1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I love how some people say these scans are meaningless. And then something like this comes along. Granted, it probably plays fine. But it does raise the question, what happened? Well I'll tell you what happened.
    Are we scanning for burned quality? Or are we scanning for Dye quality? Well...at this point, given my burners track records, I guess I'm checking the Dye's integrity for longevity. Because with areas like the nasty one within this scan, I would be concerned about the disc lasting. If the area in question were to get scratched, it would no doubt compromise a Lasers ability to interpret the recorded information.
    Now I'm not saying that every disc should be scanned in this fashion, I'm simply suggesting that people need to be aware of certain types of flaws, which cause burn scores like this. It's fairly easily seen once the disc has been burned. Unfortunately, these flaws do not make themselves known, until the dye has been subjected to the recording laser. At least there are no known methods that I'm aware of :p

Congratulations verbatim. This is the worst dye produced by you, that i've ever seen. I suppose you're entitled though ♥♥♥

LH20A1S 12X Imgburn. And the CRC check passed with flying colors. Though the LH-20A1H will read some freakishly bad discs :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOL @ Oman7.... ;) I'm sure that's NOT the worst disc that you've ever burned. :p It is a little concerning considering the media but I would keep buying them until they really are NOT worth buying. :)

I think these TY T03 discs are pretty good... kicking your MCC 004 discs arse for sure!!! :p

[​IMG]

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha! Gotta love Taiyo Yuden ♥♥♥

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, this ones much better anyway. I wish TY made branded medias. I like the verbatims, because they give me an area to write on with a sharpie. Plus they are generally trustworthy LOL! I'd certainly buy their media before most others. I only buy the printable media for projects, and are too spendy to waste on myself LOL!
    [​IMG]

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's one I burned, just the other day. Been a long time since I got a 93% score! I'm sorta used to those 95s.

[​IMG]

Still, fairly low on PIEs and low on PIFs! Decent enough burn at 12x with the new Verbs. Doesn't give any problems playing!

Here's another I burned with one of the new Verb's! Burned on the 7240 and scanned on the 7240.

[​IMG]

It seems to be breaking in as it scans much better now than when it was new. Probably burned 50 or so with it. Not bad!

Russ

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Good burns Russ. ;) OR scans I mean. LOL.

Here is a little 12x burn on MCC 003 media with a iHAS120 Liteon, not great but not bad considering the 5 point spikes. lol. ;)

[​IMG]

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a Dual Layer Burn. Courtesy of the LH-20A1S @ 4X. Not too shabby :) Certainly worthy of archival ;)
    [​IMG]

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

here is one i did late lastnight. on the newer 16x+r verbs ifi keep getting scans like these i will no longer look for the MIT verbs it will be these.
    made in the Arab Emirates. the dye on these seem to be more on par with the old MIT's
    [​IMG]

that is actually a sweet scan. if it was scanned on a litey it would most def be a 98..lol

EDIT:
    just did this one. same media different drive.. i should also have my new premium Jvc/TY's 8x-r's today. coming fedex so i might get a burn in before i leave for work.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

This looks like one of Oman7's MCC 004 discs... lol. :p

media: CMC MAG AM3 (bloody Memorex...lol)
    burner: AD-7200S
    engine: IMGBURN @ 8X

[​IMG]

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I suppose it is very similar ;)

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well Dang, looky here!

[​IMG]

This is one of the Arab Emirates Verbs, burned at 12x. As near as I can figure, the old Verbs from a year or more back were just like these. They like some speed in their burns, IMO!

I figured that you would never need more than 2x anyway, so I scanned it at 2x. I have an old P-III Dell laptop and it's got a fat 2x DVD Burner in it, and it plays fine.

Here's the same DVD, but read at 4x.

[​IMG]

Not a bad scan at all, but to my way of thinking this tells me that the Data is mostly there, intact, and readable. The drive just needs enough time to read it. Since the drive rarely goes faster than 2x when playing a movie anyway, it should be a pretty good indicator of the DVD Dye's integrity, and a good indicator of whether it will play on stand alone's, without problems. Besides, I have to say something! Hey, it's a 98!!! They don't come very often at any speed! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

But the two scans show the fault in the whole scanning process. Pick your speed pick your score. It's a fun game, no more!

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well someone finally listens to me...lol i said years back that the best speed to do the QC check is at 2x. why? cause at 2x is all any standalone player will read a disc it wont read them any faster. but when you use 2x speed to check the disc it takes 10x longer...lol plus without a litey your not gonna be able to read/scan one at 2x. i just did this one here on the 16x+r verb not to bad. love the gaps inbetween the PIF's thats nice.

[​IMG]

i will scan this same disc at 2x and see what i get.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

its not that its a FAULT, it is just reading the disc slower more real time speeds. it will also do just the opposite as Russ's scan if there is anything bad with the BURN it will show more errors as well.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

[​IMG]

same disc above scanned at 2x about 5000 less PIE's but more PIF's still alot of space on this disc without a error..lol

16. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Rob

But I have scans that are 72 PIFs and 1500 PIFs that are both given the same basic 95 score. I agree it will give you an idea of how good the burn is, but let's face it, when was the last time one of your burns DIDN'T play? I can't remember. We all use top notch media and most are using same burners even.

How can your burn of the 97 above, with a 5 PIF spike receive that mark. When a 2 on a different ODD will be no better than a 95.

I'm not trying to rile any feathers; just pointing out my feelings on the subject. It's fun. I do have one question tho. Does multitasking on the pc, while a scan is being performed, affect the scan??? :p LOL

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I doubt that very seriously...

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

moony
    95 on one drive and 97 on another is because the 2 different drives read differently. the 7220s has a mediatek chip in it which is a litey and the 7240 has a nec chipset they read different.
    personally i think multi tasking while burning does make a difference. but some say it dont matter.??? technally it dont know for sure???

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Multitasking while scanning is no big deal, Multitasking while burning...It's questionable. Depends on the configuration. Multi drives are wonderful. If you're burning from your OS drive, or your OS's drive is simply experiencing cache load, then you'll incur buffer underrun. Most modern if not all modern drives, are equipped to deal with this. Some probably better than others ;)
    Myself, I prefer to burn from a de-fragmented storage drive :D

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a dual layer burn done by the 7200S at 4X. Shot too Nabby LOL!
    [​IMG]