1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

By that you mean DVD Rebuilder?
    I will experiment.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

See, if your current video is in Dvd compliance (.VOB, IFO, BUP), and you output to dvd 9, there will be no compression. Despite some people calling Dvd shrink dirty. If video does not require compression, the video is left untouched. I don't know where they come off saying Shrink is dirty no matter what. That's completely ridiculous, and unwarranted.

Yes, Dvd rebuilder is the shiznit! :D I use BD rebuilder as well. Awesome software.

3. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

BTW, about Shrink being "dirty" what's that mean? And WARNING: I get mighty confused when I start looking at vob, ifo, and bup files. I only deal with ISOs.

OK, this isn't looking good. I couldn't even get Shrink to work, after a mammoth MS update (22 downloads that nearly choked my laptop) so I uninstalled and reinstalled, and now at least that's working. I figured out what you meant, by output to dvd9, or at least, I found where it is. Never used it, don't know how, but I can read up on it. Then I looked for the DVD Rebuilder download, but in a discussion of DVD-Rebuilder v0.98.2 I see that it clearly says it can't put 2 movies on one disc, and I think that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Sort of.

Maybe I didn't explain it well- let me try again. I have a set of DL DVDs. Each one has 3 complete separate episodes on it. I could shrink but I'd rather not- TWO will fit a single without compression, but not all 3. If I backup the first 2, I have one left over. If I do the same on the next disc, I have one left over on the 2nd one, too. The challenge is how to pair up the first oddball with the second oddball.

If all else fails, I can alwaysjust put each on a separate disc, and waste half the space. But I like to learn best practices, and it would be handy to be able to do this, if it's possible.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

These episodes, how long are they?

5. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

'bout an hour. Each one is 1,789MB, so 2 fit a regular DVD quite comfortably.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

3hrs is easily done for a standard dvd-5. I've gone over 4hrs, with likeable quality. BUt on a 50" plasma, you're gonna start to notice quality loss ;)

I'll be posting scans tonight. Unfortunately I have to leave for work :(

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Ok... are these things already compressed?? IF not then "loosing" 600MB isn't gonna be that big of a deal. ;)

Of course if this is a "pressed" DVD then backing it/them up with DVD RB is a snap.. You're talking 12%-13% compression... with DVD RB that's nothing.. but you better have a good computer.... if not it'll take a few hours of hard labor. ;) With a decent computer you're talking less than an hour. ;)

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My quad does it in about 20 - 30 minutes 3 passes :p

By the way, when I said "people call Dvd Shrink Dirty", I meant they think its code is dirty. I suppose in some ways it is. Somtimes Dvd rebuilder doesn't like transcoded files that were produced by Shrink. But I firmly believe, that when no compression is needed, it does not effect the video quality. Its an excellent quick way to strip out video titles from a dvd, without effecting the video quality ;)

Was gonna redo this backup, and discovered that the video was doing something rather odd. I guess I can see why now :S This is exactly why I no longer store my discs in a book. I got sick of the pockets scratching/scuffing the discs up. Envelopes for me now :D Although most of my dvds are archived on Hard drive now. Blu rays however, Take up an insane amount of space. I prefer those stay on optical disks for the time being.

Scanned by my 7200S and my LH-20A1S Lite-on. Both have proven themselves excellent readers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

I'm rapidly losing faith in these scans. I scanned my first Dual Layer DVD yesterday and had over 6.8 million PIEs and over 8600 PIFs, and got a score of 77! So far I've watched the flick on two computers and a stand alone player, without a single glitch!

Russ

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Depends on how you interpret the scans :p

Besides, a score of 77 should be generally fine, depending on the media. Verbatims are good. TY's are good. Maxell's are not...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Me rests my case! LOL

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

scans are fun to do from time to time seeing where your at with the blank media you're using and how you're ODDs are holding up. other than that i don't have time to do many of them if i want a life.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, the software was created for fun. What was I thinking...

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Anybody remember when the preferred Verbs were the ones made in Taiwan? Here's a scan made from the latest Made in Taiwan +R verbs. Burned at 12x, scanned at 8x

Scan

[​IMG]

Surface Scan

[​IMG]

I tried a few different disks from various levels of the spindle, and in a word, they Suck! Far worse than the UAE disks. Even stranger yet is the surface scan comes out perfect and they play in all 3 drives and the standalone perfectly! I get the same results burning with the Asus drive, and the Optiarc in Oxi!

Update! Scan UAE +R burned at 12x scanned at 8x same drive!

[​IMG]

Not great, but far better than the other one!

Russ

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ I still buy the occasional Verbie but that's the reason I went 75% TY... I know that some have had issues with TY but they are few and far between. lol.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,

I'm sending them back. Every DVD I've tried so far has the same defect in the same place, regardless of what I burn them with. I can't see anything on the disk with my 5x eyes on. The UAE DVDs look so much better as do the DLs, all Verbatims. This stuff is plain crap. I'm sending the bad ones I burned with them! I even tried different burning software, and they still come out like that!

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Every UAE disc I've scanned looks good. Taiwan is always agreeable though. You probably got a bad batch then eh? I've had batches, that consistently had errors/failures in the exact same place.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

That's what I am figuring. I burned 5 total, from different parts of the stack, and all had the same identical problems. I'll call Newegg on Monday and have them replaced!

Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Supposedly, the creator of Nero Disc speed, has created the following scan software. It is no longer freeware. Unfortunate.

I've been reading reviews, that the RITEK-BR2-00 discs(Like below) are not lasting more than 6 months to 1yr. I guess we'll see. I plan to burn a test disc, and keep it stored in a safe place, and scan it once every 2 months, and see If I get progressively worse scans. I'll also scan a Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden disc tonight. I'd like to see how the two compare ;)

This was burned by my LG WH10LS30 via imgburn at 2X. I currently don't trust bd media over 2X, unless it's the TY/verb discs. Unfortunately, the LG drive is incapable of scanning the discs :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

JVC/Taiyo Yuden 4X LTH non-hub printable (TYG-BD-Y03-001). Burned at 2X on my LG WH10LS30, and scanned by iHES108. I'll burn and scan a Verbatim next.
    [​IMG]