1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Oman7:

I would more likely suspect your standalone(s) if that was where the stuttering was occuring, especially if you have recently 'upgraded' your firmware on them. What is the make, model(s) and firmware viersion of them?

Atak has done a good job with Ripbot and I haven't had problems with it that weren't disclosed with a stopage. The only thing I wish he was able to incorporate would be the ability to select mutiple audio streams. If you have figured it out, let me know as I haven't.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oman7:

I would more likely suspect your standalone(s) if that was where the stuttering was occuring, especially if you have recently 'upgraded' your firmware on them. What is the make, model(s) and firmware viersion of them?

Atak has done a good job with Ripbot and I haven't had problems with it that weren't disclosed with a stopage. The only thing I wish he was able to incorporate would be the ability to select mutiple audio streams. If you have figured it out, let me know as I haven't.[/quote]

It was the BD player. Sorry falcon. I sincerely apologize. My LH-20A1S DID NOT stick its nose up at it. While the BD player likes the Verbatim discs, something about the Falcon media Dyes, is different enough to effect playback in the "Samsung BD-P1590". I forgot to mention though, it seemed to adapt. It was early on in playback. It stopped doing it after a couple stutters. So it must have adapted somehow. I sure would hate to have other people experience this though. I guess I can use them for myself though. No biggie ;)

I didn't offend Ripbot :p I totally LOVE ripbot. Its the best BD encoder I've used. It's the ONLY bd encoder I've used LOL! I plan to give Megui another shot though too. As well as others.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

[​IMG]

just did this one on the E8400 rig with the generic litey. the DH22A9P

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Someone commented on the 98 I had, not too long ago. They said something like "pick your scan speed, pick your score". Here's a typical 95, burned on the 7240 at 12x and scanned on the 7220 at 2x. You might be able to pick your score to a degree, but as you can see by this scan, that getting 98s is still something that doesn't happen very often. I've done 50 or more scans since then, but haven't seen another 98!

[​IMG]

The 7220 seems to be a pretty good reader, and not a bad burner at all. Not quite as good as the 7240, but good enough.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's my thoughts exactly. Lite-on drives(7220) are excellent readers, but aren't always excellent burners. I do trust them to burn though ;) But I treat them MORE like my best readers :) True Optiarcs are excellent burners :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Russ that would be I that said: pick your speed, pick you score. That 2X scan above would not be as pretty scanned at 16X. The scan above is great and should be a 98. You should be able to get a 98 if you have 2or 3 -2peak PIF and 20 -1peak PIF. But a scan with 800 1 peak PIF gets that 98.-UNFAIR. LOL

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

garmoon,
    That's very true, but the slower speed is more representative of actual performance than scanning at 4x or 8x, since the drive doesn't go over 2x when playing DVDs. Personally I don't even care about the scores that much to begin with, but you can get a much better idea of how good a burn is at 2x. I've had some of the Yuden 8x -Rs with big red spikes in the PIFs, and they don't look any better at 2x. I don't see anything unfair about 2x scans at all. It doesn't improve the very bad PIFs, and is much more representative of the actual burn quality.

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I was refer the unfair to 800PIF getting the 98 and not the one with some 2 and few 1s getting a 95.

Question: Does anyone think that they could tell the difference from a 100 scan and say an 84 on an HD screen??
    All mine play and look the same. 95s thru 85! LOL Maybe even down to a 70.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I would say that the score really means nothing to me. But then, it does depend on the device playing back the disc. My LH-20A1S/H could probably playback dvds with scores of 50, without hiccup. That's no joke. At least if they're TYG03 discs ;) They seem to be able to handle high failures :D

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Garmoon & Oman7,
    Here's the thing. The test sets the parameters, depending on the drive. If you exceed the limits of those parameters even once, that's the way they are scored. It's just Nero's penalty. I don't agree with their scoring methods at all, but I didn't write the software. You could say the same thing for LiteOn vs NEC based Optiarcs. More apparent errors for the NEC/Optiarc but better scores. The thing is, that because of the differences in how drives read, there's no really fair way to judge the quality from one type of drive to another. One thing I will say is that there is no way to hide any serious errors by scanning at 2x! They still look just as bad!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's a randomly chosen 8x -R Yuden, burned at 8x and scanned at 4x. It will play OK, but this is not what I'm accustomed to seeing with Yudens.

[​IMG]

For those that think the 2x speed is the 'Magic" key to better scores, here's the same DVD scanned at 2x. The DVD was never out of the drive. It wasn't even ejected after the burn, so it can't be dust or anything like that. Again a 95, but with more than twice the PIFs!

[​IMG]

It will play all right, but I never used to see PIFs like that until recent months. I chose this particular DVD to burn because it's the one I copied when I got my last 98. I'll have to see how the new ones Yuden is sending me do. Hopefully this was just a bad batch of DVDs.

In case anyone is wondering, these Yudens don't do too well on the 7240s either! Scanned at 5x, because it doesn't go any slower.

[​IMG]

I don't think the NEC likes these Yudens!

Russ

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

see i think just the opposite i think the 7220 is way better than the 7240 as far as burning goes. for me i have yet to get a burn from the 7240 i would brag about. but like you said they both do a good job and have not had any playback issues.from any drive.

lol funny thing how everyone looks and feels about the same drive we all have.. i think my best reader is the AD7200S that thing will read anything and has read alot of things even my 20A1S couldnt when i had one. and stuff the 7220 couldnt as well.

in my eyes all this rebadgeing has killed the names of each drive maker. a true litey is awsome in its own way as isa TRUE optaric/nec drive is awsome in its own way. but taking parts from one and adding it to the other just dont go over to well i think. yea they are good drives but not as good as the orginals.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well all this talk about the AD7220S and i think mine has died. it wont burn anything it will get to writing leadin and hangs there. ive tried different burning apps same type of issue. tried cds and dvds. thought maybe its a bad sata cable. swapped it out with a new one. same issue. even swapped out a cable from a drive that is working. damn these drives. the only thing i havent tried is pluging it into another sata port. which is next.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

what the hell is wrong with the site??? i cant log in then i can. once im in everythign looks like its layered on top of itself.

anyhow. thought i would try one more burn for giggles before swapping out to another port. well burnt fine this time???? dont know whats to think., this same type thing happened to my DH-20A4P

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

I don't think it's the site buddy... I think it's your computer.. hehehe. :p

Your computer is doing some weird things btw. So your DH-20A4P died the same way or it did some strange things then worked ok?? I can't remember. :(

Hope you get it figured out buddy. ;)

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

like right now i clicked on the reply to this post to quote you, and there is the reply box ontop of another reply box. since this new format of the site it has been shitty. i cant even sign in from work i can see all threads but cant respond cause i cant login. i can put my name and password in but when i hit enter nothing and i lose everything i typed in.

as for the 20A4p it did the same sort of thing but was different. it is funny how both are doing the same sort of thing cause this drive i just burnt a disc on, i got a really nice scan with it. i dont know?? here is the scan of the drive in question.
    [​IMG]

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

i got the new Yudens this morning. Here's the first burn on the AD-7220

[​IMG]

That looks a lot more like what I'm used to! Having said that, the AD-7220s just died! Tried a new data cable and everything. Put a DVD in it and the green light comes on and stays on. No sounds from the drive at all! Only the tray will open and close. That's the extent of it's capabilities!

I just bought a pair of these Lite-On 24X iHAS124 drives for $47.61, delivered, for the pair!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0-Index-_-CDDVDBurnersRWDrives-_-27106289-L0G

That's what I get for getting the AD-7220, after being advised to pass on it by the fine folks here at AD! LOL!!

Russ

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im looking at 2 of those also russ.did you use the promo code for them? $21.99 each shipped

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

So what you saying your not gonna give another Optiarc drive a chance again? Like this 1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Yup I used it. There's $3.63 in sales tax. That's why it's $47.61 for 2!

Russ