1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I pm'd him. But I agree with your process as well. Basically what ever works easiest for people ;) Truly a shame that Imgburn can't do multiple simultaneous burns. LightningUK says it'll likely never happen too. Which is fine and good really. Nero has my respect. Its engine worked for me for many discs :D

2. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

Unfortunately, that's exactly what I've been doing, and not one of them has worked. I tried Shrink ISO, then nero DL burn, I tried Imgburn ISO, (despite the protection warning) then ImgBurn DL burn, I tried Shrink to files, then ImgBurn DL burn, etc - nearly every combination- and every one of them fails to play in a standalone player. They kick and sputter, and never load. One of them got as far as saying it was a DVD-rom instead of a DVD. They will play on my computer, if I work hard at it, but that's all. Is there any way to be absolutely certain the discs are simply junk? For all I know there's some simple little detail I'm missing in the settings.... Does the fact that I'm burning to a DL complicate it?
    I even looked at AnyDVD, but can't afford that.
    PS @ O-man, what's pm'd mean?
    EDIT: LOL, just got your pm, now know what that means.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. greensman

greensman Regular member

pm = private message. ;)

There has to be something that's going amiss here. :(

Ground Zero again... sorry...

Drive your using (ODD)

Is your HDD "defragged"?? (look up defrag Hard drive)

Make double sure you're NOT going above 4x record speed.

Another thing to check is the process you're using (you've said something about IMGBURN, Nero, DVDShrink, etc..)

I really think another thread to figure this stuff out is the way to go...

For free use, this is what I'd look at. ;)

DVDFab HD free or AnyDVD trial version (for ripping DVD to HDD)

DVDShrink (or CloneDVD trial version or DVD ReBuilder) to reduce or "shrink" your image if needed

IMGBURN to burn file or ISO image to disc...

IF this process isn't working (I don't care what kind of DVD blanks) then something hardware is sabotaging your end process.... jm2ยข

4. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

Hmmm
    You might have something there, re defrag. It's a place to start, anyway. I'm going to be away, for a few days, and I'll whittle at these while I'm gone. I've tried 2 different drives with the same result, but I'll make sure both have the newest updates.
    Where, for a another thread?

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

What movie are you doing? You must be using Fab to get around protection. I don't think Fab -free version- allows just a rip. But if it's a DL then it should get the files to HDD and let you burn them somewhere. This is just too easy. The movie industry has given up on copy protections. I defrag the day I want to copy dvds whether it says to or not. I also run CCleanner every time I leave web.

Ultimately you will try anyDVD and wonder why I waited for so long. It's the goose that lays golden eggs.

Free trial anydvd> let ImgBurn make ISO while anyDVD runs or rip to hard drive as an ISO with AnyDVD or as Files with anyDVD> Burn files or ISO with ImgBurn AnyDVD will read your new dvd after the burn and if it gives the info it will play. I diasable anydvd when I burn with ImgBurn on DL +R discs @2.4X or 4X. so you have to reopen anydvd after burn to read new copy.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Eh hem, aren't you forgetting about $ony LOL! Green hornet had a new protection. THough it was circumvented quickly. Get it yet $ony?

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I didn't get green hornet until Friday. I did notice that it took AnyDVD about 5 minutes to finally be able to open the disc for recode. I used Any 6790 haven't neeeded an update in a while. I just watched the copy and it played flawlessly and I have copied it also. I did notice the $ony part but Anydvd ultimately handled it. I didn't even try Fab. I've learned to given anydvd all the time it needs, and I think this was the logest so far to open one.There didn't seem to be any new stuff listed in anydvd on opening.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Usually, I'll let my lite-on drives have some time. But my Optiarcs generally don't take long to scan a disc. I did let it scan for at least 3 min. A beta was released however, that corrected the long scan, or inability for some to scan at all. I no longer have trouble with it. Running 6.8.0.0 myself :p Did anydvd mention anything about updating before it could scan the disc? I've noticed how it does that sometimes. It'll do a small update for new discs sometimes.

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Yeah the scanning ODD was the Litey 20A1S. AnyDVD doesn't mention GHornet by name but they did a lot of fixes on the dvd side.:

AnyDVD History

6.8.0.0 2011 05 03
    - New (Blu-ray): Support for new Java based protection
    - New (Blu-ray): Support for AACS MKB v23
    - New (Blu-ray): Added support for new BD+ protection
    - New (Blu-ray): Updated decryption keys
    - New (Blu-ray): Improved BD-Live removal
    - Change (HD DVD): Removed obsolete option to "remove all menus from HD DVD"
    - New (DVD): Support for new copy protections
    - New (DVD): Removed the unreliable remastering options and added new remastering based on results
    of the AI scanner
    - New (DVD): Allow removal of annoying menu clips
    - New (DVD): Allow removal of annoying menu intro / outro clips
    - New (DVD): Allow removal of annoying titles
    - New (DVD): Using new driver interface, featuring threaded I/O and "Magic File Replacement(tm)"
    - New (DVD): Driver uses much less non-paged memory
    - New (DVD): Creates Disc ID .xml file
    - Fix (HD DVD & Blu-ray): Bug introduced in 6.7.9.5, authentication didn't work
    - Fix (DVD): CloneMap error with some discs
    - Fix (DVD): Possible BSOD when subtitle transparency is enabled
    - Fix (DVD): Bug introduced in 6.7.9.0, the XBOX360 playback fix had some undesired side effects
    - Some minor fixes and improvements
    - Updated languages

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a BD-R scan, of an Optical Quantum(Philps Dye),4 - 8X capable, burnt at 2X. I can't say I'm surprised. Philips has always been a thorn in my side...

Oddly, the BD player prefers these over the better scanning Riteks.
    [​IMG]

11. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

Actually, it's a short PBS series. Ten episodes of a nature series by the BBC, and it's older, so new protections aren't the issue. I tried several things:
    I simply used DVDShrink, and ripped it to my hard drive, both as an ISO, and as files. I also did that with ImgBurn, despite a message about protection. Then I made various attempts to burn either files or ISO to disc using Nero and ImgBurn. Every time, I got the "completed successfully" message. They flat out won't play in a stand alone, They DO play in my computer, though some versions play better than others, but that would seem to indicate that the back up to my HD must have worked, right?
    I still need to defrag. In fact, I'll do that right now.....
    * PS- ('just a rip') Is a 'rip' different than a copy?

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Dvd-Roms are far better readers than any standalone. My BD-Rom will play any burned BD-R, but the BD player doesn't like Ritek discs. Noticing a similarity here? ;) Standalone players really like good quality discs. There are however players that aren't picky. I have a buddy that's ok with Ritek discs. And I've burned a few tv shows for a lady friend, and very cheap +RW's. She uses an Xbox to play them. They're very picky too...at least some of them. But not all xbox's are created equal. Some have lite-on drives, others do not. Some have toshiba hard drives, others do not.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a scan of a disc from a 2005 package of 16X Verbatim +R's. Haven't seen a verb scan this good in a long time! You were right GM! This borders on a Yuden T02 scan. About as good as TYG02(TY-R). Very impressed. These will be for important jobs ;)
    [​IMG]

14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Back when verbatim made top quality stuff-excellent scan

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea its luck of the draw with verbatim now. MIT MII MAE you just don't know what your getting anymore. hell ive been using TDK(ritek F-16) the pass couple months. haven't been getting good scans but everything plays fine so go with it..lol hows it going all? outside of working like a dog doing well here. beat what i was doing before working like a dog..lol hope to get back in here more often. even if its just to say hey..

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

How are ya rob? Wish I was working like a dog. I'm lucky to get 4-5 hrs a night. It's a part time job :( I'm a bachelor, so a full time job would help me greatly! I'm picky though. I refuse to flip burgers or pump gas...
    I've used a few F-16's, they're ok provided they're burned by my optiarcs. Still got 75 of them. I Only use them for specific jobs.

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

HiYa Rob yeah my optiarcs love those Riteks In fact I give them to my daughter when I back up her discs.

Happy Independence Day! to all on the west or east side of the pond-looks like we'll all sink or swim together anyway.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, my last remaining Asus 24B-1ST just died! It was playing a DVD and suddenly the DVD froze. I took out the drive and cleaned it, checking for any cracks or scratches, and put it back in the drive, and the movie started playing again. All of a sudden the drive revved up real fast and began to vibrate attention getting bad. Before I could reach the eject button, the disk exploded with a loud crack. The disk tried very hard to escape via the rear of the drive, bending the metal lip of the cover that fits over the beige plastic cover on the back of the drive out about 1/8". How it managed to do that without breaking the plastic is beyond me, but the plastic is intact and the cover lip is seriously bent! I may replace it with an Optiarc AD-7261S-0B. I've heard good things about them!

Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Dang. I've heard about discs exploding in the past. Never had it happen myself. I had an Asus drive for a time. When I become uneasy about drives, I either toss them(depends on age), or I pass them off to a friend or family. The Asus I believe began ignoring read errors. I believe it was a rebadged Lite-on.

Optiarc(NEC chipped) for the win :D I have a 7261S. Haven't used it for a reading drive yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to. Every Optiarc I've owned appears to read well. But they are exceptional burners ;)

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Dang Russ... sorry to hear that mate.... I've been idle with ODD for a while now... I think the newest one I have may be from 08 or 09.... lol.

Good luck in your search buddy...