1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

And here is the Verbatim disc. 2X Verbatim LTH (VERBAT-IMw-00) at 2X via Imgburn and LG WH10LS30. As you can see, Taiyo Yuden once again smokes the competitors :D
    [​IMG]

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

And here is a Taiyo Yuden/JVC 4X LTH BD burned @4X via Imgburn/LG-WH10LS30. The last scan probably would have looked more similar to this one, but it was scanning at 6X. Now I have control of the scan speed, with Version 1.50 of Opti drive control. Although I had to click refresh. It also shows the proper Disc MID. I've also successfully modified the 7L09 firmware, to read Dual layer BD's at 8X. We'll see how it does now ;)

I will definitely spend a little more on the TY discs from now on. Verbatims are good, but TY's are obviously better. I sure would like a 21mm hub printable TY bd though. These have a 43mm Hub.
    [​IMG]

3. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

... so do I understand correctly that the speed you scan at could affect how 'good' the scan is? That complicates things even more. Question- what speed does a standars DVD PLAY at?

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Standard is ~1X of course ;) Speed of scanning varies by optical drive. As far as I can remember, Lite-on drives have always done well at 4X. If you look at the 6X scan, you can see where it begins to degrade beyond 4-5X. Although the verbatim shows little to no sign of it. All that matters to me, is that the Taiyo Yuden discs continue to smoke the competition. I would expect nothing less, from the company that introduced the first Burnable CD-R :D

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOL.... remember EYE CANDY people... these scans are just that... if you want to really know how a disc is then get in touch with someone similar to JoeRyan and let them check the disc for you.... they use multi-thousand dollar equipment to do their scans... NOT $20 Optical Disc Drives... LOL

I have to do a couple of older movies for me dad... I'll see if I can remember to scan and post the results.... ;)

Oh... and 8x is the norm atm with Lite-on's newer drives... and I think that NEC scan at 5x... I can't remember if it's NEC or another manufacturer...

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The scans generally speak for themselves. Interpretation is also important of course. Im sure the high dollar equipment would simply verify my findings :p

My NEC drives scan at 5X, my lite-ons have always been good at 4X. 8X is however highly similar. Though my BD drives would never reach that speed...

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Did you guys see where the inventor of the the original CD died in Japan this past week?

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Eh? Elaborate :p

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's interesting, and unfortunate at the same time.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's another Ritek blu ray burned at 2X. It's not favored by 2 different players, so I was curious about the scan. Since it's within specified parameters, I'm forced to believe BD players firmwares are not smart enough yet to deal with these discs.
    [​IMG]

12. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

Holy Crap, I've got a bizarre scan to show you. It actually wasn't going that badly, and suddenly it shot off to the moon. I was testing the TDK DL stack I just got on sale recently, and it was a back up I did with DVDShrink to ISO, and onto the TDK. I've had good luck with the TDK 16X DVD-R I stocked up on a long time ago, so I thought I'd try these. But when I put it in my stand alone, it kicked and sputtered forever. What confuses me is, they're TDK, scan as Ritek, and say Imation Corp on the label. (huh?) Just look at this scan....!!

[​IMG]
    Do THEY suck, or do I?
    To be honest It might be partly my fault- I've never yet made a successful DL. Can anyone send me somewhere to get some guidance on that?

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If you use imgburn, it's generally automatic, and excellent. Ritek simply isn't very good(Especially DL's). What speed did you burn those at? I'd recommend 2.4X or 4X tops. I generally don't burn my Verbs beyond 4X, but I know they can handle it.

14. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

I don't think I have ImgBurn. I've been reading online all afternoon, and saw one reference to a possible problem- I used SHRINK, but had not unchecked "remove layer break" under preferences. I'm going to try again with that correction. Also, I think I read that you should save as folders, not ISO for DL burns. Have you got an opinion on that?

I wouldn't have gotten the TDK DLs, but they were dirt cheap, so I risked it. I burned at Lo-o-o-ow 2.4 speed, figuring the less I rush it, the better.

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@bluesbabe

If you notice the scan, the huge spike occurs at the layer break and goes downhill from there. I put even less emphasis on DL scans. And dirt cheap media might appear to be a good buy, but in the end the discs are dirt and you're out the cheap part $ also. Stick to the Verb DLs the slower the better. Find all the 2.4X speed Verbs out there and burn them @ 2.4X with IMGBURN!!!!!!as ISOs or Files. It will choose or let you choose the layer break. Sure fire successs.

here link for ImgBurn using files: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  16. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

Garmoon
    Yeh, I knew it was risky, but 50 of them were $25. It was too tempting. Next time, I'll know better. I figured the spike was the break. The second layer looks awful compared to the first.
    Wow, thanks so much for the link- it's exactly what I'll need. But I'll have to download imgburn, and learn how to use it. I've been using shrink for ages and I'm already comfortable with it. Now I'll have to start over.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

@bluesbabe.. you don't have to start over just use a little different technique. ;)

IMGBURN is a great product... I use it almost exclusively... I also like Nero but to each his/her own. ;)

Try using IMGBURN with files or ISO.. doesn't matter if you ask me.... and then at 4x speed.. those discs should do just fine at that speed... Make sure you have the latest f/w for the drive that's successful and also make sure your discs are in good shape too... you know ... NO dust or visible defects. :)

Use the "automatic" setting for the layer break unless your positive your decision is better. ;)

good luck

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I agree with Greensman.

I generally don't scan dual layer media. I'm quite content with my Verbatim DL(Singapore) discs. If there were a problem with one(never happened), I'd look sharply at the burner that burnt it. Something of note, the second layer of a scan, always seems to look worse than the first(Verbatim, Ritek etc). Not sure if it has something to do with readability, or simply something about the dyes. I'd really like to play with a few Verbatim DL Blu Ray discs. But at 10$ average each, I think not!!! This is hub printable by the way...

19. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

Thanks folks, but it's still not working. First, a reminder- I'm trying to make a backup, so my first problem is saving. ImgBurn says it won't do that. Shrink will.
    I am uncomfortable discussing this since I don't want to violate forum rules. I have the impression you aren't supposed to talk about making copies of protected material. I own it, but I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Is there any way to check blank discs to see if they are flawed?

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

then you may copy it! Use anydvd to create the iso or files folder. or even shrink can make the iso or files. Rip it with anyDvd or DvdFab and write the dl with Imgburn. That's what I do. I,like greeny, use Nero-version suite 8- almost exclusively for single dvds. For me Recode rules. I especially love Nero Burn Rom for multiburns.