1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

This would be my choice because it can use both e-Sata and USB 2.0, unless you have the need for more than one drive. Not terribly expensive either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=docking_station_sata-_-17-153-071-_-Product

Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Damn russ, that one looks good! Thanks man. I believe that one can count on my purchasing it :)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

You're most welcome. I looked through a bunch of them, and this appears to be the most sold. I like the flexibility of both USB and eSata, and the reviews are very good! reasonably priced as well! Very high Verified Ownership rate too!

Russ

4. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

@Omegaman7, carried from Blank Media Thread:
    Okay, in all honesty, I don't know what I'm looking at when I look at the scans. What is it reading? You looked at the first one and knew it either couldn't play or wasn't accurate. Can you tell me what you saw in the scan, that told you that? Here they are again, same DVD, scanned in different drives. Anyone else want to hop in, here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clearly the Optiarc sucks. I wonder if it burns okay. Maybe I should 'test' it with the same ISO, to compare.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Not all optiarcs are junk, keep that in mind. I research any optiarc I buy. To insure I get a good one(NEC Chipped). I almost bought a 7220S, but heard it was a rebadged lite-on. I'm not very happy with lite-on at the moment. They seem to keep failing me. I only employ one now. The LH-20A1S. It's proven to be a good scanning drive.

Any disc I've scanned with Significant failures, was incapable of being played/copied. That's how I can look at your scan, and cringe. What I obviously didn't think about, was that the scanning drive could have an issue. It must to show significant failures, that don't apparently exist. Because if another drive can play it back perfectly, and show it to be far more respectable, I'd question the scanning drive. It is also why Lite-on drives and BenQ drives are preferred for scanning. You just don't know what to expect with other drives. They really should however be in the general ball park on the results.

6. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

No, no, you mistook my meaning. I meant that MINE sucks. It's been acting up for awhile.
    I guess what I'm saying is, what on the chart says failures? The spikes? The overall height of the vertical lines? More than a certain number in the PI Failures box? Am I aiming for low profiles?
    For that matter, how good or bad was the 2nd scan? It looks a lot busier than yours did. But I don't see any info in the jitter box.
    Now that I think about it, any scan I ever do is only as correct as the drive I scan it on, so I'll never be sure if it's accurate.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, as others have said. Scanning is all good and fun, but not really necessary. If it plays well, and copies well, then there's no need to scan it.

I'm simply curious sometimes. The only way to be sure of an accurate scan, is to cross compare the disc to multiple burners. Scan it on one drive than another, and maybe another still.

The second scan is wayyy within safety standard. YOu can have single spikes as high as 25(Sometimes higher), but you do not want multiple mountainlike failures. The Verbatim -R is an agreeable media. Taiyo Yuden 16X -R's discs/scans are little better. Taiyo Yuden +R discs scan even better still. The recording dye's are simply better period.

Scanning can be a good way to know when a burner is failing too. I had a Sony DRU820 drive that began causing failures that would gradually climb toward the end of the scan. WHile the media was still playable, I could tell that it was progressively getting worse. So you see, scanning does have its uses :p

8. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

O-man
    Good to know. Thanks for the advice. I recently got (DVD-R) TYs on your recommendation, and shortly will be burning some to see how well they do. They were the value line, and I was hesitant. They scanned as TYG03, though, so I'm dying to find out how they do. Next time I'm gonna get the TY +Rs, and try them.
    Say, do you recall and can you send me in the right direction- somewhere recently (and I thought it was back in the "Blank Media Sales" forum, but I can't find it anywhere) someone referred to a software that would permit you to put 2 different ISO files on the same disc. Does that ring a bell at all? Any idea where that was or what it was, what thread should I be in, or how I could find it? I should have bookmarked it, but didn't.I've poked around a bit.
    Here's what I'm trying to do: I have a set of DL DVDs that each hold 3 separate presentations. Two will fit on a regular DVD reasonably without over-shrinking them, but I'm trying to get the oddball 3rd presentation from each one put together in pairs on another DVD. I can use DVDShrink to get the first 2, but then every disc has one more to snag. I figure I can make a separate ISO of each oddball, but then I don't know how to get a pair of them onto a single DVD.
    Or is making ISOs not the way to go.....?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nero may be the program... it has those capabilities iirc. ;)

You should be able to add the 3 files to Shrink and then "convert" the file to your desired size. :)

If I read correctly the lappy drive you are using isn't that well known for scanning or writing. :( NOT 100% on that but hey it's skeptical to me. :p

I'd find a good external and see how that goes... I use a 24A1P but those aren't available any longer... that's my external... I have MANY other drives but none are as "easy" on discs/scans as the 24A1P... lol.

Good luck....

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If I'm understanding you correctly, Shrink can do what you want it to. Nero Vision is good too. Others may not think so, but I think it has its uses. If i'm not mistaken the creator of Shrink went to work for Nero a while back.

I would definitely ditch the so called Optiarc you have. It's not getting very good reviews. More trouble than it's worth. It definitely pays to research a drive before you buy one ;)

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Oman remember the drive bluesbabe is talking about is in a laptop or external ODD.

@bluesbabe.... It's easy enough to replace an internal ODD but in a laptop sometimes the choices are very narrow. I would definitely look at an external ODD for convenience and possible reliability!! If u want a reader/scanner Lite-on or Optiarc will work but for a writer I like LG or NEC Optiarc drives. Your choice in the end but consider a change in the near future for mOre stable burns and "prettier" scans! ;-)

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, I know. GM's probably right. An external drive may just be the right direction for you.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

from past experiences with HP drives/burners, get rid of them..lol i had 2 and were the worst burners/drives i ever had. wouldnt burn worth a crap and wouldnt scan anything worth looking at.

with that being said. what to look at in a scan is like a numbers game, the lower the numbers on it the better(except for the overall quality score) your PIE(top half of the scan) i think the standard is anything under 280 as a MAX spike should render a readable disc, but i wouldnt rely on one that had 279.lol and i think the PIF which is the total failure count if i remember correct the standard for that should be under 4. yes you can have a single spike go over each of these but multiple spikes is death to the disc.

here i found this on the so called standard for disc quality

now on another note. i firmly believe now that windows 7 isn't ment for burning disc compared to XP. ive burnt these same disc on both OS and XP does a way better job. this scan here is on XP seeing im using that OS cause my HDD with W7 has a virus on it(thats another issue) this same disc scanned/burned on W7 has 3x these numbers for this brand disc.
    [​IMG]

and here is the same media/disc burnt on XP same burner same speed. big difference.
    [​IMG]

this scan has nothing to do with the above topic just a random scan i picked to show a good scan with GOOD media. shame i dont have this drive any more..lol

[​IMG]

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

dang havent and a quality post like that in some time..lol found a few more on that AD7200A drive. this might be my best scan ever, overall numbers that is.

[​IMG]

GM how you been? where you been? ive tried calling a few times, you must be asleep???lmao

15. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

Thanks. But what is iirc?
    Yes, I know shrinking is an option, and usually that's what I'd do, but on this particular project I want to retain absolutely optimum quality. It's possible I didn't experiment as fully as I should have. I'll give it another go.

@ everyone else- Wow, thanks for the wealth of info. RE my onboard laptop drive, though, it's been acting up for awhile, now. I have to have something to take with me on the road, no matter how good an external one I have. So, I'm gonna have to deal with a replacement one way or another. The current one is still covered by Dell : ( so I'll start by getting it replaced free, try it out, and go from there. I'm guessing I'll be shopping for one.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

IIRC = If I recall correctly.

What you could do, is use shrink to output to lossless quality, then have rebuilder do the encoding. Should be near lossless.

17. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

Is there somewhere I can find out how to do that? I use shrink a lot, but always in a pretty straightforward way. (open disc, re-author eliminating extras, shrink to fit.)

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Edit, preferences, DVD-9 output.

19. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

I don't do DL DVDs..... That's why I'm looking for alternatives.....

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Man, I'm saying output to full dvd 9 so you can reauthor that with rebuilder. That way your result is near lossless ;)