1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Come to find out poping the top on one of my LG's (GH22NS30) in has a Panasonic chip and now just popped to on the other(GH22NP20)< this one here the best out of the two the NP it burns better to bad they don't scan now LG and Panasonic is in the bed together. But. I like my LG's even if they don't scan Lifes Good,lol. I liked my Old,Old Zenith's TV's floor models now there Magnavox oop's sorry Philips/Magnavox with zenith written in small words Maybe LG should have written LG/Panasonic on the front of these drives cause. I did'nt until.I open these to found out, Ok now TDK should make a ODD, So anyway. I believe my iHAS324-08 A is a true lite as well I've flashed it to the BLC1 f/w Burned real good but no jitter test did'nt run so.I just Flashed it back to the original BL1P,What we gonna do Blank media is changing and ODD are changing alot of Merging Companies out there name one JVC and Taiyo Yunden are mixing up there brands we are at a lost pretty soon due to the economy change nothing will be original no more. I guess we gotta hold on to are classics and see how far they will take us like the old model T...

my 2 LG's
    [​IMG]

panasonic chip
    [​IMG]

Thanks Russ you got me Popping tops on everything now like a can opener to see what's inside.LOL

oop's my bad TDK do make burners
    http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/tdk-indi-dvd-420n.htm

in the bed together.lol read the cnet editors' review

http://reviews.cnet.com/dvd-drives/8x-4x-12x-dvd/4505-3212_7-30603325.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
  2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

My first X4 DVD burner was a tdk. Nice burner had no trouble with.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    You do realize that Cnet thing is 6 years old, don't you? It says 2004! LOL!! My first burner was an Opti 12x. It had a special mode for writable CDs that allowed them to store over a Gigabyte on them. Only problem is they could only be played on that drive. I still have a couple of those floating around, that I can't read! LOL!!

Russ

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Just using that as a example Russ(uses the same underlying hardware)Example Toyota/Lexus.lol but the similarly solid performance is all not the same in some parts quality and durability what counts:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well... I've got good news and bad news. The Asus DRW-2014L1T is not the LiteOn drive I was expecting. That's the bad news. The good news is that I took a DVD I burned with it over to a friend's who has one of the good LiteOns and it seems to burn very well, so I will be keeping it. It's extremely quiet and super vibration free. It also burns much faster than the AD-7240, which was kind of slow at any speed. It also sets Book-Typing automatically when it's installed.

I'm going to take Greensman's suggestion and buy an Asus DRW-24B1LT for my second drive and retire the AD-7240, permanently, to the bin! LOL!! It has been a very funny drive since I first installed it, and always has exhibited tray problems from day one, and burns are maddeningly inconsistent, by a ratio of about 1 good burn out of about every 6 to 8, using good media.

Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a new batch of Verbatim +R 004's. This batch originated in Taiwan, where as my last batch was from United Arab Emir. Those discs scan extremely good. While this scan doesn't look as pretty, Taiwan has good plant/s. I'll not worry about this batch ;)

Something funny happened the other day. I was ripping my TrueBlood season discs to my hard drive, and 2 of them were quite stubborn. I came to the conclusion that they were either badly pressed, or the dyes had imperfections. NONE of my lite-ons would/could read beyond 30%. Protection/encryption did not seem to be the issue. Because the 7200S was able to rip them! It slowed down to a rate I've never seen a drive go! I'm talking slower than a crawl. I don't believe that the 7200S ignores read errors. I've had it attempt to read discs in the past, that it could not read. I find it interesting that it could show a lite-on drive up! Looks like I've grossly underestimated NEC once again. The 7200S just earned a Butt load of respect from me LOL! :D

7200S 12X
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Funny you should mention that! It took me 17 minutes to burn a DVD at 12x last night, and my computer has been "Mystery" Blue Screening for weeks, without any reason found for it! No Rhyme or Reason to it, just random!

Open My Computer, C drive, Windows, System 32, Drivers and look for SPTD.sys. I'm betting it's there! I discovered it quite by accident when I installed ImgBurn. I got an error message about SPTD being enabled and was a problem, specifically drive speed problems. Some known programs like Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools put it in if their programs are not legit. It slowed my burn to a fixed 3.2x. I've had it with Alcohol 120% anyway, so I deleted SPTD.sys and removed Alcohol 120%. I ran Registry crawler, searching for Alcohol and removed everything it brought up, ran Malwarebytes and did a virus scan on the C drive. Re-booted and the problem was solved. From now on I'll make my ISOs and burn them to disk with Nero burning Rom 8 from now on!

Google SPTD.sys, if you think I'm kidding. I burned the same DVD again, and it took 6:05 on a 16x Verb -R at 12x. Works like a charm and no mystery re-boots or BSODs either!

Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I haven't used alcohol in a long time. Or daemon tools for that matter. I use virtual clone drive. Suits my needs wonderfully. I prefer imgburn for burning my iso's and dvd folders. But Nero has an excellent engine as well ;)

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I used to use Alcohol because it took a lot less time than ImgBurn. Did you check for the SPTD.sys in the drivers?

Russ

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That file is not located on my system :p

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

That's a good thing! LOL!! I also uninstalled both my ODDs and rebooted! I just thought it would be a good idea. They both work fine now!

Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You still running XP russ? I find 7 to be substantially smoother all around. Don't get me wrong, its far from perfect ;) But given time, it will be molded into one of the best OS's M$ has ever created.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Just hooked my 7241S back up. Here's the first burn its seen in months. And even then, I think it only ever saw maybe 20-50 discs. Substantially less than my other drives.
    Certainly not the prettiest scan I've seen LOL! But given the TYG03's track record, I'm sure this disc is fine, and playable. I've seen MUCH higher failures that were playable ;)
    12X 7241S(not to be confused with iHAS424)
    [​IMG]

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

This is what drives me crazy. This is from the same batch as those real bad scans I posted the other day. Certainly not up to the standards I expect from Verbs. Burned on the Asus DRW-2014 at 8x and scanned at 4x. I'm going to call Verbatim tomorrow and ask them to replace these. There is definitely something wrong with the dyes, because even with magnification, you can't see any bad spots or different shading to the Dye. After you burn them you can see rings on the bad ones. This burn has no rings at all!

[​IMG]

I don't understand the high PIEs at the very end either.

Russ

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've had discs that acted like that. I attributed the flaw to the dyes ;)

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's another test of the 7241S. Its buffer has been acting somewhat erratic. More so than the 7200S. I realize this is typical of the Optiarcs, but this one is a bit different to say the least ;)
    Not looking too shabby.
    12X United Arab Emir batch:
    [​IMG]

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

HOF any day there Oman7!! Keep em coming!!

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! The next one is not a HOF!
    12X iHAS424(7241S) The dye has a curious imperfection to which I have never seen a Genuine TY exhibit! Only The JVC discs. This batch has had 3 of them... I immediately through those away. But I may just allow this one to squeeze through the cracks LOL!
    [​IMG]

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's what the disc looks like, from the last scan. The white line is an example of the imperfections direction, throughout the entire disc. Very faint marks. But enough to cause high failures. CRC/Surface scan passed 100% :)

I think they are stress marks from the pressing process. There is a triangular knotch, and an imperfection running inline from that mark.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Select the C1/C2-PI/PO Test, instead of the Read Test. It will give you a good picture of how good the surface of the DVD or CD is. The Read Test doesn't do very much at all. I've never seen one that wasn't all green.

Russ