of the differences, but they are all good scans! I'm going to re-burn The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian because I discovered a 1/4" hairline crack in the disk. I scanned the last two at 8x to keep things the same, since there is no 4x scan for the 7240s.

Stay tuned,
    Russ

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Russ

It seems the NEC Optiarcs are more forgiving in their scores than the Lite-Ons. You always got a higher grade with the easy teachers. LOL

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

garmoon,
    I did two more of Prince caspian burns, one with a Ritek F-16 +R and another with a -R Verb. The quality of both disks varies so much from disk to disk in the same package, you can scratch the +R F-16s from my list as well as the -R Verbs. The quality is horrible! With the Verbs, maybe 2 out of 10 are any good, and with the Riteks, it's about half and half. I'll be happy to give TYs a try as soon as I can order more DVDs!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817294005

I've been told that these are very good!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Russ

I agree with what you said about the ritek F16s up to a point. I've been using these from Office depot for give aways since they changed the OD brand to F16s and then just adopted TDK F16s as their own. They DON'T scan very well BUT they play at almost 100% rate. I've given my daughter at least 200 in the past 2 years and she has complained about only 1 disc.

Also I burn only +Rs cause I booktype all. The TY X8 +Rs are great media and I still have about 95 left. And will get more of same when these run out. Your optiarc will especially burn the +R MCC 004 16X Verbs well at 12X as Omegaman7 says. Scans are fun chasing that elusive 98 or impossible 100, but playability and copyablity(sic) are the hallmarks of a great burn in MHO.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

garmoon,
    The -R Verbs were a mistake on my part. I accidentally ordered the wrong DVDs! LOL!! I just ordered from the link in my last post, 100 -R 8x Yudens! Yes, both Optiarcs do a wonderful job using the +R 16x Taiwanese Verbs. You are right, 12x is the best burn speed on my Optiarcs, using them.

Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

8X TY-R's(TYG02) are friggin awesome. They're almost as good as Yuden T02 +R's :) Which also burn very well at 12X on the optiarcs. Optiarcs do very well at 12X. My LH-20A1S is also doing pretty well at 12X. I don't make my LH-20A1H do 12X anymore though. It's getting old. 8X seems to be its happy medium. Shame about the SH-S223Q Samsungs. They were even better at 16X. Unfortunately, they were beginning to show signs of failure. High jitter, incompatibility issues, Etc. Samsung is good with a lot of things, but perhaps they need to stay out of the optical drive market. I've read about all sorts of issues with their drives. Perhaps I'll still buy their Dvd-Rom drives though...

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ah hah! Not bad for 16X eh. Would have been the best I've seen, but the ending got kind of rough LOL! Before the really green area, it only had 175 failures, which is extremely rare for these discs.
    [​IMG]

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Russ
    when scanning with the 7240 use the 5x speed. it is like useing the 4x on the liteon. gives a more accurate scan i think. it is like the 7200s it has the 5x also that is what i use.
    as for disc those 8x-r TY's are awesome. but here is a better deal for them at super media store. with free shipping. they have the premium for 29.99 and the valueline which i along with alot of others here get regularly for 24.75 both free shipping. which is a good deal...
    http://www.supermediastore.com/cate...AIYO+YUDEN&filter=Quantity=100+Pack|Speed=8X|

i havent looked at meritline yet but the have had the best deal on them 200 for $39 shipped. i think it was when i got my last 200 of them

EDIT:
    meritline leads the pack.
    the 100ct is only pennies different but for 200 of them it is $42 shipped. i beleive i just hit the buy button myself..lol
    http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-media-silver-lacquer---p-18384.aspx

i am a little worried about this merger with JVC. not sure what we will be getting in quality anymore. is it just a name change or is JVC and TY going to be making their own disc each and useing the JVC name and you wont know what you get when ordering???

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  15. greensman

greensman Regular member

RObert... looky here... :)

Rosewill case with potential!! :) linky

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Nice linky GM. Very tempting for me too. I could store 9 ODD's in there :D And a very affordable price!

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOL... I went to the EGG and was just browsing around and found the "advanced" thingy to let you pick how many external ODD's... it's amazing how many there actually are for OVER 6 ODD"s. ;) Some nice cases but I think that RObert needs one that is WIDER to handle his 'heat sink'. ;)

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Not what I was hoping for, but I suppose it could be worse. I'm sure it'll play fine. Little comparison of TY to Verbatim :)
    [​IMG]

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just got 'em in people. ;) I'll post a scan as soon as I can... doing some burning and then some scanning!! ;)

Here's a sample... go to the Blank Media thread for some more. ;)

[​IMG]

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

First burn with this set of TY T03's. ;) [sorry.. JVC TY's!!]

burner: Optiarc AD-7200S @ 8X
    engine: Nero Express 6.6.0.18
    scanner: Liteon LH-20A1S
    Nero DVD/CD Speed 4.7.7.16

[​IMG]

NOT a bad burn but NOT what I was thinking it would be... I'll definitely burn some more and see what happens.. the first was at 8x and I'll see about 12X and more. ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010